Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve \/\/
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mb
For those that have played this a lot, how much longer would you anticipate the game being dragged on for if - instead of the end condition being merely all the world tiles having been conquered - the end was keyed when each continent had to be under the control of a player?
Looking at the rules a written, I don't see much need for interaction amongst players (as they could just race to get different world tiles and then be done with it) which doesn't quite provide a similar experience to playing trad Risk, where you really need to interact to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dubya wrote:
Looking at the rules a written, I don't see much need for interaction amongst players

Have you not played the game, then?

In practice, I find that if someone gets within striking distance of taking all of a larger continent, someone else is almost sure to attack them (with diplomacy about who that should be, given that your initial throw may be telling you to do something different). Even the smaller continents tend to get divvied up over table talk, as soon as someone takes either half.

It is fairly hard to take countries away, so there's less back and forth swing of territory than Risk. But then, that's one thing that keeps the game down to 20 minutes. But then, changing the victory condition wouldn't really change that.

In a nutshell, it depends what kind of interaction you're talking about: social interaction between players, or attacks on other players' game state. Both are strong in Risk, only the former is strong in Risk Express, but it's not clear requiring more attacking (as you suggest) would address the former issue without actually making attacking easier to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve \/\/
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mb
timstellmach wrote:
Steve Dubya wrote:
Looking at the rules a written, I don't see much need for interaction amongst players

Have you not played the game, then?

I have not - hopefully it's en route from overseas as we speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.