Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven’t played 2-player Agricola in a (figurative) month of Sundays, while Ron and Brian have been much more active in that respect. A week or so ago, Ron and I were the only Ugoi in attendance at our FLGS—which is not to say that there weren’t plenty of other gamers there; there were, but no other Ugoi, and no one else particularly motivated to join us in cardboard subsistence farming, so we settled in for a base game contest utilizing our standard deal ten, drop three draft. I got the button by random selection.

Round One/Sow & Bake
Geoff – Ock/Field Watchman
Ron – 3W(3)
Geoff – 1G + PF
Ron – SP + House Goat

I open with one of the game’s acknowledged premiere Ocks; Ron counters with a wood haul. I “play the Ock, use the Ock,” placing the field next to my corner room, and Ron snags the button to activate a prime food Minor. Off we go, so far, so relatively normal…

Current Status
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 1G, 1PF, 1 Ock
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 3W, 1 MnImp

Round Two/Sheep
Ron – Occ/Clay Worker
Geoff – 1R(2)
Ron – 3W(3) +1C ??
Geoff – 1C(2)

Ron pops a standard workhorse as his first Ock, I swipe the reed, and Ron surprises me by putting his Ock to task on the wood instead of the clay which I promptly confiscate. Ron is typically very big on obtaining an early cookery, yet he’s effectively ceded it to me in what appears to be an effort to deny me lumber. So be it, but in retrospect I believe this is a gigantic first error on Ron’s part.

Current Status
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 2C/2R, 1G, 1PF, 1 Ock
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 6W/1C, 1 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Three/MIMI
Ron – Occ(-1f)/Woodcutter ?
Geoff – MIMI/Fp2 (-2C)
Ron – 3W(3+1) +1C
Geoff – Fish(3f)

Ron now possibly stumbles with a second Ock,* and after I circumspectly pick up the fireplace, puts it immediately to task along with the Clay Worker. I empty the pond, lacking a suitable Minor to effect a button heist, much as I’d love to deny Ron reed again.

*I’ll discuss this later in Bits & Pieces.

Current Status
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 5f, 2R, 1G, 1PF, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 10W/2C, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Four/Fences
Ron – 1R(2)
Geoff – DL(2f)
Ron – Fish(1f)
Geoff – SP + Guest> (-2f)

Ron claims the reed he requires for construction, and I DL to keep his options limited. Pressed for food, he fishes. Now it’s time for me to swipe the button and get the Guest in gear. I’m hoping that FG doesn’t materialize next Round, although I won’t object too hard if it does; Ron’s about to find himself in a sticky situation. We feed as per normal, with Ron’s House Goat providing its first benefit.

Current Status
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 2R, 1G, 1PF, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 10W/2C/2R, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Five/Stone
Geoff – 3W(6)
Ron – Sheep(4)runaway4 ?
Geoff – BR(1) + x (-5W/2R)
Ron – 1C(3+1)
Geoff – 1G + PF

I rake in the stacked timber, and Ron is faced with a tough choice: does he get the first room built and leave me the woolies, or not? I can tell he’s been thinking about this, as there’s only the briefest of hesitations before he plucks the woolies from the board and discards them. I waste no time, either, building a room. Ron loads up on clay, and I put the Watchman to task again. This field, too, goes next to my hut.

Current Status
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 1W, 2G, 2PF, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 10W/6C/2R, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Six/Family Growth + MI
Geoff – 1R(2)
Ron – BR(1) + 2s (-9W/2R)
Geoff – FG + x
Ron – MIMI/CH4 (-4C)

Happily for moi, Family Growth manifests. There’s no way I’m going to allow Ron the pleasure of a double-build, though; I take the reed. Ron presses the issue, putting up a room and breeding stables.* I hire on, which I would have done anyway, never mind that I have no playable Minor, and Ron finally picks up a cookery.

*Of course, given his ownership of the House Goat, they aren’t really breeding stables, since he can’t house a newborn.

Current Status
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 1W/2R, 2G, 2PF, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 1W/2C, 2s, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp

Round Seven/Renovation + MIMI
Geoff – Sheep(2)burn2
Ron – Fish(3f)
Geoff – 3W(6)
Ron – 1S(3)
Geoff – S&B (2Gf)

Taking no chances, I immolate the woolies, and likewise, Ron fishes.* I haul the cheap lumber, Ron commandeers the rocks, and I plant my grain. At harvest, I sacrifice the reapings.

*He knows quite well that I’ll happily put fini to the finny food if he dares to take the 6Wood. He’d do the same if the situation was reversed. The question of whether or not he could have gotten away with adding a worker and taking a Begging Card is something I’ll leave to Constant Reader to opine upon.

