Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this one yesterday. It seems like it would be really hard to win as the Japanese. We made a rules mistake regarding overstacking (overstacking penatly was considered in effect for the duration of the shot). But even so I can't really see what kind of a chance the Japanese have. I never even popped my hero with the HMG. He sat smoking a cigarette the whole game.

Any other expriences people might have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It IS really hard to win as the Japanese. But the Japanese CAN win. Keep them as far from the guns as possible and Advance up the beach as you can. It can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my games of Scarlet Beach the Japanese won 3 of 8 games, but the first two Allied wins were using the playtest version of Scarlet Beach, which didn't automatically give the Japanese a move and an advance card. Our feedback was that the Japanese HAD to be able to spread out after the horrible first carnage.

Here is a cut and paste regarding two of my playings some months back:
--------------------------

From the interesting "Love it, but I wish it was more" thread - - -

chicklewis wrote:
"Well, Edward, in my two most recent games of CC New Guinea, my opponents Donna and Harry EACH smacked me with maneuvers which were so unexpected and clever and game-changing that my jaw dropped !"

Edward replied:
"Sounds cool - tell me more!"
------

My two most recent games were both "Scarlet Beach", Volko's fine, complex, and interesting scenario. In each I played Commonwealth, as I am trying to figure out how to win as the Aussies.

The situation takes some explanation. The game map is "C" with a river running down the center of the long axis to a beach along one short end. By SSR the first five hexes of the river are impassable to all units. Farther back from the beach, horrible swamp hexes run parallel, making any movement across the river very difficult, and even with the right cards, likely a three-turn long effort. Japanese forces are elite, and can move very quickly after arriving on the beach.

The Commonwealth forces include both a baby 25 pounder and a pack howitzer, each with a '-4' movement modifier. With the map split by the river and night hindrance in effect, defending both sides of the map with only three Anzac squads and a half-dozen teams presents a real challenge, as the Japanese landing forces get to set up after seeing the Commonwealth defense. Placing one of the howitzers in a trench hex on either side of the river is tempting, but will likely mean that only one of those potent weapons will have any effect on the game.

I decided to set up both howitzers, each possessed by a squad with movement 5 and a leader, in the swamp hexes some distance back from the beach, with my trenches set up one on either side not far away. Although the weapons can't fire from the swamp, my plan was to move both of them into the trench on the side of the central-river-swamp zone chosen by the arriving Japanese, therefore having use of both howitzers to resist the Japanese assault.

There is a lot more to this interesting scenario, but hopefully we now have enough information to understand the clever maneuvers performed by my opponents.

Donna's Elite Japanese hit the beach on the swamp side of the river, and were badly cut up by my the (magically appearing by SSR) hero with 50 cal MG. I moved both guns out of the swamp hexes into river water barrier hex.

To my absolute dismay, Donna, instead of moving quickly inland, commanded her Japanese to wade back out into the surf, through the river mouth hex towards the other side of the river. Not having an advance card in hand, this clever maneuver caused me to abandon both of my field-pieces in the river, as I didn't have the movement to get them back into the swamp.

In my playing against Harry, I set up identically. Harry landed his Japanese on the 'non-swamp' side of the river and was horribly attrited by the hero. I then moved my guns into the appropriate trench hex. Harry, NOT having been told about Donna's maneuver, performed exactly the same one in the opposite direction, causing me to abandon my guns and move back into the swamp.

This, however, was not the second jaw-dropping maneuver of which I originally wrote. I managed to get a starshell into the air over his battered forces. I only had light blocking forces in forward positions to slow down the Japanese until I could get my powerful Anzac squads back through the river into the trench hex, but they were probably sufficient with the starshell negating the night hindrances, as I was holding a fire card.

Harry played a move order, and moved his team and broken leader one hex inland on the beach. I played a fire action and hit them with 5 firepower, which by a very lucky draw broke the team. This short stack then moved another hex inland, ending the Japanese leader's movement. The resulting Disperse event, though, put out my starshell. Harry's only remaining activated unit was an "A Division" squad.

To my shock and horror, instead of the obvious move keeping it adjacent to his broken leader (which still had a '1' command radius) he moved the elite squad aggressively inland, through the 1-hex-wide gap between two of my blocking units. With the night hindrance, it ignored my six weak fire attacks, slipping behind the commonwealth front line into the welcoming empty trench hex !! This put the Japanese in position to clobber my overstacked units now in the river hex which were working their way towards the same trench ! OUCH ! Really a bad surprise, and an excellent play.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, Mark, I cannot imagine how you could clobber the Japanese without using the Hero special rule !

Please let us know which four cards you chose for your opening hand, and your setup, and how you played the first two turns. Sounds like you know something I need to figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
WOW, Mark, I cannot imagine how you could clobber the Japanese without using the Hero special rule !

Please let us know which four cards you chose for your opening hand, and your setup, and how you played the first two turns. Sounds like you know something I need to figure out.

No, wait...I played the Japanese.

OK, confesssions of a CC veteran player: the first game, I lost badly primarily because I FORGOT to remove the cover penalty as units died on the beach. My opponent did that to me without the Hero.

The second game, the Hero jumped up on the beach and I was able to survive and Advance toward him and take his foxhole. Then it was a matter of Advancing and dishing out death via melee. It was a slog, but I eventually did it.

Both game, he set up on both sides of the river to pound me. I stayed close to the middle so that the hindrance was highest. It's been awhile since we played so the details are fuzzy...

I don't have any other wisdom than my usual mantra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to recall what I did. I set up all my pieces on my right flank (as I look at the board). My four cards were 2 fire cards, asset request, and the card that has boresighting on it.

He landed as far away from me as he could. I dropped a round from my pack howitzer into one of his barges and totally shredded the force there. His surviving group proceeded to move toward my rear area on the other side of the river. With starshells harrassed and beat up his remaining troops. I moved a smaller group over to his side of the river to try to bottle him up.

He couldn't seem to get anything to happen for him so he conceded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, Chick! I didn't realize the OP was Mark too!

In feel like the guy answering the person who's actually talking to someone else on the phone... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Mark and Mark ||

Here is my best tactic for first turns.

Start with four fire cards, two of them also ambushes
immediately materialize the hero in a hex adjacent to only the barge with the 2 Japanese leader.
Play a fire card,and have the hero use his personal firepower first. It will only be a few fp, but with the overstacking, should break most of the units in that barge..
Then fire the HMG into the same hex, killing a few, and probably breaking all of the remainder in that hex.
Now, since Hoss is a hero, play another fire card to activate him again, and fire the HMG with an extra fp for Hoss-s pistol. If there are any units still alive from that barge, the Japanese player had some luck.
Hold the two ambush cards in case the Japanese survivors advance into Hoss's hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing with a friends set, so I don't have the scenario card, but, if my memory is correct I think I can't setup that close to the beach. Hoss has to appear in my setup area I think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that Hoss is allowed to setup ANYWHERE, but also do not have my scenario card at hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first time I have been right this week.

SSR#3 "At any time during play the allied player may give up the initiative to place Van Noy's MG Pit into any unoccupied non-water hex. Hoss may possess the .50 cal MG."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.