Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:
Glad you're having fun so far! You're doing a great job being Geek of the Week!
More questions for Monday:
1. Have you ever engaged in power walking?

2. If you were a game that involved player elimination due via voting, what would play consist of in between voting rounds?

3. How often do you play games with your extended family?

4. How do you decide what game you're going to review next?

5. Is the best way to develop your brain for game playing repeated play or is there some method of cross training that is useful in conjunction with play?

6. If you could teach the world one thing, what would it be?

7. Do you or have you ever kept a record of your dreams?

8. The old men inform you that, in order to maintain your government, it really is for the best if everyone plays the SAME game. How do you reply?

9. What's the ideal setting for playing a game?
Thanks HELLO GREGOR!
1. No, I've never practiced power walking except maybe for a few strides to see how it feels. I do pay attention to my technique while walking though. If I find that my ankles are too stiff or if I'm not paying enough attention to my knees in an incline/decline then I make a conscious effort to adjust and take it all in stride.

2. Again, borrowing from the Survivor concept, there'd have to be a fairly high level of player interaction between votes. I've always enjoyed the negotiation aspect in games like Settlers, Chinatown, and, yes, Monopoly. Very much looking forward to see how Volko incorporates this in Andean Abyss

3. Games don't come out often with extended family... maybe on holidays or the occasional weekend for dinner. I always make an effort but don't want to force myself.

4. First, I'm limited by my collection. I'm not expanding it as rapidly these days as I'm pretty happy with what I've got. Second, I see what other reviews are out there for certain games. I don't want to fall in the trap of not doing a review just because someone else has already done it 'better' but it sure is a lot easier to do a review if there isn't one there already. Next, I think about what intro music I'd want to use for a game and then try to let the idea build from there. Or sometimes the core idea comes before the intro music but the two always appear very close together chronologically speaking. Finally, we plan a field trip!! Yay!

5. Great question!! Actually this idea of cross training games is how I talk to my brother about board games. He recognizes that time spent cross training for anything is time well spent. For me, I'm not sure what I'm cross training for exactly but I know that I love the way that games make my brain feel. Repeated play is good for mastery but for general excellence, cross training is the way to go!

6. I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. I'm not a singer, and I only mean this in a metaphorical sense but I'd emphasize that harmony can only be attained if not everyone sings the same part. That you can be you and still be part of the song. Everybody now!

7. Yes, I kept a dream journal for several years off and on. One of my great regrets is having thrown it out at some point long ago.

8. Hhahaa! laugh On the advice of my councillors, I would declare and decree that my beloved people should all start playing Alien Frontiers. I would want them to play a fun euro style game that would get them thinking about our next great achievement as a planet - colonizing space.

9. The ideal setting for playing a game is a dimly lit room with just enough light at the table to see the board and components clearly. People are drinking wine and listening to music (jazz) between turns and don't care how long each player takes. Quiet conversation is welcome and encouraged throughout the evening. Topics of conversation are enough to engage any interested party but do not detract attention too far away from the game at hand. Although not overwhelming, the smell of smoking pipes can be subtly detected from the next room where the wargamers are. They never come out nor make a sound but somehow we know they are there.
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
Thanks!!!
- played a [very little] bit in junior high
- no
- I don't think so, although I may thumb the threads. My answer surprises even me, especially considering how much I've enjoyed every single comment here in my GotW thread. However, my reasoning is that I see RPGG and VGG as other websites and my internet habits are such that I only regularly visit those sites that I consider to be a part of my digital identity. Part of my digital self wants to 'like' every Facebook comment I see and download ALL the videos that I enjoy. The other part holds back and waits... and tries to balance his actions with his need to build community and with his need to be separate and apart. Great question Barad!! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Mihalarias
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, h00sha. Or do you prefer to be addressed as Warren? Hope all is well in GotW-land! Here are some other questions.

1. If you had a musk-secreting gland, what sort of things would you squirt with it to mark your territory? Or would you use it for other purposes, such as to say, "Hi!" or "Thanks!"

2. Do you think people are territorial when it comes to games?

3. What do you think about video games that are designed to mimic board games? Do you play them? What about video games that are designed to mimic board games that are based on sports?