Current Status
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 7W/2R, 2PF(4g), 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 1W/2C/3S, 2s, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp

Round Eight/Vegetables
Geoff – BR(1) + 1s (-7W/2R)
Ron – FG + Duck Pond (3f> )
Geoff – DL(2f) ?
Ron – MIMI/Well (5f> -1W/3S)
Geoff – 1R(2)

Economic games of Agricola’s nature are based on expansion, and I see no point in not keeping the pressure on Ron; I put up another room, along with a stable. Ron quite rightly adds a worker and a handy Minor. I then potentially stumble with a DL visit; my intention is to inhibit Ron’s food-gathering and/or ease my own. Ron counters by picking up the Well, and I instantly wonder if I should have blocked that move with a cookery upgrade. Chastened, I nab the reed, aware that Ron has just generated five points and a downstream 8food.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 2R, 2PF(4g), 1s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 2C, 2s, 2 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp

Round Nine/Boar Ron – (2f)
Geoff – Sheep(2)
Ron – 3W(6+1) +1C
Geoff – 1C(4)
Ron – Occ(-1f)/Layabout
Geoff – Ren>C (-4C/1R) + Fp2>CH5
Ron – SP + Bookshelf (-1W)

To assure my own supplies (as well as keep pressure on Ron), I play shepherd, and Ron hauls in the enhanced lumber, a move that presages his next gambit. I abscond with clay for my own gambit, and Ron puts the Layabout into play. Uh-hunh, as I suspected. I execute the double upgrade; Ron counters with a button heist and a pointed Minor from which he’ll extract further use. I roast the hapless woolies at harvest, pulling more grain from my fields, while Ron lazes about.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 1R, 2G, 2PF(2g), 1s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 6W/3C, 2s, 3 Ock, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Ten/Cattle Ron – (2f)
Ron – Occ(+2f)/Pieceworker ?
Geoff – Boar(2)
Ron – 1R(2+1-1f)
Geoff – SP + Manure
Ron – 1S(3+1-1f)
Geoff – FG + x

Ron puts his new Minor to immediate task ocking the Pieceworker, surprising me once again. He and I agree that the Pieceworker is a deceptive boon at best. I quickly sequester the piggies. Ron sets his new Ock upon the reed and stone, while I reclaim the button, activate my first permanent Minor, a handy item I wish I’d been able to effectively get out a bit earlier, and then add another worker.* Note also that I clear remnant grain from my fields thanks to Manure. The action count stands at Ron – 22 and Geoff – 25, a not-insurmountable gap given Ron’s possession of the Guest.

*Constant Reader may wonder why I didn’t do so last Round, and saved renovation for later. Mostly it had to do with fear of not being able to feed.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 1f, 1R, 4G, 2b, 2PF, 1s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 6W/3C/3R/4S, 2s, 4 Ock, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Eleven/Stone Ron – (2f)
Geoff – 3W(6)
Ron – Cattle(2)
Geoff – Occ(-1G)/Stone Carrier
Ron – BR(1) + x (-5W/2R)
Geoff – SP + Planter Box
Ron – FG + Guest> (-2f)
Geoff – S&B (1Gf5 + 6f-2G)

I’m sorely tempted by the cattle, but fencing is a concern, so I haul the 6Wood. Ron herds the beef. I slough a grain* to put an Ock into play I’ll get minimal use from, but I need it to activate what I’m hoping is a critical Minor. Ron catches up in the peep race, augmenting his efforts with the Guest. I then sow one fecund field next to my hut, and bake my other two grain. At harvest, I roast my piggies as well, leaving me a comfortable surplus, while Ron torches his cattle to accomplish the same.

*Constant Reader may also wonder why I used a grain, instead of the food I so obviously possessed. Somehow, I had lost, misplaced, or otherwise mistakenly spent that food and thereby presumed that I had to use a grain. It wasn’t until I transcribed these proceedings that I discovered the error. If I am wrong about being wrong, I trust Constant Reader will apprise me of my mistaken mistake.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 5f, 6W/1R, 1G, 2PF(4g), 1s, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Ron – 4Wood Rooms, 4 Peeps, 5f, 1W/3C/1R/4S, 2s, 4 Ock, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Twelve/Family Growth w/o Ron – (1f)
Geoff – FG w/o
Ron – 3W(3+1+1-1f) +1C
Geoff – SP + Beanfield
Ron – 1G +1G –1f
Geoff – 1V
Ron – PF
Geoff – Occ(-1f)/Chief’s Daughter
Ron – 1R(2+1-1f)
Ron – Ren>C (-4C/1R) + Basketmaker’s Workshop (-2R/2S)

Taking on my fifth peep is a no-brainer; Ron responds with another augmented wood haul (including the probable mistake of buying an extra wood, which I consider to be only rarely worthwhile). I step on the button to get out the Beanfield. Ron throws a monkey wrench into my plans by taking grain (his expenditure for an extra is much more sensible than the wood purchase), so I grab a veggie. Ron plows his first field, I spring for another Ock,* and Ron closes out the Round with another reed haul, renovation, and seizure of a crafting Major. Another grain comes off my field, the endgame is underway.

