Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Donovan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pleased to place pre-order #500 just now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
You're my hero! Muchas gracias!!!!

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Hopefully even more will pre-order. This means we can expect it next week, right???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris!! This is terrific--and I read it first here (had not been to the P500 page in a couple days).

Chris--If I may ask, what was it that persuaded you to pull the trigger?

Best regards! Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Donovan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Thanks Chris!! This is terrific--and I read it first here (had not been to the P500 page in a couple days).

Chris--If I may ask, what was it that persuaded you to pull the trigger?

Best regards! Volko

"Imagine

Nazis and their sympathizers are rarely boring...One such case is that of Carlos Lehder Rivas, a former kingpin of the Medellin drug cartel of Columbia: neo-Nazi, multimillionaire drug lord, convicted felon, prosecution witness against former Panamanian President and Santeria practitioner Manuel Noriega, and huge John Lennon fan.

Lehder's father was a German engineer who managed to emigrate to Colombia before the end of the war. Carlos Lehder himself was born in 1947, the product of a union between his German-born father and Colombian mother. His parents divorced shortly after Carlos was born, and his mother took him to New York City, where he eventually wound up selling pot in the Bronx as a teenager before getting arrested for grand-theft auto at the age of twenty-six. He had been stealing cars since he was eighteen.

By 1975, he was out of jail and back in Bogata. Three years later, and Carlos was one of the richest men in the world. He had understood that the key element in any narcotics operation was transportation, and - with his newly-acquired pilot's license - he set up a marijuana transport system that was the marvel of South American criminal enterprises. Not content with being a mere drug trafficker, however, Carlos Lehder decided he wanted to run the country. By 1983 he had formed a political party - the Movimiento Civico Latino Nacional (MCLN) - a rabidly nationalist, anti-American, anti-Communist and neo-Nazi party in which Hitler was extolled as "the greatest warrior in history," and Lehder's own open involvement in the drug trade nothing less than a means of toppling the imperialist forces (the United States) and destroying their influence in Latin America. He opened a resort hotel, the Posada Alemana (German Inn), a pastiche of Bavarian-style architecture, with a statue of Lehder's idol, John Lennon, as centerpiece of the hotel's disco: a club which blared a constant stream of Beatles music at all hours of the day and night. The statue itself is worthy of attention for here Lennon is depicted in the nude, wearing only a Nazi helmet, holding a guitar, and with a bullet hole in his heart!...

In any event, Lehder's many speeches to the press and to crowds of curiosity-seekers in his hometown of Armenia consistently invoke his theme of Nazism and the drug trade, equating cocaine with the atomic bomb: the secret weapon of the Nazis in their ongoing struggle against capitalism and American imperialism. Most DEA agents regarded these speeches as the ravings of a coked-up narcotraficante ...but then there was that little matter of a military coup in Bolivia, a coup masterminded by drug-runner and former Gestapo chief Klaus Barbie with the assistance of a secret Masonic organization based in Italy."

- Peter Levenda, "Unholy Alliance", 1995.

I don't take Levenda's sensationalist (and entertaining) writing too seriously, but it did pique my interest in the power struggle in Colombia during the period depicted in Andean Abyss. Also tired of waiting for the Angola reprint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Lennon statue image goes on a card or I'm not playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.