4. Ever run into the great West Indian poet, Derek Walcott, who has been lately living in Alberta?

5. What is the most poetic game that you've played?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noting that you are predominantly a boardgamer, and are just now getting into wargames, I simply ask:

Why?

and

Why did it take you so long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I've really been enjoying reading how you're answering all the questions
so far. The answers are unexpected and interesting.

1. What's the furthest you can recall walking and what kind of shoes
were you wearing at the time? Do you engage in any kind of stretching
routine that helps you pay attention to your body?

2. In order for a game to be great, do you believe it must incorporate
the human mind into its machine? What I mean is that, in some games,
there is a clear best move at any given time in order to play well. For
others, the best move depends largely upon how the players interact. Is allowing for and requiring the complex interactions between humans
necessary for an eternally interesting game?

3. How do you determine when the time is right to introduce someone to a particular game? Do you have a way of determining what game an individual might enjoy?

4. How do you decide what introduction music to use for a game?

5. Are there games that you play that you feel require mental preparation for? Games where, before you sit down and set-up you say to yourself, "Okay, Warren, I'm about to play _______ and I need to focus on this or this..."?

6. What's your part in the world song?

7. Why did you throw away your dream journal? What else was going on in your life at the time?

8. What needs to happen in order for space colonization to become reality, in your view? How can games contribute to that effort?

9. What was your experience like during your brief stint with roleplaying? What sort of character did you play? How is the goal of roleplaying similar or different than the goal of board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamburlain wrote:
Hi, h00sha. Or do you prefer to be addressed as Warren? Hope all is well in GotW-land! Here are some other questions.

1. If you had a musk-secreting gland, what sort of things would you squirt with it to mark your territory? Or would you use it for other purposes, such as to say, "Hi!" or "Thanks!"

2. Do you think people are territorial when it comes to games?

3. What do you think about video games that are designed to mimic board games? Do you play them? What about video games that are designed to mimic board games that are based on sports?

4. Ever run into the great West Indian poet, Derek Walcott, who has been lately living in Alberta?

5. What is the most poetic game that you've played?

Thanks!
Thanks tamburlain!!
1. I'd spray my stuff all over my family so that people would know that they are mine. Also, I wouldn't mine using my scent to mark certain places that I'd want people to know I'd been such as church, the homes of good friends, beautiful spots or places where I'd had a good time. I would not spray places like work, grocery store or gas stations because those are places I go out of need not choice.
2. Yes, people are protective of their favorite games and we tend to choose games within our comfortable 'territory'. We can expand our territory to cover more area or even move territory, but I like your analogy because I think it works.
3. I've played a couple of video game versions of board games: hive and carcasonne for iPhone, Keldon's RFTG AI. I think they're good. I prefer the smell and feel of board games though. It's just that video can be so darn convenient! never played a sports based one.
4. no; maybe one day.
5. Dixit
SimGuy wrote:
Noting that you are predominantly a boardgamer, and are just now getting into wargames, I simply ask:

Why?

and

Thanks SimGuy!!
1. I singularly credit
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb

2. Because I never won at Risk as a youngster. Never. Never wanted to play another 'wargame'.
Hello Gregor wrote:

I've really been enjoying reading how you're answering all the questions
so far. The answers are unexpected and interesting.

1. What's the furthest you can recall walking and what kind of shoes
were you wearing at the time? Do you engage in any kind of stretching
routine that helps you pay attention to your body?

2. In order for a game to be great, do you believe it must incorporate
the human mind into its machine? What I mean is that, in some games,
there is a clear best move at any given time in order to play well. For
others, the best move depends largely upon how the players interact. Is allowing for and requiring the complex interactions between humans
necessary for an eternally interesting game?

3. How do you determine when the time is right to introduce someone to a particular game? Do you have a way of determining what game an individual might enjoy?

4. How do you decide what introduction music to use for a game?

5. Are there games that you play that you feel require mental preparation for? Games where, before you sit down and set-up you say to yourself, "Okay, Warren, I'm about to play _______ and I need to focus on this or this..."?

6. What's your part in the world song?

7. Why did you throw away your dream journal? What else was going on in your life at the time?

8. What needs to happen in order for space colonization to become reality, in your view? How can games contribute to that effort?

