Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: Complete Scenarios Compilation Series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 44ScenarioBooklet [+] [View All]
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back I began searching for copies of all the pre-Air Pack scenarios released. After some criticism from post-Air Pack fans and some further research, I decided to continue on to create a booklet of ALL standard scenarios for Memoir '44 except those published in the Air Pack and Campaign Book, Vol. 1. The reason for skipping those two is that a) most of those scenarios are not available online to print and b) I don't want to negate the value of purchasing either set since scenarios are a huge factor with them.

The end result proved to still be daunting. Version 1.1 of the booklet includes all of the original, Eastern Front, and Pacific Theater pre-Air Pack scenarios, all of the Mediterranean Theater and Winter Wars scenarios, those scenarios included with the Vercors Campaign and Audie Murphy Campaign (with supplemental campaign information and a reprint of the maps, plus the original D-Day Campaign, at the back), all eight standard Battle Maps scenarios, and all the Days of Wonder print-and-play scenarios since 2007.

That results in:
65 Western Front scenarios
27 Mediterranean Theater scenarios
18 Eastern Front scenarios
15 Pacific Theater scenarios

For a grand total of 125 standard scenarios all in one booklet.

The booklet is designed in such a way that if someone were to print it double-sided, it would bind perfectly with blank pages facing each front's title page and another blank page on the title page's reverse. A fully linked table of contents is available in case you just want to put this on your iPad and go! Lastly, I plan to update this as often as new scenarios are released and made available. My updated table of contents already anticipates new scenarios for the Invasion of Crete Campaign.

My only question so far is: should I use the simple white background scenarios or should I use the full color ones which are front-specific? Doing that would increase the size of the file by quite a bit. Let me hear your opinions because it is fairly easy to switch them out.

I hope you all enjoy this booklet that will perfectly supplement your Air Pack Scenario book and Campaign Book, Vol. 1!

Edit: Since the initial release of this scenario booklet, new ideas have been pushed. Please select from the following files:

Memoir '44 Scenario Compilation – Mediterranean Theater 1.6.1 [Hi-Res] (Updated 7/9/2013)
Memoir '44 Scenario Compilation – Pacific Theater 1.1 [Hi-Res] (Updated 7/10/2013)
Memoir '44 Scenario Compilation – French Open Tournament 1.0 [Hi-Res] (Updated 7/9/2013)
Memoir '44 Scenario Compilation – Eastern Front 1.0 [Hi-Res] (Updated 8/18/2013)

The Western Front Scenario Book is still forthcoming with hopefully a December 2013 planned release.

Edit: For future release information concerning this series, please go to this thread where all future information regarding my Scenario Compilation books will be published.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Complete (Standard) Scenarios Anthology
This is an incredible job.

In regards to white background v. color, I like the clean look of the white background in the front of the book, but I think the color fits better at the end where you have the whole campaign setup.

Also if you are looking for more work to make this better, I would suggest adding which expansions are required to the scenarios. This information is pretty important for people who don't have all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
full colour for a great looking print copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Also if you are looking for more work to make this better, I would suggest adding which expansions are required to the scenarios. This information is pretty important for people who don't have all the expansions.

Already thought about that and completely agree, but adding that information would require actually editing all of the original documents since logos would probably be need at the top of each page. This is certainly possible, but not something I am going to do anytime in the near future unless I have a large chunk of free time. But great idea and I agree entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Already thought about that and completely agree, but adding that information would require actually editing all of the original documents since logos would probably be need at the top of each page. This is certainly possible, but not something I am going to do anytime in the near future unless I have a large chunk of free time. But great idea and I agree entirely.

Can't this be done on the Table of Contents page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carline
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job. Thanks alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the hard work..

Many of the setups do not have complete unit placements on them though - eg Pegasus Bridge (p12)? Am I missing something?

Viewed on Mac OSX Preview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drxcm wrote:
Thanks for the hard work..

Many of the setups do not have complete unit placements on them though - eg Pegasus Bridge (p12)? Am I missing something?

Viewed on Mac OSX Preview
Looks correct to me, just checked against my scenario book. Viewed in Linux via Evince.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
full colour for a great looking print copy

I'll tally that vote up. I'm also leaning toward replacing all of them. Since I've got to relink all the files on the next round anyway, I may as well make them all look consistent. Right now, only the Vercors and Battle Maps are in the "official" style. Unfortunately, the Disaster at Dieppe scenario wouldn't fit if I adopted the other style.

Anyone interested in using their Memoir '44 Online Scenario Editor to make a Disaster at Dieppe scenario and upload it to DoW's website? Or can you just make them and print them directly in the correct format from the scenario editor? If so, please make Disaster at Dieppe in the Western Front style and I'll put it in the next version. Thanks!

longagoigo wrote:
Can't this be done on the Table of Contents page?

I suppose it could, thought I'd prefer it to be on the scenario pages. The system was designed to work so that you could play the entire system in chronological, theater order without really having to reference the ToC except to skip to that page. I'll review my options and think about the best way to go. I'll have to completely update the ToC when Invasion of Crete comes out anyway, since I have to add the Crete scenarios to, I assume, the Mediterranean Theater section, which spans both pages. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to edit column text in Adobe Acrobat so I have to relink everything once the sheet is updated.

