Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is one building that gets complaints about being too powerful, its probably the meatpacking plant. (hey there is even a thread about it in this forum).

Mathematically, the building isn't really 'too powerful', there are several other buildings on the same level or better than it in terms of point scoring efficiency.

However, the difference between them is that meatpacking plant is easy to build (its pretty cheap and fits extremely well into a strategy with Farm and Ranch that makes lots of workers), and the other buildings that are as good at scoring points as it are all hard to build.

As a consequence, someone can often get meatpacking earlier or with a lot less effort than anyone can manage to get another big building, and thus end up with more points at the end.

So essentially, meatpacking plant is 'too easy' to make work well.
You're getting a reward from it that you normally only get with more effort.

Because of the auction element, the game can be self-correcting. Experienced players probably know to bid up items early in the Town phase that can get the meatpacking plant. And by forcing people to pay more for it, it becomes balanced.

However, if you still dont like this aspect, I would recommend the following alternate version:

Cost increased by 1 Gold.
Points value and end of game increased by 2.

This doesnt really change the cost/benefit that much, but it makes it significantly harder to get early on, and puts it on about the same level as other big midgame scoring buildings like Church and the Special buildings.

Consider this an optional balance variant. If I was to do an expansion I would probably make a new meatpacking plant with this change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alex,

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking forward to trying it out soon. Just want to be sure I understand you though. You're saying an extra gold for the cost and the end of game value would go up from 2pts to 4pts, right?

Thanks,
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're getting soft. I've seen absolutely no evidence from my playing the game that the meatpacking plant is overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had players win with a meatpacking strategy in our group before, but I wouldn't say it is a dominant or overpowered strategy for us.

A bigger problem when we were first learning the game was someone getting the Bank for cheap. The auction levels that out now that we are experienced, but without players driving the price up it certainly seems to be a powerful building that works with almost any strategy.

I kind of like having the auction balance things in this game, but until all players are familiar with the buildings it's not so effective. Every game has a learning curve I guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
If I was to do an expansion I would probably make a new meatpacking plant with this change.

Please do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I like the extra 2VP's you get as that is what the extra gold is worth. I'm curious why this wasn't added in the 2nd edition. Did you simply not think of it in time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
You're getting soft. I've seen absolutely no evidence from my playing the game that the meatpacking plant is overpowered.

Hehe. Yeah, but I think you have to get to a high level of play before thats the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

Hehe. Yeah, but I think you have to get to a high level of play before thats the case.

Ooooh, disss! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
If I was to do an expansion

I take it from that "if" that you're not planning on doing an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

Ooooh, disss! devil

No, I meant that because he is at a high level of play, meatpacking is no longer too powerful. It is too strong for noob games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

I am planning to do an expansion, given sufficient time. Currently busy with school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for a Homesteaders expansion! Although the base game has an enormous amount of replayability as is. I still haven't gotten River Port to work very effectively for me. It's a really cool concept though, so I hope to one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
I am planning to do an expansion, given sufficient time. Currently busy with school.

I'm sorry, but you're clearly too cool for school!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

I'm sorry, but you're clearly too cool for school!

Yeah, too bad I cant support myself off of game designing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always videogame design (said the Udub droppout )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

Yeah we need this in a bad way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

I am planning to do an expansion, given sufficient time. Currently busy with school. :(

Yeah we need this in a bad way.

We want this in a bad way - need it, we don't. Already plenty of variation, it's just nice to have more stuff for a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.