Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Thematic Games» Forums » General

Subject: Best Space Hulk Substitute? - Dudes in a Corridor or Aliens Reprise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Claustrophobia is a much better game than Space Hulk in terms of depth and replayability. To me the Genestealer player is a bit simple in SH while the Demon Player in Claustrophobia has many more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Leeds
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
copies of space crusade regularly turn up on ebay and go for less than £30. I havn't played it but by reputation its more dungeon crawler like than spacehulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own SH and play it using the sound effects module which makes the game the most thematic in my collection. It recreates the atmosphere of the Alien movie like no other game. The downsides of SH are:
1. Playing the genestealers is nowhere near as fun as playing the Marines.
2. Having to assemble the pieces.
3. They are not prepainted. (but they are unbelievably detailed)
4. The cost.
5. The Corporate Bully attitude at GW.
I don't own Claustrophobia but that looks like a fantastic game with pre-painted miniatures and high quality components like SH. If I didn't own SH I would definitely own C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question:

Is there a set of miniatures rules that does this job? I know, I know, this is BoardGame Geek! Just wondering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray.T
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Related question:

Is there a set of miniatures rules that does this job? I know, I know, this is BoardGame Geek! Just wondering...

Funny, I never thought of it that way before. Board games or miniature games, it's all good here. Sure, the name of the web is "Board Game Geek" but almost every miniatures rule book that you can think of - including some of the more rare OOP ones - are in that BGG data base. So I have always thought of the BGG website as a site for all games for all gamers whether it be board or miniatures - and yes, even card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Related question:

Minis games are boardgames. Even if there's no board ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I think Claustrophobia is a much better game than Space Hulk in terms of depth and replayability. To me the Genestealer player is a bit simple in SH while the Demon Player in Claustrophobia has many more options.
(emphasis added)

Especially when you throw Claustrophobia: De Profundis and those wretched Hellhounds into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Taylor
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Related question:

In the gap between Space Hulk 2nd and 3rd editions, there was an article posted on GW's website that described a way to play a SH-type game using their kill-team rules.
Not sure if that is still online though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a new question, by any means! It ranks right there with "What are good dungeon-delving games?"

Having said that, I actually own most of the games mentioned here, as I have a soft spot for this genre (and dungeon-delvers as well).

1. You can easily recreate Aliens from the files here on BGG. Geek mail me if you want some personalized advice. The game is incredible, but tough on the Colonial Marines (as it should be!). I made a copy for myself that looks outstanding and I've even converted the rules to work as a minis game.

2. Doom: The Boardgame is another great game. Even tougher for the Marines to survive, but really satisfying if you do win. Plays like the video game it was fashioned after.

3. Space Hulk is, well, Space Hulk. It's pretty, it's expensive and it's fun.

4. Space Crusade is Space Hulk Lite and usually cheaper to find.

5. Incursion is Space Hulk, but Weird War II. It's more fun than SH, IMHO.

I've not tried Claustrophobia or the other new game that was recommended. I've held off buying Claustrophobia because it's only two player. Aliens, Doom and Space Crusade are all multi-player games. Space Hulk and Incursion are two-player as well, but can be adapted to accommodate more.

That's my two cents worth of info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray.T
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:

5. Incursion is Space Hulk, but Weird War II. It's more fun than SH, IMHO.

Incursion seems to be a spin-off of the early Castle Wolfenstein and Return to Castle Wolfenstein video games. Zombies, bad ass bosses, etc.

Neat idea for a theme, so no wonder it was made into a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I thought the old Avalon Hill's Star Ship Troopers (Movie version) board game was a great SpaceHulk-lite game.

Doom also compares favorably to 'Hulk.

After that, Task Force Game's old Intruder was a great ALIEN-inspired game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Personally, I thought the old Avalon Hill's Star Ship Troopers (Movie version) board game was a great SpaceHulk-lite game.

This one? Starship Troopers: Prepare For Battle!

I haven't played Forlorn: Hope yet, but I've been curious about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Task Force Game's old Intruder was a great ALIEN-inspired game.

Which just got re-published! Well, digitally, anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
What about the board game (also with miniatures!) called Aliens.

However, there is down side to getting this game. It's Out Of Print Print Print Print. But a friend of mine got a great copy off of ebay, and another buddy simply just made his own copy of the game. So if you really wanted it...

You could also download a free digital version (the base game is here, a variant is here), IF you don't mind playing the game on a computer AND you or a friend have a BGE license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
What boardgame is best at creating the thematic experience of the movie Aliens?

I think "Aliens: This Time It's War" does a good job of this. However, it's a card game that uses counters, not a true boardgame.

I created a free digital version of it (see here), for those who aren't inclined to craft PNP games, or who find ordering it from Artscow to be too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incursion is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm seconding (thirding? fourthing?) Incursion. You kind of need to be a fan of the "Weird War II" thing in order to get into it, but it's really brilliant. Especially if you're willing to do a little Print and Playing and can get all of the extra dudes they offered rules for on the internet (the nazi brain-in-a-jar is wonderful for holding down corridors).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nutter
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Massive fan of these type of games.