9. What was your experience like during your brief stint with roleplaying? What sort of character did you play? How is the goal of roleplaying similar or different than the goal of board games?
Thanks HELLO GREGOR! 1. My furthest walk was probably a hike up to Luellen Lake; I was wearing some Mountain Equipment Coop hiking shoes. They weren't really good hiking shoes, but good enough for me. I don't really count those old hiking days though because I think of walking as more of an urban activity, in which case I'd have to think around 25km - longer than Luellen but not worrying about elevation.
2. No, I don't think a game needs to have that accounting for human complexity to be great. Some games have been criticized for being not much more than puzzles, but I see no problem with that. A 'puzzle' with a good narrative and multiple solutions can be a great game.
3. The timing may never be right to introduce a game to someone, even fellow gamers. I think about the game that I want to play with them and visualize myself explaining it and visualize their reaction. If I can come to see how this could work then I will make an attempt when an opportunity arises. However, that attempt may not make it past the front door if I sense that the mood isn't right. My time with them may be about playing a different game that they want to play or doing some other activity all together. I may try again another time.
4. I flip through some of the music I have on my computer with the intent of finding something for the video. This process of just skipping through various songs takes 5-20 minutes. This is a good example of a special part of my brain being used to make a decision without any formal logic. We all can be artists! Does the music contrast or complement the game (both complementing and contrasting can be good, depends on the feel of the project)
5. Yes, I need to mentally prepare myself to play Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ? and Fields of Fire. Other games can played on the spur of the moment. Or, I might just open some boxes and resort some of the components and feel good about just handling the games in my collection.
6. Further to the world song - the world sings many songs and in each song we all have a harmonious part. We may sing different parts in different songs. Primarily, my parts are in the peace and rhythm sections.
7. I'm not sure when/why I threw out my dream journal. Maybe when we were moving and I was careless about what I wanted to keep?
8. I'm no Phil Eklund, so I don't really know what we need to do to get out there. One thing that is certain is that we require the will. We'll first need some sense of having achieved a world peace and prosperity (though there will always be some war and some poor). Then it's off to the stars! Games, and other media could be used to spark people's vision about what space settlement could look like and present a realistic alternative for the future.
9. My brief experiences in Dungeons & Dragons Basic Game were positive. I enjoyed it when a friend introduced me in grade 7 or 8 and then I purchased the basic game. I was DM for my brother and a neighbour a couple of times, but grew tired of it eventually - I think I moved on to radio controlled model cars. My next exposure to RPG was the massively popular online World of Warcraft circa 2007. Again, very positive experience but after a few months the Law of Diminishing Returns reared its head. I found that I wasn't getting as much enjoyment relative to the amount of time I was spending on it so the affair came to an end. I think the goals of board games vs RPG can best be spoken of in the sense of meta-game, and it that sense they are similar. RPG is almost pure meta-game; there's something happening in the fantasy world that is bigger than the rules as you and your character journey together. Board games, collectively, too become a journey as one adds to one's collection and defines, through personal choice, one's own gamer identity. And this is the shared goal - to become the players we want to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Warren, Which game would you pick to play with your namesake Will Smith?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
my parts are in the peace and rhythm sections

I see who you are, Warren. You claim to be a 'peace and harmony' guy, but that only applies to all parts of your life except one...

Suggest Monopoly and you become an unhinged Charles Manson type. angry (Love that video review of Queen's Necklace!)

If you only had an opportunity to play one game for an extended period of time, perhaps six months, and with any number of people (meaning it wouldn't need to be a solo affair, what would that game be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
Congratulations Warren, Which game would you pick to play with your namesake Will Smith?
Thanks Steve! I think that Will would really enjoy a few battles of Yomi. It's fast and fun and exactly his style I think.
Wister wrote:
Quote:
my parts are in the peace and rhythm sections

I see who you are, Warren. You claim to be a 'peace and harmony' guy, but that only applies to all parts of your life except one...

Suggest Monopoly and you become an unhinged Charles Manson type. angry (Love that video review of Queen's Necklace!)

If you only had an opportunity to play one game for an extended period of time, perhaps six months, and with any number of people (meaning it wouldn't need to be a solo affair, what would that game be?
Bahahaha! laugh It's true. His name is evil Smitty and he also comes out when he finds the toothpaste tube being squeezed from the middle instead of the bottom.

One game for six months would be Dominant Species. I haven't played nearly as often as I would like and it probably take me that lOng to explore all of it's options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
SimGuy wrote:

Why?

and

Thanks SimGuy!!
1. I singularly credit
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb

Oooh, this honors me greatly!!

