Subject: Tweak on Trauma Tokens (Brig/Sickbay/Disaster) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Issue: Going to Sickbay is not painful enough (see the crisis cards that make you give up your firstborn, your house and your car OR send somebody to Sickbay). Going to the Brig was painful enough before Ionian Nebula.

Variant: Instead of drawing a trauma token if you start your turn in Sickbay, draw a trauma token once you enter Sickbay. Took this idea from
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb

Why? Also increases the likelihood that Cottle and Simon will be visited (especially Simon), instead of weird games where the allies stop cycling.
Thematic Justification: You are traumatized when you are injured and rushed to Sickbay, not after you've spent a few days in there and are ready to leave. And if you draw a disaster, then emergency measures to save you were unsuccessful.

Variant: Instead of drawing a trauma token if you start your turn in the Brig, draw a trauma token if you end your turn in the Brig.
Why? Drawing a disaster is less painful and at least avoidable. The Brig is already painful enough. Playing Boomer with Ionian Nebula is already painful enough. Increases likelihood that Six and Romo will be visited.
Thematic Justification: You attempt a failed Brig escape, and are severely punished/traumatized by the guards when it fails.

Issue: Drawing a disaster token (which is always on your turn) sucks. But drawing a disaster token when you're a hidden Cylon, often through no fault of your own, absolutely blows.

Variant: Humans still get executed if they draw a disaster (it's actually funny when it happens), and revealed Cylons still draw 2 trauma. If you're a hidden Cylon and you draw a disaster token, do not reveal it, and instead add it to your hand. You may not discard a disaster token or place it on an Ally unless you have no other trauma to discard/place. If you still have a disaster token in hand when your trauma is revealed at the end of the Crossroads Phase, discard it and draw 2 trauma. From this point forward, every player will know you're a hidden Cylon (if you're still human at that point).
Not needed with the first two variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We already use the Sickbay variant. I like the looks of the Brig variant. I like the hidden cylon draw variant, but my boyfriend doesn't.

A question about the last one: what happens when a cylon with a disaster token in hand reveals? Do they hold onto that disaster token until Crossroads, or may/must they reveal it and draw two tokens immediately?

Holding onto it until Crossroads means the cylon gets no chance to mitigate a possible draw of 2 benevolent tokens (or 3, if they get the other disaster token). One could argue that a cylon in that position should make sure to ditch all other benevolent trauma before revealing.

Holding onto the disaster token also lessens the odds of a human player drawing one. If there are two cylons sitting on disaster tokens (or one cylon with 2 disaster tokens), then there would be no way for humans to die via trauma draws. Granted they wouldn't know this and might still be hesitant to incur additional trauma.

Or are these just the trade-offs for not being outed via trauma draw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:

Issue:But drawing a disaster token when you're a hidden Cylon, often through no fault of your own, absolutely blows.

This happened to me on my first turn. I visited one of the starting allies who made me draw trauma and BOOM! hello Resurrection Ship.

Excellent variants btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:

A question about the last one: what happens when a cylon with a disaster token in hand reveals? Do they hold onto that disaster token until Crossroads, or may/must they reveal it and draw two tokens immediately?

Holding onto it until Crossroads means the cylon gets no chance to mitigate a possible draw of 2 benevolent tokens (or 3, if they get the other disaster token). One could argue that a cylon in that position should make sure to ditch all other benevolent trauma before revealing.

Holding onto the disaster token also lessens the odds of a human player drawing one. If there are two cylons sitting on disaster tokens (or one cylon with 2 disaster tokens), then there would be no way for humans to die via trauma draws. Granted they wouldn't know this and might still be hesitant to incur additional trauma.

Or are these just the trade-offs for not being outed via trauma draw?

Up to you. I supported holding on, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Bolded for emphasis. The idea that drawing a disaster should still handicap the cylons if a hidden cylon draws one, but it at least postpones the penalty and/or gives time to mitigate it, instead of having your evil plan immediately go up in smoke.

Sneaky cylon play makes the game fun for everybody (as opposed to revealing on turn 1), even if it's not always the best strategy. I like anything that encourages the cylon to stay hidden. It hurts when a cylon is being sneaky and is completely undone by drawing a disaster, often through no fault of his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like the changes. I don't like the Ionian Nebula module but these changes would improve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Up to you. I supported holding on, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Bolded for emphasis. The idea that drawing a disaster should still handicap the cylons if a hidden cylon draws one, but it at least postpones the penalty and/or gives time to mitigate it, instead of having your evil plan immediately go up in smoke.

