Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheldon Smith
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my new game twice over the weekend (one 4 player and one 2 player) and really enjoyed it! Thank you Friedemann Friese for another great game!!

In a previous query regarding the Market card the answer implied that you trade the goods one for one (up to 3 total) and then sell them. With this thought in mind, can you make the Market trade and then warehouse some or all of the new goods that you traded for rather than sell them to a brewery?

Example: I harvest 5 barley. Can I use the Market card to trade 3 barley for 3 water and then warehouse 2 of the water and sell the remaining 1 water and 2 barley?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Fortuna
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Market:
the player can sell up to 3 goods tokens of one
type as exactly one of the other two types to
one brewery during phase 3. When selling, he
can sell less than 3 goods tokens.

So, in my opinion, the answer is "yes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FortArt wrote:
Market:

I disagree. The rules say you can sell 3 Barley as though they were water. It doesn't say that you first trade the Barley for water and then sell the water. So can you trade the Barley for water and then save the water? No, because nothing in the rules says that the Market lets you trade Barley for water in the first place.

All the sentence you've underlined says is that you can use the market to sell one barley as if it were water, or sell two barley as if they were water, rather than 3. But nothing in the rules about market ever says anything about taking a good, so you can't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
FortArt wrote:
Market:

I disagree. The rules say you can sell 3 Barley as though they were water. It doesn't say that you first trade the Barley for water and then sell the water. So can you trade the Barley for water and then save the water? No, because nothing in the rules says that the Market lets you trade Barley for water in the first place.

All the sentence you've underlined says is that you can use the market to sell one barley as if it were water, or sell two barley as if they were water, rather than 3. But nothing in the rules about market ever says anything about taking a good, so you can't do it.

I agree with Andy.

I read the thread the OP is referring to, and it does imply that you actually exchange the barley tokens for water tokens when selling them.

But the description of the card says "the player can sell up to 3 goods tokens of one type as exactly one of the other two types" (my emphasis) -- it doesn't say you can exchange them without selling them. My understanding therefore is that they are exchanged when they are sold; they aren't exchanged first and then optionally sold.

The statement that you can sell less than 3 tokens just means that you can use the market to exchange one or two tokens; it doesn't have to be three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.