Have nearly all of the above.

Have to also agree with Incursion being a fantastic game.

And I treasure my copy of Aliens and the Expansion which I had the phenomenal good sense to buy in the late 80s/90s when it first came out.
Its a fairly static map board, however, I put together some boards for the Aliens game that you can download to give it a bit more of an Space Hulk feel..

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71707/aliens-colony-ma...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71930/aliens-colony-hi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Sanger
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haven't played it but i'm considering getting it, you could try GunCrawl: A game of Close Quarters Havoc its a P&P available at www.worldworksgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn should also be considered. Great theme. Deep gameplay. It was on Tanga cheap today... looks like it sold out though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Smith
msg tools
I would suggest doom with the expansion. I like it much better than space hulk, it can accommodate more players, has more depth and tactics and the components are even better due to monster variety. And each character has unique abilities that are randomized which adds so much replayability. It really is great fun. It can also be found cheaper than space hulk even with the expansion included on ebay. I just kept watching for a couple weeks and managed to snag them together for $110.

I will warn though, the expansion is almost mandatory, but out of all the dungeon crawls I've played, which is my favorite game type, this one is the best in my opinion. Disclaimer, I only prefer it over descent because the theme is cooler than generic high fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tigger Nicholson
msg tools
As a note : Using the info here on boardame geek, its entirely possible to make your own copy of Spacehulk, provided you have a printer and a pair of scissors.
There are components lists, etc, and you can find the updated living rules and scenarios online, plus (if you dont have the miniatures) its not difficult to find cardboard minis or even tokens to replace the expensive GW miniatures. (In my case I had a load anyway, but theres plenty of cardboard print and play space marines/aliens out there )
For the floorplans I used vinyl floor tiles, but they're rather thick and heavy to cut , but print and play floortiles are easily found too.

As for an actual alternate game, I'd probably agree with the recommendations for Doom and Gears of War...but dont forget Deathwing, the FFG card game...different from the miniaturs/move type of game, but still has a SH thematic feel, and playable solo to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Roll.
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Omega Protocol]. I have not played this but it might fit, although it doesn't play solo I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilson
South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a bit off topic but what about space hulk iOS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AT,

Hmm, so many games.... Like others I find Incursion to be the closest to Space Hulk mechanically, and out of the box you get more variability than in vanilla SH. My thoughts on some competitors, for what they are worth, are:

Aliens Nice game, even without the minis, but IMHO has limited replay value, and only a few scenarios.

Claustrophobia Is a lovely and thematic game, but perhaps less tactically intricate, the decisions are different somehow as you effectively redesign your characters each turn. Perhaps more exciting for the demon player compared with genestealers

Space Infantry Rather abstracted but still engaging. I view it as like the perspective of Lt Gorman in the movie rather than the marines themselves.

Forlorn: Hope Quite close to SH again, but somehow I can't get past the comic quality of the alien depiction. It's good, but the graphics just don't gel for me; the aliens look like they belong in

The Awful Green Things From Outer Space perhaps more influenced by Alien rather than Aliens, this is a fun romp with alien enemies with variable powers. Definitely tongue-in-cheek though....

Intruder is similar, but a bit more serious. It is an entertaining solo experience, and there are some lovely updated bits posted on the 'geek.

Starship Troopers Deals with super powerful marines against hordes of aliens, but the hexes are a mile across! And the alien tunnels are designed by the alien player and secret from the Mobile Infantry player. An oldie, but I like it a lot.

Starship Troopers: Prepare For Battle! Has some lovely bits, and is a fun game, but can't really decide what it wants to be; I think it plays more like a single man level modern combat game. But this may reflect the film!

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game does a remarkable job of modelling the Space Hulk milieu with just cards and dice. I like it a lot, and it's a lot easier to carry around than SH, but in the end it does feel very different.

Advanced Space Crusade is a beast of a game; it doesn't come with enough minis to actually play and the rules are far more involved than either SH or Space Crusade, but the geomorphic tiles are good for capturing the inside of a living ship, and the random map generation tiles are reminiscent of those in Space Hulk: Deathwing Expansion

Project Pandora: Grim Cargo is an interesting and similar approach to SH , but the mutated rats didn't really appeal, the minis are weak, and it felt a bit like Ultra Marines, a bit light and one dimensional. It's in my loft now. And finally

Bug Hunter Sniper!: Sniper! Companion Game #3 gives some of the same attraction as SH, but with counters and a few cards. It has modular maps for spacecraft and planetside, there are several different alien attributes, and of course it is compatible with the rest of the sniper series; I have fun running Predator-style bits mixed with Sniper! Special Forces: Sniper Companion Game #2. This is a more complicated game though. I also bought some nice 10mm minis for this and use the maps with (modified for hexes) SH rules for a far smaller table footprint. Bughunter comes with counters that are suitable for blips, flamers, overwatch etc etc.

Of course, these views reflect my own prejudices. I guess my faves are Incursion and Claustrophobia. In the end though I think the elegant simplicity of SH first or third ed. is hard to beat.

Cheers,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.