Since adding the scenario info would just be a one-time thing, I could probably find a way to position the icons in the same place on each page using Photoshop. Then I could just do that on every page. Perhaps I could make a function for it so it will automatically place them there. I just have to do the research into which scenarios require what. Luckily, I think DoW's website provides that information...usually...in their database on the browse page.

drxcm wrote:

Are you comparing the scenarios to your original rule booklets or the Air Pack? I used the original scenarios for this booklet and many of those were altered when the Air Pack came out. That was one of the reasons I created the book, was to compile all items not included in the Air Pack and Campaign Book, Vol. 1. All of the scenarios were downloaded directly from DoW's website or scanned by friends (for the Battle Maps). The only exception is the Disaster at Dieppe scenario which was from the author's website since it has been removed from DoW's to avoid confusion with the Overlord Battle Map of the same name (or so I assume).

If there are errors on the maps themselves, then that is DoW's doing and I apologize for their oversight. If you can name specific examples, I'd be happy to contact them about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Borosak
Croatia
10000 Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Sir!
This is magnificent job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so cool, now I just need to send it to my Kindle and I will be a happy camper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Hathaway
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tremendous!
What a lot of work you did.

Thank you so much Derek -

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the .pdf does not display properly on my Mac.

I'm using MacOS Lion, Preview.app to review the file. Here is a screenshot of one of the scenarios. If I open it in Chrome, it displays correctly.

Strange! What program did you render the .pdf in?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange, you have only one unit on your map. I certainly do not have that problem. I'm not sure if I can fix that either. I rendered mine on Adobe Acrobat X for Mac running in Lion. It was also compressed by that program. Mine loads fine in Preview, Acrobat Reader, and QuickLook.

The only thing I can think of is that your computer for some reason is not reading the image files for the vehicles, which are technically separate within the PDF. That would be caused by the original files from DoW, though. I'd suggested trying to download a file from the DoW Memoir '44 Military Archives and see if those work. If they do, then I'll have to check my settings to see if they are somehow getting compressed out. Is the problem the same on every map (except Vercors and the Battle Maps, I'd assume, since those are images).

Update: After looking into the problem a little bit more, I've realized that my Preview and QuickLook also do not show any Artillery or Soldiers. I'd recommend on Macs using Adobe Acrobat Reader for this file. The images load fine on there. It is because of how the file is reduced. The original file is 82MB so I reduce it using Adobe Acrobat, but for some reason the reduction doesn't work well with Preview. Annoying? Yes. I haven't checked for that problem on my iPad, but if it persists there as well, I can upload the original large file someplace as an alternative download. I just don't want to overload my personal server with such a large file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent resource.
Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.3 is in the works (1.2 has come and passed) but it requires your help. I need copies of the official icons for all the scenario expansions. They need to be a decent, though small, quality:

• Memoir '44 base game
• Terrain Pack
• Winter/Desert Board Map
• Eastern Front
• Pacific Front
• Air Pack
• Battle Maps
• Mediterranean Front
• Campaign Book, Vol. 1
• Winter Wars

Also, I still need someone to remake the Disaster at Dieppe scenario in Memoir '44 Online and upload it to DoW's scenario website. Otherwise it will be the only scenario in my booklet that is in the old (plain white) page design.

The next edition should come out soon after The Invasion of Crete campaign releases. In the next edition, I am changing the page layout to the full-color scenario sheets from DoW's website and adding required expansion icons to each scenario page (hopefully). I do not have any plans to add Overlord or Breakthrough scenarios as of yet, though that may change.

Any other recommendations or comments, please post them here. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
Also, I still need someone to remake the Disaster at Dieppe scenario in Memoir '44 Online and upload it to DoW's scenario website. Otherwise it will be the only scenario in my booklet that is in the old (plain white) page design.

Could not be built using the vassal module?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

Could not be built using the vassal module?

It could be, but I want it in the same exact format as the other scenarios, which means no Vassal module. It would just not retain the same feel. I already have it in DoW plain-back format so there's no need to remake it except so I can get it in the color-back format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Inkiläinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a big task very well done!

A question on the Battle Map scenarios, though. Are they still going to be scanned images in the next version? I was unable to find out how many half-tracks are there in the scenario Panzers in the Atlas due to image quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
They will be unless someone makes versions of them in Memoir '44 Online's scenario creator. Actually it isn't the image quality of the PDFs, though. Rather, it is the size of the numbers. For some reason DoW made the icons really small on those maps. On Panzers in the Atlas, for example, the Half-Tracks are both "3", which I can see fairly clearly on my version, but they appear really small. Sorry for the poor quality, they were actually scanned by someone else and sent to me. They look decent on my computer, but as we've seen above, experiences vary.

Again, anyone willing to make Memoir '44 Online versions of Disaster at Dieppe (standard-format) or any of the Battle Map standard scenarios, feel free to do so. I want the full-color background copies for my booklet. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
China
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
That results in:
65 Western Front scenarios
27 Mediterranean Theater scenarios
18 Eastern Front scenarios
15 Pacific Theater scenarios

For a grand total of 125 standard scenarios all in one booklet.
Thank you for this wonderful job!

Is there a simple way of knowing what scenarios are playable with, say, the base set only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as of yet, but I am working on resolving that. Still waiting for someone to send me decent-resolution scans of the expansion symbols, though. Thus far, no one has stepped up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdmmb Sdmmb
msg tools
Interestingly enough if you open in ibooks on iphone or ipad you also can not see any of the units on the maps. No idea why. Anyone any ideas how to solve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sdmmb wrote:
Interestingly enough if you open in ibooks on iphone or ipad you also can not see any of the units on the maps. No idea why. Anyone any ideas how to solve?

Sounds like the jpeg2000 format problem that the iDevice pdf readers have.

The pdfs need to be saved in an Apple friendly format - or wait for iOS 5 to be released in a few weeks as it's Beta version has this problem fixed.

Phill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.