*Hopefully, it’ll be a 3-point bonus, but I need it more so to activate further Minors.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 4f, 6W/1R, 2G/1V, 2PF(3g), 1s, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp
Ron – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 3f, 6W/1R/2S, 2G, 1 PF, 2s, 4 Ock, 3 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Thirteen/Plow & Sow Ron – (1f)
Geoff – P&S (PF + 1Gf/1Gf5/1Vf)
Ron – 1S(3+1-1f)
Geoff – 1S(3+1)
Ron – Ren>S (-1R/4S) + Joinery (-2W/2S) ?
Geoff – 1G + PF
Ron – Boar(3)burn1
Geoff – SP + Pelts
Ron – 3W(3+1+1-1f) +1C
Geoff – MIMI/Turnip Field (1Gf5)

Farming is my best move, without question, and I do just that, sowing half my available grain on the remaining empty field adjacent to my hut, and a veggie on the Beanfield.* Ron gathers rocks, exercising the Pieceworker, and I respond by putting the Stone Carrier to task. Ron then likely stumbles with premature renovation, claiming another crafting Major. I keep the Watchman busy, Ron herds the bacon, crisping one, and I step on the button yet again to activate a potential source of bonus points. Ron hauls enhanced timber yet again, and I finish up with another Minor that lets me healthily sow my new empty field.** Ron torches his remaining piggies at harvest, maintaining a food surplus, while I burn off my reaped veggie and trash three grain. I think at this point, Ron knows he is in trouble.

*This is what my farmyard looks like at this point:
xx xx xx g3 CR
xx xx g3 g5 CR
st xx xx CR CR

CR=clay room st=stable xx=empty space g3/5=grain field w/ 3 or 5 grain

**I am duty-bound at this point to mention that I first chose to MIMI the Guest again, to squeeze one more action out of the last Round, but then realized that this would leave me unable to feed my family. Ron very graciously allowed me to change the move, much to his credit.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 0f, 6W/1R/4S, 1G/0V, 4PF(12g), 1s, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/5 MnImp(1v)
Ron – 4Stone Rooms, 4 Peeps, 4f, 9W/1C, 2G, 1 PF, 2s, 4 Ock, 4 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Fourteen/Renovation + Fences
Geoff – Fences(4) (-4W)
Ron – P&S (PF + 2Gf)
Geoff – Cattle(3) ?
Ron – Sheep(5)burn3
Geoff – 1G + PF
Ron – 1V +1V-2f
Geoff – 3W(3)
Ron – FG w/o
Geoff – Ren>S (-1R/4S) + Fences(5) (-5W)

I now exact revenge for the Round Five wooly block by fencing the stable in the corner of my farmyard.* Saddened, Ron farms for effect. I mistakenly glom the cattle instead of the woolies I should have harvested, which Ron promptly does.** I squeeze final use out of the Watchman, Ron cancels his veggie negative, I haul the remaining lumber, Ron takes on his last peep, and I top things off with renovation to stone and final fencing. Ron sloughs a superfluous wood at harvest (his newborn wooly runs away), while I serve up two cows to the flames, spend two of that food via Pelts, and meet the balance of my obligations with four grain. Tally ho!

*I likely should have gone ahead and fenced a two-space pasture with my 6Wood, but as it turns out, it doesn’t matter.

**I’d have earned another two bonus points via Pelts.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Stone Rooms, 5 Peeps, 0f, 2G/1V, 1c, 5PF(8g), 1(1x1)1(2x1)p, 1s, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/5 MnImp
Ron – 4Stone Rooms, 5 Peeps, 2f, 8W/1C, 2G/2V, 2sh, 2 PF(4g), 2s, 4 Ock, 4 MjImp/3 MnImp

Final Score (Ocks Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as SP)(Total Primary(Special) Actions)(PPA*)(Food Spent)
Primary Actions are those first taken when a player claims a space with a family member. In sessions of Farmers on the Moor, special actions are counted as Primary actions, with their subtotal indicated in parentheses. * - Points per Primary Action.