Sneaky cylon play makes the game fun for everybody (as opposed to revealing on turn 1), even if it's not always the best strategy. I like anything that encourages the cylon to stay hidden. It hurts when a cylon is being sneaky and is completely undone by drawing a disaster, often through no fault of his own.

Fair enough.

I'll have to bring these suggestions up for tonight's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question:

Cylon player (hidden or revealed) makes it to Crossroads with a disaster token in hand. What happens if the disaster token is the only trauma token they have left?

They play the trauma on the card, and then....what? Choose an option on the card? Draw two trauma tokens immediately on revealing the disaster token? Or after resolving their card? Or after resolving all Crossroads cards? Not draw at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I say if this actually happens, when the disaster is revealed, draw a random trauma and use it to resolve the Crossroads Card.

So it's better to get rid of your last trauma and have a choice for Crossroads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we used the second variant (have already been using the first forever), and it was beneficial to the humans in that game. As Chief in the brig, we weren't sure there'd be enough cards to get me out so on my second turn in the Brig (saw Romo on the first, lost my cards), I XO'd pres Tory to play Quorom cards and draw cards that were instrumental to us passing checks. I died to a disaster token at the end of my turn. I was happy it turned out that way, as opposed to me dying at the start of my turn. The cylons ended up winning (due to Tory's Amoral inability to pass on skill checks) but I'm not sure about how they felt about the change in trauma dealing for the Brig. I suppose it would help a brigged cylon player, giving them a chance to reveal and keep some cards and a Super Crisis rather than losing everything on their turn.

We didn't try the third variant as most people in the group were against it. I think the biggest complaint is the inability to mitigate the trauma drawn at Crossroads. Especially if a revealed cylon has been given more trauma and had difficulty unloading it due to inaccessible allies (Colonial 1, Communications, etc).

Which leads me to another variant (requires Pegasus) that we implemented recently:

Human Weakness, Action: revealed cylon may play this card to discard one trauma token.

The cylon player is, in effect, dealing with their own human weakness. It costs them an action and a 3 point card, but they get to discard a trauma without relying on humans to move allies into damageable locations and may allow them to survive Crossroads. So far we've only seen it played for that effect once or twice (I know I used it once). In one or two other games, a cylon has held onto it as a back-up plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The third rule is nearly unnecessary if you use the second rule (Brig), since the hidden Cylon at least had a chance at escaping or revealing before drawing the disaster (all other ways of trauma draw are also avoidable).

Human Weakness sounds good. I made a similar "Activate Sleeper Agent" card before that went "Movement: The revealed Cylon with the most trauma tokens removes an Ally from the game board and discards its trauma token, replaces it with a new Ally, then places his own trauma token on it (resolve as if the ally’s location were damaged)." I like how trauma forces the cylon to remain hidden long enough to manage trauma, but this is a backup plan in case you get Brigged and/or executed early through no fault of your own. Made it a movement ability because the location a Cylon is nearly never matters, and movement abilities in Pegasus address this, but it comes up rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting to place a new ally optionally is an interesting way to allow cylons to get rid of trauma. Could be beneficial to humans if the cylons have a bunch of benevolent trauma, but could also be fun for cylons if they have a lot of antagonistic trauma. I'm guessing it's a treachery card?

We just went with adding an option to the Human Weakness card as we've never seen (that I can recall) Human Weakness played for it's normal text ability and it didn't require trying to make new cards. I really only see Human Weakness, as it is, being useful for CL agendas. Giving it the optional trauma discard ability makes it more than just a 3 pt negative card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
Like the first two ideas, third seems too complicated for my tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheza Moonmaiden
Germany
flag msg tools
We had a different rule for sickbay:

Issue: Since it's a near death experience and not just "a scratch", the sickay should be similar to an execution.

Variant: Whenever you're sent to sickbay, discard all but 1 card. You draw the normal amount of cards during your next turn.

If you use allies and trauma tokens, you gain the trauma token first, then handle the ally and after these two steps, you'd have to discard skill cards.

Why? Using Executive Order on a character in sickbay completely bypasses any ill-effect... no matter if you use trauma tokens or not. Sending the current player to sickbay is usually better than any other choice, as humans have more time to get him out of the sickbay.

Thematic Justification: If you're sent to sickbay, it usually means a mental trauma, a physical exhaustion or at least some severe injury. In any case, you shouldn't be "top fit" or "better of", if you're dragged out of sickbay earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.