Further questions:

If it turned out that you are a mutant, what superpower would you develop?

If you won 10 million dollars at the lottery, what would you do next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Haus
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cheers mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
Oooh, this honors me greatly!!

Further questions:

If it turned out that you are a mutant, what superpower would you develop?

If you won 10 million dollars at the lottery, what would you do next?
1. I think that discovering that I was a mutant would be different than simply choosing a superpower that I would want. (In an earlier question on this thread, I said I would choose a super-communication power that gave me the ability to speak/write any/every language/dialect.) Coming to terms with one's own mutancy could be a traumatic experience and in my case, I think that my mutant power would be unwelcome. I see myself with the ability to develop a god-forsaken sense of rage and animosity that would change the body temperature of those around me. If I was angry, they would have feverish temperatures, if I was indifferent or giving them the silent treatment, then they'd feel chilled to the bone. My emotions would be subject to wild swings and I'd need the assistance of a special helmet to regulate them (either that or some other mutant 'empath' could help me control myself). It would likely override my normal optimism, sensibility and calm demeanor. Still, my sense of 'good' would prevail and I'd use my power in the service of humanity. With the proper training I would learn to focus my emotions on any biological target.

2. 10 extra large? "I'm going to disneyland Essen!!" I'd quit my job, surprise my wife with something expensive, travel more, give more (including the Jack Vasel memorial fund), and build the best board games room ever. I like this question thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Which do you reckon is the better cross-training activity for general board game prowess: walking or paint ball?

2. What is the relationship between games and the larger reality?

3. Hypothetical- An acquaintance you've little feeling for (positive or negative) asks you to play a game you've some interest in but never tried. However, she informs you that the game would take the better part of the day- around 8 hours. How do you respond?

4. What is the source of fuzzy logic?

5. Are there any games that you own that you love that you own that you've yet to play? Is there a game you can think of that you'd be happy just owning but never, necessarily, playing?

6. Does the board gaming hobby as a whole have a particular part to sing in the world song? If so, what?

7. In your introductory video to Fields of Fire, you talked about how you gave yourself a sort of assignment to get the rules read. Outside of gaming, what other assignments do you have going or have had going in the past?

8. If you were given the opportunity to be one of the first 100 people to colonize Mars and there is no return trip, would you go? If so, what three games would you bring to remind the colonists of home?

9. Are you the player you want to be? If gaming is a journey toward that ideal, what do you do when you are the player you want to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations from the VideoGameGeek side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
So Warren, now that we`re halfway through the week, are there any topics or questions that you were hoping would come up that haven`t been mentioned yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:
1. Which do you reckon is the better cross-training activity for general board game prowess: walking or paint ball?

2. What is the relationship between games and the larger reality?

3. Hypothetical- An acquaintance you've little feeling for (positive or negative) asks you to play a game you've some interest in but never tried. However, she informs you that the game would take the better part of the day- around 8 hours. How do you respond?

4. What is the source of fuzzy logic?

5. Are there any games that you own that you love that you own that you've yet to play? Is there a game you can think of that you'd be happy just owning but never, necessarily, playing?

6. Does the board gaming hobby as a whole have a particular part to sing in the world song? If so, what?

7. In your introductory video to Fields of Fire, you talked about how you gave yourself a sort of assignment to get the rules read. Outside of gaming, what other assignments do you have going or have had going in the past?

8. If you were given the opportunity to be one of the first 100 people to colonize Mars and there is no return trip, would you go? If so, what three games would you bring to remind the colonists of home?

9. Are you the player you want to be? If gaming is a journey toward that ideal, what do you do when you are the player you want to be?
1. I'm all for building bridges between wargamers and the larger game community of which it is a part and I don't mean to set up divisions nor reinforce stereotypes. However, it might be fair to say that paintball would be good cross training for wargames, while walking would help develop the kind of thinking necessary for other games? If I had to make such a choice, that is.

2. The relationship between games and the larger reality was really described well by Salen and Zimmerman in Rules of Play: "Considered as Culture, games are extremely open systems. In this [way of describing games], the internal functioning of the game is not emphasized; instead, as a cultural system the focus is on the way that the game exchanges meaning with culture at large." In other words, games can be seen as both reflecting and shaping the larger reality. This way of looking at games is different than seeing them as RULES or even as PLAY (both of which are valid and necessary). It's another way of understanding the mystery/wonder of games. To sum, I would say that games are a beautiful part of the larger reality and that the larger reality would not be what it is without games.

