BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » Philippines

Subject: All aBOARD the road to growing Board games in the Philippines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Kenner Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

Gaming Library is trying to spearhead growing board gaming in the Philippines. We're starting from a small base but we've gotten some support from Rio Grande, Cambridge Games, Mayday Games and AEG.

2011 has been a great year for us as Gaming Library slowly began to take form. We have gone through major upgrades and I'm pleased to announce our current highlights:

The Board Game Community grew. - Before All aBOARD, the highest attendance for Open Gaming Meets was at 70. We have since improved that to 132, our highest this year.
About 10-15% of attendants of All aBOARD are new faces
80% of new attendants of All aBOARD are now regular players!
More and more people are discovering that Learning and having Fun can be done!

New Publishers are getting more playing time. - Before Gaming Library, most of the games being played came from the big publishers - FFG, Rio Grande, AEG, Mayfair and to a certain extent Z-Man Games.
Now Plaid Hat Games, the maker of Summoner Wars, Days of Wonder (Ticket to Ride/Small World), Asmodee (7 Wonders, Dixit) and Sirlin Games (Yomi) are at par with the Big League. This just proves that the selection of Board Games are getting better and better and looks to expand the Board Game Industry to new heights!

Filipino Game Designers Born - This year we have 3 new Filipino designers who were able to showcase their very own prototype! We have Earl Leonardo with Plano De Manila, Martin Montecillo and Ari Bancale with Deck of Change, who was just recently published!
Now the Filipino Game Industry is being born with the help and promotion of Gaming Library! Look out Monopoly deal -> Ari's Deck of Change is looking to override you.

3 Tournaments were held! - They said it couldn't be done, that it would not draw people or that the logistics wasn't possible. But with everyone's help WE made it happen
Dominion Tournament
Agricola Tournament
Summoner Wars Tournament

Now what does the Year 2012 have in store for us?
First of our proposed All aBOARD Free Game Day Schedules!
Venue: 3rd Floor Sports Loop Robinsons Galleria
• Tactics Leg (Q1)
o January 28 -> photos
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1223476/xtriker47

o February 11 -> photos below
o March 31
• Euro Leg (Q2)
o April 28
o May 26
o June 30
• Cooperative Leg (Q3)
o July 28
o August 25
o September 29
• Business Leg (Q4)
o October 27
o November 24
o December 15

If you have noticed, we now have what we call "Theme Legs" where we will highlight certain types of Games on a per quarter basis. Each leg will have 2 tournaments each and one demo/learning session. These sessions/tournaments will be held in conjunction to the All aBOARD Free Game days. Half of All aBOARD game space will be devoted to these events.
New add-on events will happen during the year and will fall in their corresponding quarter timeline.
We will be crowning champions in each tournament and special prizes to be given away to the winners and participants.
Mechanics to be posted soon, for now what are your speculations on each leg? Comment/Post your thoughts and who knows if we like it, we will implement it and make sure that you are rewarded!

Oh by the way! Watch out for these
7 Wonders Nationals - done congratulations to Erik Ong for winning
Summoner Wars Nationals Tournament
Agricola Tournament 2
Yomi - King of Figther tournament
Pandemic - Save the World Tournament
A Game of Thrones LCG - Battle for Iron Throne Tournament
Puerto Rico - Tournament 1
Domionion 2
I already gave away some tidbits. Mark your calendar folks!

We are also looking into school drives and other organization tie-ups but this is for another time.

As we enter 2012, we look forward to serving as

To be the preferred partner of the family in creating moments of togetherness while simultaneously developing its member’s intellect and social skills.

And that we hope to grow the board game community even more! Let's spread the word and get more people into the fun and learning!

Learn and Have Fun. It can be done!

Check us out at www.gaminglib.com

Past events photos/contests can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/Gaming.Library

If you have any inputs let us know! We'll be glad to hear your advice. We're doing it on a regular basis also because we want to be able to spread the word on board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious as to how this is going? I was on a business trip last year and stayed 6 weeks at the Discovery Suites. I walked down to the Galleria almost every day. Too bad I missed this, it would have been great to play some games while I was there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going great 120+ boardgamers of all stripes at each event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's awesome. I don't see a trip back this year in my future, but one never knows with corporate training hehe. If I can get back I will likely stay at the Shangri La or Discovery again so I can join in the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, give us a heads up next time you're in town. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Kenner Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Edited the first post with updates! Hopefully everyone can help us get to the top!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Kenner Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Here are the photos of our January event! 170 players!

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1223476/xtriker47
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Kenner Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
All aBOARD Free game day February 11 pictures!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.321358914566880.64...

We also held our first 7 Wonders tournament there!

The next one is on the 31st. Here's the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/301279519930390/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob DeSilva
United States
Levittown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Hans,

What times will the group be at Robinson's Galleria on Ocotber 27?

Bob D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad See
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i may speak from experience just to give you an idea..It usually starts around 11-1130am and ends 8pm or a little later. Hans can give you the official time though as we approach the day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ice frost
Philippines
Cebu
Cebu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
up for this...... seems forgotten... hahahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob DeSilva
United States
Levittown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is that I made it to Robinson's Galleria! The bad news is that it was on October 25! I had to leave for Cagayan de Oro on October 26. Next time I go to the Philippines I will have to plan better!

Bob D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ice frost
Philippines
Cebu
Cebu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks bob

hopefully you land at cebu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.