Alien Frontiers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Re-Theme: Pirates of the Caribbean - Finished! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
A tribute to a great game! I just needed a "fresh" theme despite of SciFi or Fantasy...

Here is my re-theme:

Board
> Space for Rum and Gold token
> Space for drawpile and discardpile
> Indication where to place the in-game cards
> A bar for tracking the Victory Points

Counter for tracking the Victory Points

Dice (wooden die = Davy Jones Flying Dutchman = Relic Ship):

Cards (last card = reverse side)

The new Faction Cards
> Added a symbol in the lower right for identification

Handout

Faction Boards, Territory Counters, Marker for covering the spaces while playing a 2 or 3 Player game

Added some space for resources and Influence Marker (= Colonies)

I, P and R Field
> Kraken
> Cursed Coin
> Parlay

Rum and Gold token (and stuff I don't use anymore )

Ready to play!

This was fun ... I mean *Arrrrrh* arrrh

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As things are now:

New details always can be found at the bottom of the thread...

Last Update: 10-02-2011

--------------- Original Thread --------------------
Hello,

I'm about to begin a re-theme of this great game. In my(!) opinion it lacks in "theme". I don't really care beeing some nameless astronaut (well it changes a bit with the upcoming expansion). Furthermore I just created re-themes of Pandemic (Star Wars, with a twist: you play the Imperials) and Castle Panic (Lord of the Rings, defending Minas Tirith). So what theme to use?.... Pirates!

arrrh are always a good theme

I'll include the upcoming expansion as well. (not yet, but when the rules are final)

I think it fits well:

8 Planet Sections = 8 Seas

(rough! overview)
(the map is unfortunately not designed by me)

The white circle is the Caribbean Sea, which corresponds the Burroughs Desert (it's accessible from any other sea).

9 Factions = 9 Pirate Lords

More Details:
> The theme is strong enough to handle the Alien Tech Cards...
> The Bonus of the Burroughs Desert (the extra alien ship) = The Flying Dutchman (Davy Jones)
> Ore = Rum (come on, rum is most important for a pirate! )
> Fuel = Gold/Treasure )
> Dice = Ships as well
> Colonies = Some sort of "Influence" or "Power" Token
> Isolation Field = Kraken
> Positron Field = dunno yet (maybe the cursed treasure of part 1)
> Repulsor Field = Parley (means: discuss a treaty, negotiation, etc. without being attacked until the Parley is complete)

Hope you like my idea... Suggestions? Ideas? Feedback? Anything is welcome!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GeekList > Boardgame re-themes and other stuff... adventures from Star Wars to Middle Earth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re-Theme: Pirates of the Caribbean
I like it. It looks like a fun re-theming, but damn, that map has got to go. A treasure map map would be better, perhaps one with concentric circles in the middle that rotate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thx for comment!

Yeah, the uploaded map is just for visualization... it WILL change

The circles referr to the apropriate seas of the Pirate Lords, i.e. Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean and so on... therefore it should be some kind of world map. But I'm open minded!

A question: What do you exactly mean with "concentric circles in the middle that rotate". Any chance to give me a rough drawing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mainstream wrote:
Thx for comment!

Yeah, the uploaded map is just for visualization... it WILL change

The circles referr to the apropriate seas of the Pirate Lords, i.e. Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean and so on... therefore it should be some kind of world map. But I'm open minded!

A question: What do you exactly mean with "concentric circles in the middle that rotate". Any chance to give me a rough drawing?

I think he's talking about the magical map they used in Dead Man's Chest and in At World's End. That map was made up of concentric bamboo rings that rotated to bring different clues and maps to the viewer's attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mainstream wrote:

I think he is talking about the map from the movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think Alien Frontiers leads itself to be re-themed using the short lived, but totally awesome, TV series Firefly...think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would switch rum and treasure/gold around, personally. It doesn't work quite as well for the Orbital Market replacement, but otherwise it seems like a better fit to me. Especially for activating the equivalent of Alien Tech cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait.. where is Michael Bolton?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I think he's talking about the magical map they used in Dead Man's Chest and in At World's End.

whistle NOW I understand. Yes, I thought about this as well. We'll see what I can do...

MerryHo wrote:
Personally I think Alien Frontiers leads itself to be re-themed using the short lived, but totally awesome, TV series Firefly...think about it.

I like this series a lot, too! And it's a good suggestion. But why would the Firefly Crew compete against each other in such way? And what would be a substitute for the "colonies" and the planet? Why is everybody building his own fleet? What's their goal? I don't see a fitting story yet... furthermore my gaming group needs other themes despite of fantasy and SciFi right now. Pirates are a welcome variety.

PsychoDan wrote:
I would switch rum and treasure/gold around, personally. It doesn't work quite as well for the Orbital Market replacement, but otherwise it seems like a better fit to me. Especially for activating the equivalent of Alien Tech cards.

Good point! Hmmm... I'm not sure yet... selling rum on the market to earn some gold is not too absurd, but usually you should buy rum for the crew... have to think about it...

kfritz wrote:
Wait.. where is Michael Bolton?

Don't panic! Maybe he's a char in my Faction Pack #2 re-theme laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The new version in progress and still not finished!