3. I would have no issue whatsoever with sitting down to such a game with an acquaintance. sounds like fun!! actually being able to schedule in an 8hr time slot might be another matter

4. If, by fuzzy logic, you mean the actual branch of logic then Wikipedia tells us that Fuzzy logic began with the 1965 proposal of fuzzy set theory by Lotfi Zadeh. If, however you use the term loosely to describe the aesthetic, intuitive, emotional decision making feature of the human brain then I say that the source of this is the 'soul' - the eternal, corruptible, powerful, life giving human soul.

5. No. I own Cuba, but have never played. This fact brings me sadness, not joy. Because I don't see any hope in the near future for playing the game, I have put it on my trading block. I would rather not own a game I don't play. (Although, with my new taste for playing multiplayer games solitaire, Cuba may find its spot in my collection yet if I can manage to squeeze it in somewhere!) All is not lost.

6. Yes, the board game community has a part. Our section here sings of possibility, of being forever young with a maturity that seasons the flavor. It goes like this: La lala, dum. La lala, dum.

7. One good example of another assignment that I gave myself was my 2006 New Year's resolution - to learn French. I did very well over the next year and a half, listening to radio francais, downloading french podcasts and reading grammar books and dictionaries. I enjoyed that very much! At some point, though, I decided to discontinue. Where I live doesn't provide tons of opportunity to practice speaking it(although I did avail myself of a few such opportunities) in day to day life. I suppose I could have joined a club or something... maybe I still will one day?

8. Yes, I think I'd like to be among the first to colonize Mars. Not sure I could convince my family that this was a good idea, but it'd be nice to be a part of the adventure. (I'm assuming that I could still have a high speed internet connection via satellite). I would bring Agricola to remind us what things were like long ago, Alien Frontiers to show where the vision began and laugh at how little we knew, and Hive to take pictures of and send back to BGG (there are some great photos of Hive being played 'anywhere').

9. I feel like I am more the player that I want to be than ever before. I have a good feeling about my collection like I'm not missing anything but there is still room for some growth. I want to grow more in the area of playing more with others but given my current personal situation this may take time. When we do eventually become the players we want to be in full, then we basically just be that and help others get there too.

Thanks, HELLO GREGOR - great questions!
fehrmeister wrote:
So Warren, now that we`re halfway through the week, are there any topics or questions that you were hoping would come up that haven`t been mentioned yet?
Thanks James!
No, I don't feel that I'm wishing anything to asked that wasn't. I understand what you mean though. We seek to know and be known. Simply being GotW has satisfied much of my need to be known. Also, I get this good feeling from putting myself out there in my videos - that BGG 'knows' me (at least at a level of knowing that I'm comfortable with). There are still things about me that I hope I can share with others on the geek as the relationship develops, but things that I am not in a rush to reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. You typed of the divisions between wargamers and the board gamer populace at large. Are there other, similar, divisions that you see concerning other types of games, or is the wargamer/board gamer division somehow special?

2. Are there any negative ways, in your view, that games shape the larger reality? What are some positives about how games reflect the world?

3. In today's world of busy adults, is there room for long games? Is there a reason for a game to be long?

4. Can some portion or reflection of the soul exist in a playing of a game? If so, what soul is it reflecting?

5. What about Cuba makes you think you won't get to play it with others?

6. What are some possibilities of board gaming that you think have yet to be explored or would like to see explored?

7. Have you considered ordering some heavy french games and then trying to decipher the rules?

8. How necessary is competition to human achievement?

9. How do you decide what games you'd like to play and what games you'd like to purchase?

Thank you for all the wonderful answers so far. I appreciate the time and thought you've put into each and every one of them. Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:
1. You typed of the divisions between wargamers and the board gamer populace at large. Are there other, similar, divisions that you see concerning other types of games, or is the wargamer/board gamer division somehow special?

2. Are there any negative ways, in your view, that games shape the larger reality? What are some positives about how games reflect the world?