Geoff – 39 (3 Occ, 6°/1)(21/0)(10)(43)(0.907)(48)
Ron – 35 (4 Occ, 4°/4)(21/6)(4)(38)(0.921)(45) ° both played Guest once

Player Fields Pastures Grain Veg Sheep Boar Cattle Unused Stables House Peeps Pts Bonus
Geoff 5(4) 2(2) 10(4) 1(1) 0(-1) 0(-1) 1(1) 3(-3) 1(1) 4S(8) 5(15) (3) (5)
Ron 2(1) 0(-1) 6(3) 2(2) 2(1) 0(-1) 0(-1) 7(-7) 0(0) 4S(8) 5(15) (12) (3)

Bits & Pieces
As is often the case, action totals spoke louder than overall efficiency. There’s really no getting around it, especially in a 2-player game; a 5-action deficit almost always takes extremely strong cards to overcome, and near-faultless play.

In retrospect, I find the sequencing of Ron’s Ocks a bit suspect, especially given the revelation after the game was over that he held the Wood Collector (a 5Wood over the next five Rounds). Had it been me, I’d have played the Collector first, then followed up with grabbing clay after the reed disappeared. After that, I’d go for the Clay Worker, with the long-term view of eventually getting out my third Ock to qualify the Bookshelf and further Ocks. The Clay Worker earned him a respectable 6Clay over the course of the game, but he failed to take proper advantage at key moments. Amusingly, Ron held both the Mason and the Master Builder as well, but couldn’t find the wherewithal to get them into play.

Likewise, Ron’s situation in Round Five was one I hate finding myself in, and would have been utterly different had he taken clay in Round Two instead of wood. Had he ceded the woolies to me, and built a room instead, he’d have had first growth and the action advantage (plus now the Guest was in his hands), and likely could have wrested the button/initiative from me, totally changing the course of the game. Despite the pain of leaving me a potential 8food, he overlooked the reality that that’s not points, and it’s not growth or increased actions/flexibility.

Lastly, Ron must not have had much in the way of Minors left in the endgame, which dissuaded him from vying for the button, leading ultimately to the disaster of my fencing to lead off the final Round, a swing value of at least eight points, and pretty much the final nail in his coffin.

Thanks for reading, as usual, and all bad editing courtesy of myself, as usual. Next report: two more noobs get indoctrinated into the influence of Ugoi farming, and the results aren’t necessarily pretty. Until then, may your gaming be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
It's fun to read a 2p, since that's what I've played the most.

I agree that scattering the woolies in 2p is generally a bad idea. It puts a strain on the food system (he might've gotten the sheep in R7 had he left you yours in R5), and here House Goat (otherwise good) makes it worse.

I learned the hard way to fence early, or save that last reno for R14. At least Ron had the Joinery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I'm more convinced that the key mistake was setting the Clay Worker on the wood instead of the clay back in Round Two. Ceding the reed and first cookery to me was huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
MisterG wrote:
Yep. I'm more convinced that the key mistake was setting the Clay Worker on the wood instead of the clay back in Round Two. Ceding the reed and first cookery to me was huge.

I have to think that getting the first fireplace and the first room is generally gg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Walnut Creek
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:

I agree that scattering the woolies in 2p is generally a bad idea. It puts a strain on the food system (he might've gotten the sheep in R7 had he left you yours in R5), and here House Goat (otherwise good) makes it worse.

I learned the hard way to fence early, or save that last reno for R14. At least Ron had the Joinery...

Scattering the woolies in 2p is generally a must, if you want a chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
I'd say at the time, scattering the woolies was the right move, since letting you have 8 food would have been worse. Ideally he wouldn't have been in the position to have to choose that, because he'd have gotten a cookery first.

Geoff, you said several times in your writeup that you were playing occs to enable playing minors. That sounds to me like letting the cards play you. Were those cards really that helpful? (Though, 3 points for 1F from Chief's Daughter is a decent trade)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Derakon wrote:
I'd say at the time, scattering the woolies was the right move, since letting you have 8 food would have been worse. Ideally he wouldn't have been in the position to have to choose that, because he'd have gotten a cookery first.

Geoff, you said several times in your writeup that you were playing occs to enable playing minors. That sounds to me like letting the cards play you. :) Were those cards really that helpful? (Though, 3 points for 1F from Chief's Daughter is a decent trade)

Stone Carrier was the questionable play. Field Watchman and Chief's Daughter were both solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Jung
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's hard to win a 2-player game if you don't get either the 2R or 2C in Round 2.

