Subject: We need some strategy advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just got the game and we kind of can't figure out how to "play" the game. The rules are easy, but we're not seeing strategy. I see lots of talk here about different types of strategies, but we're not seeing it. Can you guys help a bit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I've only played a couple of times but I could quickly realise that burning through your deck as fast as possible isn't usually a good option.

I've played going for the Knockout and managed to win on the second round by focusing on staggers and counters and keeping an eye on defence on the first round.
I've also managed to win by snatching more combos than the opponent and still blocking a bit.

In both cases the opponent did finish the deck first but that meant she could not block my punches and was too unsure of the points in each pile to go for the Ding! card...

I think one must adapt to the opponent's style and see where the opportunities are to exploit the points he/she is neglecting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
My wife and I just got the game and we kind of can't figure out how to "play" the game. The rules are easy, but we're not seeing strategy. I see lots of talk here about different types of strategies, but we're not seeing it. Can you guys help a bit?

There are too many things to track than you can reasonably track at the same time... punching for score, blcoking, counterpunching, haymakers, combos, your health level...

Your strategy will be what you choose to focus on. Will you attempt to win the game by getting 3 round wins, which means outscoring your opponent? If so, maybe you'll concentrate on combos, on blocking, and on distribution of your high scoring punch cards.

Or will you try to win by knockout? If so, maybe you'll concentrate more on Counterpunches and Haymakers which do damage to the opponent.

Is your opponent trying to knock you out? Uh oh! Better start concentrating on Counterpunches and blocking so you don't lose the game while racking up points via combos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Klemer
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Steve. I'm only a couple of plays in, but I hope I can help.

After my first round, my (also first timer) opponent and I agreed to play the rest of the bout quite slowly and deliberately, so we could see what was going on. This helped quite a bit in a game where the instinct is to burn through cards.

By our second game we had a decent handle on it (although still couldn't track everything) and it became clear that my opponent had grokked the game as a whole quicker than me - he was routinely killing me on points. So I knocked him out in the next round with three haymakers and a counter . . .

Good players are going to be able to play fast and accurately. If you want to become a good player, it appears that you need to go slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I grasped the concepts straight away and was killing my wife on points. She got frustrated, but she's a fighter so she wants to figure it out. I'll be sure to share this with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.