Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyClark wrote:
I thought I told you about my endeavors with Cold Hex Luis.

Yeah, you told me something, but I think you din't mention any specific rules. Anyway, I had no doubt that you had checked this one. I didn't expect it to be nearly as cold as Misere Hex, though (that's why I only named it "chilly" :-)

The other Hex variant I mentioned should work better, but it features material imbalance, something you explicitly wanted to avoid, IIRC. It would probably be more interesting if players were allowed to make an unlimited number of joining moves (the Ayu ones) on a single turn, provided that each one is made with a stone from the same group as the previous one. This should be more than enough compensation for not increasing your stone count on your turn.

I'm going off-topic here, though. I've posted this in the Hex variants forum (namely here) so that you can comment there if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Not to offend but this idea that moving in the center could create a bigger advantage than having more stones on the board in Yodd/ Xodd is pretty much preposterous. In Yodd the central cell is of no more significance than most games, just as in Hex the advantage is on a continuum, decreasing as you move away from the center. Furthermore Xodd can be played on an even sized board. The only disadvantage that struck me for the second player is that he must create more groups on his first turn. In the case of either variant the second player does have to create 2 groups vs his opponent's 1 however he can place these two groups such that they can be connected on the following turn, effectively making them one group. Placing the stones in a bridge formation on the hex board or diagonally adjacent on the square board will not allow the opponent to immediately cut the connection. In the case of Xodd, even if you don't connect these groups immediately the opponent cannot break the connection without creating as many groups. I think the game is balanced already, there's no need to be adding rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Congrats on Yodd getting programmed at iggamecenter Luis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyClark wrote:
Congrats on Yodd getting programmed at iggamecenter Luis!

Thank you, Corey!

Also, to those who are following this discussion: Arty implemented the game with the original rules (i.e. 1-2-2 move protocol, no pie rule). It would be a pity to use the pie rule right from the start if it ends up not being needed at all (which I hope).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
And you're right about Omega: in fact, it was my main inspiration for this game.

Glad to hear that OMEGA has inspired a new game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
Interesting game, but a bit oddly specified, I think. Rather than saying the goal is to have fewer groups of your color, isn't it more natural to say the goal is to have more? If I understand it correctly, since both players can place stones of both colors, it's equivalent if you swap the colors of the players.

When I think about it, it's probably best to think of the color you spend most time placing as "your" color, and define the goal accordingly (to minimize or maximize number of groups in that color).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
Interesting game, but a bit oddly specified, I think. Rather than saying the goal is to have fewer groups of your color, isn't it more natural to say the goal is to have more? If I understand it correctly, since both players can place stones of both colors, it's equivalent if you swap the colors of the players.

When I think about it, it's probably best to think of the color you spend most time placing as "your" color, and define the goal accordingly (to minimize or maximize number of groups in that color).

That's precisely why the goal is to have the fewest groups. If you have a look at any Yodd game, you'll see that players drop stones of their own color most of the time. Furthermore, Yodd is a connection game, and connection games are supposed to be about joining, not splitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.