$10.00
Alan Kingsley
United States
Cheshire
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I suppose the gist of my question is right in the title.

The rulebook seems pretty straightforward and is well laid out, but (at first glance, at least) I feel like there are lots of little rules to the tune of "You can't do Y after X except during Z".

Fleet Captains has gotten me more and more excited as the summer has pressed on, and I do have friends who are big ST fans. However, I also know these friends well enough to realize that their eyes will glaze over if I keep throwing out exceptions and caveats while I explain the game.

So, are my impressions mistaken? Or, if there are lots of little rules, do they at least make enough thematic sense that my friend won't run away screaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen the theme carries the game very well and those little rules make sense, especially to a fan. The key is in how you teach the game. Don't stress those little rules, just get the core across and start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rulebook is pretty consise and organized in a way so it is easy to look up specific rules quickly. There are a lot of rules for certain game situations that may or may not come up but none of them are overly complex. A lot of them can be addressed as they are encountered in gameplay.

For example, if someone has the Tribbles encounter, the rules for beaming cargo to an enemy ship can then be explained so that person will know how to deal with the little furry nuisances.

Obviously, this will not be the case for everything. The cloaking action rules are somewhat involved and the Klingon player would need a pretty good grasp of them right from the start.

My advice would be to play one or two solo games so you can get as familiar with the rules as possible and keep the pauses to refer back to the rulebook to a minimum when you play with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard mellott
United States
summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was part of the playtesting and our group found that the rules were very straight forward and the only things to look up seemed to be things that happened rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kingsley
United States
Cheshire
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen a Wizkid game that was terribly hard to learn, they seem to be aiming at youth audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
I have never seen a Wizkid game that was terribly hard to learn, they seem to be aiming at youth audience.

They aren't hard to learn when they first come out at least. But as more expansions come out they tend to add new mechanics until it becomes very complicated. Heroclix has been around for 9 years now and it is pretty hard to learn thesedays.

Hopefully they won't make the same mistake with this game (but here's to hoping it lasts as long!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. They do get more difficult with time, due to adding powers and abilities.In Heroclix they made various rule changes as well, mostly aimed at 'balance' but I found them frustrating and unfun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
Good point. They do get more difficult with time, due to adding powers and abilities.In Heroclix they made various rule changes as well, mostly aimed at 'balance' but I found them frustrating and unfun.

I've been with Heroclix since the start, and found that some of the changes are good and some are bad. Lately they've been making good changes in general and the game feels more like a true comic-book battle than ever. I don't like it when they overcomplicate it with unecessary special powers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gunslinger81 wrote:
Well, I suppose the gist of my question is right in the title.

The rulebook seems pretty straightforward and is well laid out, but (at first glance, at least) I feel like there are lots of little rules to the tune of "You can't do Y after X except during Z".

Fleet Captains has gotten me more and more excited as the summer has pressed on, and I do have friends who are big ST fans. However, I also know these friends well enough to realize that their eyes will glaze over if I keep throwing out exceptions and caveats while I explain the game.

So, are my impressions mistaken? Or, if there are lots of little rules, do they at least make enough thematic sense that my friend won't run away screaming?

There is currently a file here that is a two page summary of the rules. It even refers back to the page of the rulebook if you need clarification. There also a "little things" section that warn players about how to do certain things properly. I plan on using his as handouts to all players.

After reading the rules, everything makes sense, thematic wise. You do a scanning action to scan a sector next to your or to find a cloaked ship. You do a transport action to send an away team to a planet. etc.

The missions, the ships, and even the powers of the crew members make perfect sense. Spocks special ability is to discard him to save the ship from blowing up! How awesome is that (bagpipes not included in game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it three times now and taught someone each time, let me say that the basic game is pretty easy to start out. It's just the rarely used actions like transporting, cloaking and scanning that add a level of complexity, but they are only used occassionally so it doesn't matter much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor_Zaius wrote:
There is currently a file here that is a two page summary of the rules. It even refers back to the page of the rulebook if you need clarification. There also a "little things" section that warn players about how to do certain things properly. I plan on using his as handouts to all players.

Craig,

which file are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.