3. In today's world of busy adults, is there room for long games? Is there a reason for a game to be long?

4. Can some portion or reflection of the soul exist in a playing of a game? If so, what soul is it reflecting?

5. What about Cuba makes you think you won't get to play it with others?

6. What are some possibilities of board gaming that you think have yet to be explored or would like to see explored?

7. Have you considered ordering some heavy french games and then trying to decipher the rules?

8. How necessary is competition to human achievement?

9. How do you decide what games you'd like to play and what games you'd like to purchase?

Thank you for all the wonderful answers so far. I appreciate the time and thought you've put into each and every one of them. Kudos!

1. I think the division of RPGs is similar, but the greater division is between non-boardgamers and hobby gamers. If they are even aware that a world such as ours exists, then their tendency is to remain separate.

2. Yes, I think that games can 'negatively' shape the larger reality. However, that shaping would be a product of the relationship between game and gamer. Games of themselves cannot shape the world but if gamers tend to focus on 'negative' aspects of a game, I think that it might have a negative effect on them and others. I think that's why some people who've had bad experiences - always losing at games - may shy away from games. They can't shake the feeling like a loser so they stop playing so that their larger reality won't be shaped by games. Another example might be the Miami Dice review of Chaos in the Old World which recognized that some players don't like thinking about murder, filth and disease even if only for fun. They have a sense that the game is altering reality in a subtle, near non-detectable way but altering it still. I see their point. While we all have varying degrees of intolerance, we should recognize that at some point we can all be "bought" by our conscience if our buttons are pushed hard enough. That's a funny way of saying it because we typically think of being bought as being a bad thing. In this example though I portray the currency of conscience as gaining strength the more it is attacked. At some point we all give in and say, "that's going too far." This is because we know, deep down that games influence the larger reality for good and for bad. The question becomes, "At what point do we lose our ability to contain the game." Where that point is for each individual I could never even hope to pretend to assume.
A positive example of how games reflect the world would be the party game Mad Gab. It makes us laugh at our misunderstandings!

3. 'Tis the question indeed. Should there be room? Yes! Is there? Not always. People have lives to lead - work, family, other hobbies. For the lucky ones (including me on occasion), there is time for long games.
A good reason for a game to be long is that it's length is part of the designers vision for taking us where she wants us to go.

4. Games can be considered 'soulful', meaning that indeed the soul of the game touches our own. The soul of the game is the product of all that went into creating it, giving it MEANING. I think you do an excellent job, HELLO GREGOR, of exposing this aspect of each game that you review! Take your recent video addition to the In the Shadow of the Emperor page for example. The way the game captures the cycle of life, the aging process, and succession is brought to light in your video in a way that resonates with all of us. You effortlessly show us this truth and it then seems so obvious (as it always was), only more wonderful.

5. Honestly, I'm sure that Cuba is a great game in its own right but I don't think I'll play it because Puerto Rico is already an accepted favorite with a key player in my group. Though Cuba has different and awesome mechanics, the perceived similarities are too great. It takes a great deal of effort for me to introduce a new game to the group and I'd rather place that effort in introducing games that are more different to games in our collection than Cuba is.

6. Re: board gaming possibilities. I would like to see what will come out of the developing world. So far we have 'eurogames' and 'ameritrash'. What will modern 'indigiplay' (indigenous) games look like or '3rdwave' (3rd world) games be like? Very much looking forward to this.

7. No; French and I are on an acquaintance basis only now.

8. I see competition as a part of the very definition of achievement. This is not to say that there aren't other paths to 'progress', such as discovery or cooperation. Nor is it to say that competition can't be healthy.

9. Research on BGG helps me make a purchase-or-play decision. Would never decide without consulting first!

Thanks for the great questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, h00sha, your week's about up. I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you better and reading some of your interesting opinions on things. I've restricted myself to questions so as not to fill up your thread with comments on your comments, but I hope to be able to continue to communicate in the future.
So, here's my last batch of 9 for you on your week of geekiness. I salute you and PLEASE make more videos!

1. What do you think the effect on the board gaming hobby would be if it became more visible, say, as visible as video games, movies, or organized sports?

2. Insofar as games may seem to model real-world processes and, further, encourage adaptation to their systems on the part of the player, do games have a responsibility to encourage certain types of thought patterns over others?

3. How likely is it that a game will take the players somewhere beyond what the designer intended?

4. Is it possible for multiple people to derive multiple meanings from a game and for them all to be right? What if the designer intended none of these meanings?