Other than moves already mentioned, Ron may have done better growing in Round 7 and either taking a Begging Card or simply playing Layabout. I also wonder if he had forgone stables (which he couldn't use to breed anyway) would have been stronger as he could threaten to build a room earlier.

I thought you played really solid, particularly early on. I do wonder about some of your DL grabs, but it's hard to fault a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
MisterBond wrote:
cjfoster wrote:

Scattering the woolies in 2p is generally a must, if you want a chance to win.
Don't you think this is overstating the point?

Sure, if it will cause them to beg, then scatter. If it will cause them to use more actions to gather food than it cost you to scatter, then maybe scatter. But in this case, Geoff used two actions to feed (2sh, S&B, 6f) instead of one (4sh, 8f). Ron used one action to scatter (not even able to keep a sheep), so they're even on actions as it relates to feeding. Geoff is out 2f (downstream grain notwithstanding). Ron grew in R8 instead of R6, costing him 2 actions. Is 2f really worth giving up first FG?

In this case at least, scattering was incorrect.

EDIT: ...and before we talk about the value of grain vs. food, replace S&B with DL and the comparison is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange no one mentioned this:

Subject: 2-Player Back to the Basics, or

Or what?! Your public wants to know. My vote
Spoiler (click to reveal)
2-Player Back to the Basics, or How to Keep an Idiot in Suspense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
Strange no one mentioned this:

Subject: 2-Player Back to the Basics, or

Or what?! Your public wants to know. My vote
Spoiler (click to reveal)
2-Player Back to the Basics, or How to Keep an Idiot in Suspense

I like that one just fine. Reminds me of that trick we used to pull back in school: give someone a piece of paper that says, "How do you keep a moron busy? Turn over." Which, of course, is what's written on the other side as well.

GG for being the first to notice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Derakon wrote:

Geoff, you said several times in your writeup that you were playing occs to enable playing minors. That sounds to me like letting the cards play you. Were those cards really that helpful? (Though, 3 points for 1F from Chief's Daughter is a decent trade)

To the second part, yes, in a sense I was doing just that, inasmuch as my plan was very much to get both Pelts and Turnip Field into play (Pelts was worth 2--shoulda been 4--points, and TF was good for a point, and a key spare sowing action). As Frederic notes, the Daughter was a solid 3-pt. play, though it should have been the Round Eleven choice, rather than the weak Stone Carrier. I wish I could remember what other Ocks I had, but none of them were anywhere near as potentially useful as the Carrier (which did, at least, besides helping me get to three Ocks, allow me to nab timely renovation stone with one action. That's marginal utility, admittedly, but ultimately served its purpose). Was it worth pursuing Pelts and TF? I'd have to say yes, even though I flubbed the payoff for Pelts.

To the first part, Christopher's analysis seems pretty good. Ron was bascially betting that FG wouldn't show in Round Six and that he would be able to snag the button to set himself up for Round Seven. Had he built the room, I get the sheep, yes, but he'll still get his clay, then his cookery and growth in Six, with the option of the Laybout to cover his food reqs in Seven. The core mistake was still using the Clay Worker on the wrong space in Two. Truth is, I'm wondering now if my reed grab was an error, should I have taken the clay first? I dunno, usually the reed seems wise, true? I didn't want to risk being double-blocked on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
CoryJ wrote:
MisterG wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's hard to win a 2-player game if you don't get either the 2R or 2C in Round 2.

Other than moves already mentioned, Ron may have done better growing in Round 7 and either taking a Begging Card or simply playing Layabout. I also wonder if he had forgone stables (which he couldn't use to breed anyway) would have been stronger as he could threaten to build a room earlier.

Ron's problem in Seven was that he couldn't grow and play the Layabout together; he had no food. Had he had the foresight to feed on a grain back in Four instead of fishing, he'd have been okay.

Quote:
I thought you played really solid, particularly early on. I do wonder about some of your DL grabs, but it's hard to fault a win.

Thanks. The first DL was specifically to fund the Guest at a time I thought was beneficial (and to make feeding all the more difficult for Ron). The Round Eight DL was an insurance move to keep options open in Round Nine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Looks like in R9 your 2nd move should be occ, and then Ron's forced to scramble for food with his last 2 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
Looks like in R9 your 2nd move should be occ, and then Ron's forced to scramble for food with his last 2 plays.

Yep, in retrospect, no question about it. But, it being a 10-3 draft, I had no definite knowledge that he had the Layabout, and was much more focused on the double upgrade. Good eye, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.