Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Smith
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Treasure Map gets pulled on your Golem, do you have to trash it or can you "play it" by just keeping it in front of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to trash it. Playing your Golem cards is not optional and if you "play" Treasure Map you must do what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
You don't ignore a card's clear text just because the outcome is unpleasant. You pull a TM with Golem, you play it. Then you trash it. Then you trash one from your hand, if you have one. If you trashed one from your hand, you gain the 4 gold on your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Smith
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
swbarnes2 wrote:
You don't ignore a card's clear text just because the outcome is unpleasant. You pull a TM with Golem, you play it. Then you trash it. Then you trash one from your hand, if you have one. If you trashed one from your hand, you gain the 4 gold on your deck.

Well, I didn't find it 100% clear, because it says "Trash this and another copy of Treasure Map from your hand." The question was if you don't have one in your hand, do you do the instructions partially or not at all. I believe your interpretation is correct though... typically you follow a card's instructions as much as possible, when it can't be completely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how someone just getting into the game might not think it necessary to trash TM if you can't pay the whole cost, but I'm pretty sure the Seaside rules cover this situation (and if needed the Alchemy rules probably cover Golem), so there's really no excuse for asking this. ...Unless you just wanted to chat a bit with some dear friends. Then I will forgive you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amuzulo wrote:
I believe your interpretation is correct though

No need to depend on the word of someone online:

Seaside card descriptions wrote:
Treasure Map - You can play this without another Treasure Map in your hand; if you do, you trash this and gain nothing.

amuzulo wrote:
... typically you follow a card's instructions as much as possible, when it can't be completely done.

Delete the word "typically" and you have a general Dominion rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my most embarrassing Dominion moments:

"Hmm. This setup has both Treasure Map and Golem. Hmm..."

"I know! I'll buy two Treasure Maps and a Golem, and no other action cards. Then when I play the Golem, I'll be certain to get both of my Treasure Maps! I'm such a genius."

(A couple of minutes later...)

"Wait, so now I have to trash each of these Treasure Maps separately? I'm such an idiot."

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amuzulo wrote:
If a Treasure Map gets pulled on your Golem, do you have to trash it or can you "play it" by just keeping it in front of you?

If you pull a Treasure Map with a Golem as well as an acion that allows you to draw other cards (such as a Wharf or Council Room), you could always play the other action before Treasure Map. That way, if you draw a second map, you can take full advantage of the first. On the other hand, if you already have a second map in your hand, you can play the other action after Treasure Map to draw some Gold immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.