5. When deciding to play, buy, or introduce a game, how often do you consider its review potential?

6. Can board games exist without wealth?

7. You've finally figured out how to communicate with dolphins and chimpanzees via some sort of language. What games do you teach each of them to play (assuming the dolphins are equipped with robotic prosthetics that possess the required dexterity to handle small pieces)?

8. Fun! Competition is to achievement as Cooperation is to _________ and Discovery is to __________.

9. If you could place and leave one thing on the www.boardgamegeek.com front page forever and ever, what would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:
Well, h00sha, your week's about up. I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you better and reading some of your interesting opinions on things. I've restricted myself to questions so as not to fill up your thread with comments on your comments, but I hope to be able to continue to communicate in the future.
So, here's my last batch of 9 for you on your week of geekiness. I salute you and PLEASE make more videos!

1. What do you think the effect on the board gaming hobby would be if it became more visible, say, as visible as video games, movies, or organized sports?

2. Insofar as games may seem to model real-world processes and, further, encourage adaptation to their systems on the part of the player, do games have a responsibility to encourage certain types of thought patterns over others?

3. How likely is it that a game will take the players somewhere beyond what the designer intended?

4. Is it possible for multiple people to derive multiple meanings from a game and for them all to be right? What if the designer intended none of these meanings?

5. When deciding to play, buy, or introduce a game, how often do you consider its review potential?

6. Can board games exist without wealth?

7. You've finally figured out how to communicate with dolphins and chimpanzees via some sort of language. What games do you teach each of them to play (assuming the dolphins are equipped with robotic prosthetics that possess the required dexterity to handle small pieces)?

8. Fun! Competition is to achievement as Cooperation is to _________ and Discovery is to __________.

9. If you could place and leave one thing on the www.boardgamegeek.com front page forever and ever, what would it be?
1. I think the effect of greater visibility for board games would be positive for the hobby. I’m thinking it would give us a larger talent pool from which to draw great designs, and more diverse demands from consumers which would ultimately be satisfied.
2. No I don’t think games have a responsibility to encourage certain types of thought patterns over others. Some games call for more logical thought while others may need players to think creatively. Some require a high level of social interaction in order for the game experience to be a ‘success’ while others demand a more introspective approach from the players. All of these patterns are good and equal.
3. I think that good games take players to places that the designer didn’t specifically foresee. It is possible for a designer to leave his game ‘open’ in this way and good designers do this consistently. I think they achieve that balance between giving the game enough structure so that players know what is expected of them, yet loose enough that possibilities abound.
4. Yes, multiple ‘correct’ meanings can be derived from a game. I heard a quote once to the effect that ‘an artist loses all rights to the meaning of his work the moment it is published.’
5. No, I never consider a game’s review potential when making a try-or-buy decision.
6. I suggest that games are a form of wealth. This raises a question – “what is wealth?” To me, wealth is an experience of lacking nothing. The more one experiences this sense of fullness, the wealthier one is. Of course, there is no escaping the fact that such a thing as monetary wealth exists and it’s definition is hard-coded into society. Certainly games can exist without this type of wealth because many (nay, most) really rich people don’t care about this hobby. The two are mutually exclusive. Further, games exist in poor places. So I suppose the answer is yes and no, depending on how you define wealth. Terrific question!
7. Not sure if I would want to play games with dolphins and chimpanzees. I get a generally sad feeling at the zoo, that the animals don’t belong there. Sometimes I don’t mind seeing the dangerous animals locked up like the big cats, the man-eaters. But even then I feel pity for the old lions. Now, assuming that these were wild, intelligent creatures playing of their own free will then I’d play a modified Cranium Whoonu to learn what their favorite things are!
8. Fun indeed!! Competition is to achievement as Cooperation is to journey as Discovery is to momentum.
9. If I could leave one thing on the front page: I'm sure I could over think this one to death, but my first thought was a tattoo on the arm of the BGG mascot guy. Hmmm... what kind of tattoo? Hmmm... maybe a tiny "I love Mom" heart.

Hello Gregor, thank you for making my GotW memorable with such challenging, imaginative questions. I've enjoyed this week very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE
The lie was # 3. Thanks for playing!

Edit: not sure why the new GotW thread hasn't been pinned yet. perhaps octavian has his hands full with other stuff? the new thread is HERE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you enjoyed you week as GotW! And now if only the next GotW could be eekamouse, that'd be just perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.