Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: New Crossroads cards posted further down in the thread. Aug 30/12.
----

We have been playing with alternate Crossroads cards for several months now, and I finally got a hold of the image file so I can share them with the geek. Credit for these goes to a member of my playgroup for putting them together and

Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb

for inspiration (some of the cards may look quite similar to his revised Crossroads cards whistle).

We came up with these cards in attempt to combat two frequent complaints:

1. Not enough variety in Crossroads cards. We have 12 of them, compared to the expansion's 7.

2. Dumping trauma on one or two players to eliminate/box them. We've tried to reduce (but not eliminate) the trauma drawing and randomness that goes with that.

Overall, these cards have been going well for us. We've been using them for several months, and we typically play 1-3 times a week (yeah...we play a lot...perhaps too much (is there such a thing as too much BSG?)).

Please comment and ask questions! I will answer questions as best as I can; I think we've had enough discussions on them that I should be able to answer most questions. If I can't answer them myself, I should be able to answer them after my next BSG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculouse return, the super crisis that prohibits uses of OPG abilities still supercedes that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Said the Joker" refers to TRAMA tokens

Spelling Ninjaninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Miraculouse return, the super crisis that prohibits uses of OPG abilities still supercedes that?

Yes, I believe the super crisis supersedes the Crossroads card.

But I'm not 100% sure - I don't recall having that particular situation come up yet. I'll double-check tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
msg tools
Awesome, I'm going to give these a try with my group tonight and will report back assuming we don't get washed away in the hurricane!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend keeps asking if anyone has tried these cards out and if so, what they thought of them.

So in an effort to curb his questioning: has anyone tried them? If so, what did you think of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair H
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Strange Music crossroad card is trash, junk it. Why would anyone even play with that? Putting an extra Cylon in the game at Crossroads? No thank you! Who came up with that.

Played with the rest of these recently, though, and they all seem pretty decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's been a year since this was posted, and our Crossroads cards have undergone some changes. A couple of them really did not work well in certain situations (ie Gain Sympathy when the player had no trauma) and have been replaced with entirely new cards.

Here are the new ones:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
We've tried them in one of our games and so far so good. I especially like the Miraculous Return. Although it didn't turn up in our game.

All Along the Watchtower, benevolent effect should probably read "exchange two random trauma tokens with another players two random trauma tokens". Otherwise you'll just be exchanging the same tokens back and forth.

The Opera House could use some more drastic effects imo. I know it's meant to be the safe one of the draw. But it's slightly boring now, just like the original Opera House card.
How about instead > "Discard your hand of trauma tokens, and draw 3 new trauma tokens". This way there is a small chance you'll end up eliminated but it's miniscule.

Also, Perjury, Antagonistic effect is too random. It doesn't really achieve anything at all.
--
Other than that I think these are great cards and will be used in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you like them!

Philoman wrote:
All Along the Watchtower, benevolent effect should probably read "exchange two random trauma tokens with another players two random trauma tokens". Otherwise you'll just be exchanging the same tokens back and forth.

Not necessarily. You could have teammates trying to keep someone from getting eliminated.

Also, you don't have to pick a teammate. So if you're human and have a bunch of benevolent trauma and no antagonistic trauma, you're going to pick a cylon unless your cards are too dangerous in the hands of a cylon. And sometimes it's the hand exchange that's more important than the trauma exchange.

Philoman wrote:
The Opera House could use some more drastic effects imo. I know it's meant to be the safe one of the draw. But it's slightly boring now, just like the original Opera House card.
How about instead > "Discard your hand of trauma tokens, and draw 3 new trauma tokens". This way there is a small chance you'll end up eliminated but it's miniscule.

We really disliked the "draw 3 trauma tokens" in the original Crossroads cards, so made a point to not have it in these ones. You're welcome to change it for your group though!

Philoman wrote:

Also, Perjury, Antagonistic effect is too random. It doesn't really achieve anything at all.

It does if a human picks a cylon player in a bad spot (Res Ship, Human Fleet, even Cylon Fleet if you can clear the battle of IN before their turn). Similarly, a cylon could try to hamper team human, especially if targeting a player with little leadership (and no movement step = no movement cards). I think the Treachery draw was just to balance how much one side could hurt the other with that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Adria wrote:

Not necessarily. You could have teammates trying to keep someone from getting eliminated.
Also, you don't have to pick a teammate. So if you're human and have a bunch of benevolent trauma and no antagonistic trauma, you're going to pick a cylon unless your cards are too dangerous in the hands of a cylon. And sometimes it's the hand exchange that's more important than the trauma exchange.

I'm not saying it doesn't sometimes have it's uses. But it can just as well become totally meaningless as well with you exchanging the same trauma tokens back and forth. This is what I don't like.

Adria wrote:

We really disliked the "draw 3 trauma tokens" in the original Crossroads cards, so made a point to not have it in these ones. You're welcome to change it for your group though!

As a personal favor. Could you make one version for me, to draw 3 trauma tokens? I could make one myself but then it would look totally different from the rest of the Crossroads cards that are made by you.

Adria wrote:

It does if a human picks a cylon player in a bad spot (Res Ship, Human Fleet, even Cylon Fleet if you can clear the battle of IN before their turn). Similarly, a cylon could try to hamper team human, especially if targeting a player with little leadership (and no movement step = no movement cards). I think the Treachery draw was just to balance how much one side could hurt the other with that effect.

This again is imo too situational and is a burden to remember a few turns or possibly, a lot of turns later. I would like some more simple approach better "Activate Raiders twice" or something of that manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.