8 Posts

Mr. Jack» Forums » General

Subject: odd description text... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
The following text was added to all the Mr Jack games and expansions by Skelebone, a BGG admin.

"Mr. Jack is exclusively published by Hurrican, all printings of Mr. Jack are from Hurrican and distributed by other companies"

Just wondering why? It just seems annoyingly intrusive and corporate, quite out of place in a game description; and reminds me of the way GW made Milsims in Australia add some crap text to their printed catalogue years ago declaring that their products could not be used for anything other than "proper" GW use (or was it the other way around? that they had to declare that nothing was suitable as an alternative)...

It's ... odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
It's a wiki; you (or anyone) can edit the annoying bits out.

We've done it before (back when FFG, with official blessing, was adding fuxxing ginormous images to the More Information section of each of their games; the users edited them right back out, and that was the end of that...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
We've done it before (back when FFG, with official blessing, was adding fuxxing ginormous images to the More Information section of each of their games; the users edited them right back out, and that was the end of that...)

But in this case a BGG admin added the legalese instead of the company itself. So is it some kind of "official" thing this time instead of just a zealous company spamming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
It's a wiki...it'd be "interesting" to see what would compel that to change.

Edit-wars tend not to last very long here...but somehow I don't see this as something the PTB would consider worth changing the character of the site for.

If this sort of thing *must* be done, it belongs in the More Information section of the entry...but since skelebone has never been all that consistent about following his own undocumented rules, none of this is all that surprising. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Really? I can amend the game entries? Wow, did not know that.

It stood out like a big standy outy thing and I wondered why it was there; I immediately imagined that perhaps some lawyer-happy company had got a bit edgy about something somewhere (dunno what or why, but I've seen what happens when a company is under the control of marketing and/or the lawyers - see my reference to GW - and they don't seem to need any reasons) and gone overboard with demands that an admin decided it was easier to comply with than squabble about, but I figured I'd ask here rather than jump to conclusions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
JasonJ0 wrote:
The following text was added to all the Mr Jack games and expansions by Skelebone, a BGG admin.

This was added to the description to attempt to forestall corrections that Mr. Jack has been published by other companies. I've personally had a half-dozen communiques from Hurrican asking to have a publisher name removed from the Mr. Jack entry because a user had mistakenly noted that the game was published by another company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation! But is it therefore an error that Mr. Jack currently also has Neuroludic listed as a publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

This was added to the description to attempt to forestall corrections that Mr. Jack has been published by other companies. I've personally had a half-dozen communiques from Hurrican asking to have a publisher name removed from the Mr. Jack entry because a user had mistakenly noted that the game was published by another company.

Has this strategy worked? I don't know that someone would check the description before updating game info.

Maybe only a publisher should be able to change the official info section? Or maybe approvals for such changes should be run by the publishers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.