Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

I really like this game, especially the IPhone version, but I know it's not something my normal group would play because of the theme. I thought how the same mechanics could work with my group, and think I have something.

Instead of building a ancient civilization, you are a small time criminal building up your empire. Money works the same, Disasters become levels of law enforcement (cops, FBI, CTU), and the Goods become Contacts in organized crime (Street Gangs, the Mob, the Illuminati) who learn of bigger heists. Most of the Developments can be renamed into a crime that works with the effect, but I have trouble thinking of ideas for the Cities and Monuments.

I've had some ideas, but none work out perfectly. My first thought was that Workers become Hit Men which let you take over Neighborhoods (Cities) or Businesses (Monuments). But then I didn't have an idea for something that would "feed" everything. My next though was that Workers represent Addicts, turning the food into narcotics. This works a little better, but I feel it makes the variant more about being a drug dealer instead of a crime lord.

Are there any morbid ideas out there that can help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Eastern Pennsylvania Game Society
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Each city can be replaced by a crew of criminals. The more crews you have working the more crime you are committing. As far as food, that's protection money that you are paying to law enforcement, courts, amd any one else a criminal organization has to payoff. Not enough payoffs (food) more law enforcement (disasters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
Each city can be replaced by a crew of criminals. The more crews you have working the more crime you are committing. As far as food, that's protection money that you are paying to law enforcement, courts, amd any one else a criminal organization has to payoff. Not enough payoffs (food) more law enforcement (disasters).

Thank you for your thoughts.

I had thought about the Food as Payoffs, but then I thought it would be too similar to the Money roll and the heists from the Criminal Contacts. Do you think they are too close?

Another possibility for Food would be Blackmail, but I don't that it makes sense to blackmail criminals into working for you.

My current thought is that Food is Safe Houses. This way each gang has a place to hide after each round, and if they don't lay low, they attract the cops to you. Cities could still be small crews, and the Monuments can be Suburbs. Your gang runs the place, but other gangs might still lay claim to the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Eastern Pennsylvania Game Society
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about if the monuments are the big crimes. Instead of Great Wall its the Luthansa Heist. You could famous crimes from history. The Brink job, the Great Train Robbery, crimes like that. You goal is to become the greatest criminal in history. The points you earn for developments and monuments are you Reputation. The developments can be things criminal organizations need. Instead of Irrigation you can develop an Informer. Both negate the two skull disaster. Instead of drought it can be Police Raid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I'm trying, sorry that it's so long:

The goal is to get the most infamy from controlling more of the city, or doing more crimes.

DICE=
Workers=Henchmen
Food=Safe Houses
Money=Money
Goods=Criminal Contacts
Skulls=Heat

DISASTERS=Checked off on a Heat Chart
Not Enough Safe Houses=Eye Witness Talks
XX=Cops
XXX=FBI
XXXX=CIA
XXXXX+=CTU

WORKER BUILDS
Cities=Crews
Monuments=Neighborhoods (I used New York Neighborhoods so Harlem, Soho, Lower East Side, Tribeca, Chinatown, Civic Center(Great Wall) and Wall St.

GOODS=CRIMINAL CONTACTS
Wood=Thugs
Stone=Gang
Pottery=Drug Lord
Cloth=Mob
Spearheads=Illuminati

SHIPS=CRIMINAL NETWORKING

DEVELOPMENTS=CRIMINAL DEVELOPMENTS (same order, cost and effect from the late bronze age, just subbed out the words with the above)
10 Gun Running
10 Crooked Cops
15 Slum Lord
15 Gang War
20 Buy Off FBI
20 Drug Cartel
20 Counterfitting
20 Bribery
25 Networking
25 Blackmail Politician
25 Double Agent
30 Motel King
30 Friends from the Old Country
40 Prison Gangs
40 Capos
60 Legitimate Business Fronts
70 Goodfellas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.