Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
During a session, every player decided to focus on giving up one army piece and replaced it with a Fortress.
Soon half way during the game we ran out of Fortresses,
Had to bring in the second copy and use its fortresses.

Is this correct or has anyone ever encountered this ?

It just happen that each player was playing defensive way.

Ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen that happen. In my experience very few fortresses are used. I take it no one tried to attack the fortresses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are correct, everyone were more concentrating on fortification than anything else to give them +1 in defensing.

Very strange but I suppose it is a way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Zaborowski

Portland
Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had heavily fortified games, but never ran out of fortresses. The Lesser Event cards "Siegecraft" and "Disaster" prove to be very powerful in such games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you mean "give up one piece to place a FORT". If playing with the optional rule, you have to give up 2 pieces for a fortress.

We use forts a lot. I like them in out of the way places with 2 guys. (No map here, but...) Places like Nubia, Hindu Kush, a generic place in China and SE Asia.

I do this to keep a presence in the region. I don't place it on a resource or anywhere that should see a lot of traffic.

The downside are the cards mentioned by the other poster. If you do this a lot, your score should reflect this and people should try to schwack you.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Paananen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I usually only build a FORT (not a fortress--that is an optional rule) if I have an extra build at the end of a turn that can't be used to get any extra victory points.

The +1 is significant, but not usually decisive. So I often attack other players who build forts. That may mean that I take one extra casualty--but that might have been the army I would have used to build the fort!

You do realize that once a land with a fort has been conquered, the fort is destroyed, right? Also forts are often destroyed by disaster cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
questfordragonlords wrote:
Had to bring in the second copy and use its fortresses.

In the 1993 Avalon Hill version the game is explicitly limited to the components in the box.

I can't find an explicit reference to this in the 2001 Hasbro version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.