I took the original map of the movies and added a world map. Now it looks much better than version one AND it's similar to the original board

Hm... I'm afraid the icons and "Orbital Stations" will destroy the look, but it's a game after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Upton
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I like this idea. I think it would work as a game I'd buy and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Irish Leesa wrote:
I like this idea. I think it would work as a game I'd buy and play.

Thank you, your comment motivates me!

Here's the latest version (font etc. not final)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meh. i like pirates and all, but Alien Frontiers is one of the best themed games to come out in ages and totally doesn't need/want a retheme as far as I'm concerned. the art is great, and the mechanics fit the theme. homerun combo I think. Retheme a generic mediterranean spice trading themed game, those are the ones really in need of it. You can't build ships from rum either...pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
meh. i like pirates and all, but Alien Frontiers is one of the best themed games to come out in ages and totally doesn't need/want a retheme as far as I'm concerned.

I'm no missionary. I just want to make it clear: I only retheme games I want to play. Therefore there will be no retheme of some random chosen game. I mentioned it before: I want a game in a different setting despite of SciFi (or Fantasy). Alien Frontiers is a great game (!) and yeah, the setting/mechanism fits well. The Artwork is very good and so on, no doubt about that! Don't get me wrong, but I just don't care beeing some nameless spaceman... and I want a good game in a pirate setting

flamejuggler wrote:
You can't build ships from rum either...pass.

Yes, you can't build ships from Rum... but I hope you agree, that you need more than fuel and ore to build a colony and/or ships, right? It's just a resource and game-mechanism...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
A new preview of the board (obviously not finished ):

Alien Artifact = Tia Dalma's Shack
Colonist Hub = Brethren Court at Shipwreck Island
Colony Constructor = Bribe a Governor
Lunar Mine = Exploring for Treasure
Maintenance Bay = Pirates Hideout
Orbital Market = Tortuga
Raider's Outpost = By order of the East India Trading Company
Shipyard = Shipyard
Solar Converter = Rumrunner's Island
Terraforming Station = One hand washes the other

And my first "Alien Tech Card" = Polarity Device (RUM and INFLUENCE etc. will be replaced by icons...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The (almost) finished "Alien Tech Cards" (Basic Game):

To do:
> Icons (rum, gold, field etc.)
> Text shadows
> Polishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just finished modeling (I used Fimo, the ship is taken from Merchants & Marauders) and painting my 3D versions of the Field Generators:

Isolation Field = The Kraken
Positron Field = Cursed Coin
Repulsor Field = Parlay

It's not perfect, but I'm quite happy with the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just arrived and partly painted:
Barrel = Rum = Fuel
Coins (taken from the Game Nautilus, therefore the embedded "N") = Gold/Treasure = Ore
Ships (from Merchant & Marauders) = Marker for Victory Points
Stackable "Coins" = Colonies... I'm not sure about this. Maybe I use some other Marker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Time for an update arrrh

> The board (still not finished)

I added some space for the Tech-Cards (and the discard pile). The 3 cards in play will be placed right to the piles as marked. I also included a victory points sheet and some space for the rum and gold.

> The first 5 finished Alien Tech Cards.. in my Case = Destiny Cards

> Caption of the icons
My favourite is by far the Kraken The Influence Marker will be little wooden ships from Settlers of Catan

> Marker for Victory Points (ships were taken from Merchant & Marauders)

I hope you like my ideas.. more is coming soon, so stay tuned. Feedback is - as always - welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LOVE those ships!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is AWESOME. I remember you mentioning this a long time ago, but I'm trilled that you're following up on it. Where did you get those ships???!??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is looking great so far. I've enjoyed all of your substitutions. And damn anyone who thinks you can't build ships with Rum! Rum and Booty are the only resources you should ever need in a pirate game. I feel I'm not sold yet on the live photos on the map, even though it looks pretty awesome. Have you experimented how it would look if it were all hand drawn? or each "satellite station" was just another part of the map? (similar to Endeavor, which pales in comparison to your game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
First of all: Thank you guys

You are right: "Rum and Booty are the only resources you should ever need in a pirate game."arrrh

The ships are from the boardgame Merchant & Marauders, I just painted them in the apropriate color.

Well, I already did some rethemes... and that's why I'm still on the run and don't give up sometimes it's hard to motivate or getting the time.. but overall it's fun! And comments like yours help

Photos: I photoshoped them. They look more like a painting. Because I want to make a Pirates of the Caribbean game, I decided to use some in-film footage. I'm good in drawing comics and stuff like that, but I'm not capable of drawing landscapes very well. The outcome would be very poor.

I love the "round" map from the movie. My first idea was that it represents the whole board, but
- I don't have the source picture in an appropriate quality
- the map is very colorful, adding the stations would be confusing
- I wanted to have the arrangement similar to Alien-Frontiers, therefore not too confusing for veteran players

If you have the drawing skills (or anyone else), feel free to contact me and share your ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Main Stream
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think I will use symbols for each Location (Orbital Facility) as well. Hopefully it will make things easier in the future (i.e. adding the new Faction Boards)

The last cards are finished

To do:
> Complete the board
> Get some Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any files to share? Please............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.