Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd draw attention to a post on the news/blog of my board game web site, Unspoiling Halma. Any comments on the idea are also welcome here. I can't remember where I read the previous discussions about spoiling strategies that I refer to - it obviously wasn't here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting article! I like your analysis.

Your solution "A final proposal, then, is that a player wins the game when further forward movement of any of his pieces is impossible due to blockages in his opponent's starting area." seems reasonable on the face of it, except it should probably explicitly clarify when this condition (of not being able to move forward) is checked (any time? start of the given players turn? end of the given player's turn?) (And do possible blockages due to other players' pieces figure into this?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true - I'd say it should be at the start of the player's turn, at the point when they are trying to move. As for pieces of another player being in there - I'd have to consider why pieces of a third player would be so far out of their own path. Instinct tells me that the only reason they'd be in there is to contribute to the spoiling strategy, in which case it shouldn't matter whose pieces are blocking the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Spino
Italy
flag msg tools
I suggest the following paper:

http://chinesecheckers.vegard2.no/perkis_halma.html

about the searching for the best anti-spoiling rule. I think that the rule proposed is interesting but too complex. Personally I prefer the rule used in the Zillion version (every piece remained in the own home, if he can jump over an enemy piece, it must do it).

However, I agree with this paper that the game of Halma is very improved with the long-jump rule (used also in Super Chinese Checkers).

Bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.