Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games now and thought i would post my variant for increasing the difficulty level.

First off, if there are no available spots for monsters, place them under a card. You cannot put a second monster under a card until all the other cards have at least one monster under them. I think most people are house ruling this anyways.

Secondly, instead of one elder god, play with 2; one is the primary (the main, true threat), and the other is the secondary. The primary is the god requiring the most elder signs. In case of a tie, the primary is the god with the most monster spawning doom markers in their doom track. The rules for this are as follows.

1. All elder signs must be applied to the secondary god first. Only when he is sealed out or defeated may elder tokens be assigned to the primary.

2. When doom markers are called for, they are placed on the secondary when possible. When this happens, roll a green die. On a peril or terror roll, a doom marker is placed on the primary also.

3. If the secondary god awakens, you must do combat with him until he is expelled or all players are devoured as usual. If an investigator is devoured, advance the primary gods doom track. If the secondary god is expelled, the game continues with the primary god now being the only threat. If the primary god awakens before the secondary god is defeated, all the investigators are devoured and the game ends. If the secondary god is defeated, though, each surviving investigator gets 1 common item OR 1 unique item OR 1 spell. Each surviving investigator also receives 2 clues (bonuses from character abilities are cancelled for these rewards). Don't get too comfortable, though. The secondary god has paved the way for the main threat and doom is more assured now than ever. Advance the time to midnight after each turn from now on. Any player whos investigator was devoured draws a new investigator (at no additional penalty) once the secondary god is defeated, but after rewards are handed out.

4. Each gods special ability is in effect at the beginning of the game. The secondary gods effect goes away if he is defeated or sealed out.

This increases the playtime a bit, but it has a nice flow I think, and there is real urgency once the secondary god is dealt with.

Let me kmow what you guys/gals think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Štěpán Honc
United Kingdom
London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best one! Thank you, I really enjoy this "EPIC" variant... Well designed, second part of "Signing out" the primary GOO is really cool and atmospheric...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mb
ferris1971 wrote:
First off, if there are no available spots for monsters, place them under a card. You cannot put a second monster under a card until all the other cards have at least one monster under them. I think most people are house ruling this anyways.

Isn't this already how the game works according to the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

Isn't this already how the game works according to the rulebook?

No, there's a distinction. Under the rules as written, once all the on card monster slots are filled, you could throw every remaining monster on one card that you basically plan to never attempt. My method, and it's a very common house rule, forces you to spread the monsters out across cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.