Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were playing a 2-player game the other day and we came to a situation where she had almost exclusively defensive cards in her hand, i.e. wands, dragons. In such a scenario, she was stuck since she had no number cards, jesters, kings nor attacking cards to use. We checked the rules but couldn't find any indication of what to do in such a situation. Common sense suggests that she could just discard one card, as per the number card rule.
Anyone has any ideas? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Los Ranchos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we play it, generally....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
You can discard one card to draw another, or even discard several identical cards, just as the cards with numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Scott
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've hit this one a few times too. It does seem strange that they didn't really clarify it in the rules. We allow discarding of 1 card, although I guess it makes sense to permit discarding of multiple matching defence cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your input. I think we may try improving the exchange rate for power cards (i.e. wands, dragons). They are more important than number cards in general. Hence, we may discard 1 power card for the 2 top cards of the deck or discard 1 pair of power cards for the 4 top cards from the deck. Perhaps some of you may wish to give it a try and see if it works out well. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Scott
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how that would work though because you should only have 5 cards in your hand. If you could exchange 2 power cards for 4 top cards then you'd have a hand of 7 cards? Or do you mean pick 2 out of the 4 cards you've picked up (to still give a slight advantage since you ditched power cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for my late reply. Yes, the person who ditches 1 power card gets to choose 1 of 2 cards (from the main deck)to add to their hand, while discarding 2 power cards will allow a choice of 2 out of 4 cards to add to their hand. Unchosen card(s) will be placed into the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puncr0c wrote:
We've hit this one a few times too. It does seem strange that they didn't really clarify it in the rules. We allow discarding of 1 card, although I guess it makes sense to permit discarding of multiple matching defence cards.

The rules actually are spelled out in regards to this, but honestly I didn't understand them either until after having the same question, reading this thread, and then rereading the rules.

The rules state:

"1. Discard a single card OF ANY KIND and draw one card"
so that actually does imply discarding power cards as well (the image shows a number card, so that initially threw me off).

"2. Discard pair of identical NUMBER cards and draw two cards"
so it does not appear that you could discard pairs of power cards

So you can discard single power cards to avoid getting stuck with all defense cards (which would otherwise really be bad in a 3+ player game if you didn't also have any queens to defend), but you cannot discard more than one power card at a time. It's in the rules, but probably should have been clarified more.

cmarkboy wrote:
Sorry for my late reply. Yes, the person who ditches 1 power card gets to choose 1 of 2 cards (from the main deck)to add to their hand, while discarding 2 power cards will allow a choice of 2 out of 4 cards to add to their hand. Unchosen card(s) will be placed into the discard pile.

I don't think this would work out well at all...particularly for the Jester - it would almost always be better off to discard a jester and get a choice of two cards, instead of using the "chance" main play of this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.