Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: PDS fire question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I have a PDS in a system, there are also some enemy ships in the system, and I activate a system, what happens?

1. Do my PDS fire enemy fleets? If they have Deep Space Cannon tech, can they shoot into the ships that are in systems near the system with PDS?

2. If I move my ships into the system? The outcome is same as in #1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you activate a system, any PDS units in range can fire into the activated system only. So if you have a PDS in the system that you activate, it can fire at enemy ships in that system. If there are PDS units in an adjacent system and you have the Deep Space Cannon, those PDS units may fire as well. Basically, all you need to remember is that you can only fire into a system that you activate.
2. If you activate a system to move your ships into it, your PDS units may fire at any enemy ships there. Your opponent(s) may also fire at your ships moving into the same activated system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe PDS units with Deep Space Cannon may fire when an opponent activates an adjacent system, and the player owning the PDS units in range does not have to activate the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct; a PDS may fire when any player activates a system in range. I was referring to the misconception that you need to activate the system the PDS is in for it to fire into an adjacent system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
I believe PDS units with Deep Space Cannon may fire when an opponent activates an adjacent system, and the player owning the PDS units in range does not have to activate the system.

It can indeed, but it's important to note that you can only shoot at the ACTIVE opponent. If the active opponent moves ships into the system, but there were ships already there from a different opponent, you cannot shoot at the ships already there with this activation; you can only shoot at the ships that moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Voley wrote:
If I have a PDS in a system, there are also some enemy ships in the system, and I activate a system, what happens?

1. Do my PDS fire enemy fleets? If they have Deep Space Cannon tech, can they shoot into the ships that are in systems near the system with PDS?

There are two phases:
1. First, the active player (means whoever activated the system, "you" in this case), can fire any PDSs in range on ships in that system (that would be your PDSs in that system, and also those in adjacent systems if you have the DSC tech). Obviously, you would do so only if there are enemy ships in the system. Hits are rolled and applied as usual.

2. Then, any other player with PDSs in range may fire on your ships, in the same manner.

Voley wrote:

2. If I move my ships into the system? The outcome is same as in #1?

Yes. Note that you would be providing a shot for any enemy PDSs in range on the ships that moved in. Without the movement, they could have fired only if you already had ships in the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.