43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Nice components but awful assembly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Maus
msg tools
Just opened Star Trek Fleet Captains, I was impressed with the Expeditions game so thought this may be worth it.

shakeNOPE!

SHIPS
Many ships where busted), at first I thought it may have been due to the shipping here to Australia but closer inspection shows the ships had been broken during assembly and reglued (and not correctly) others where plain glued together wrong (i.e. hull pointing one way the rest pointing in another direction) worst of all the origional enterprise was assembled incorrectly, one engine pointing up the other down.
Finally some where jammed into the wrong insert resulting in ships and bases bent out of shape or again BROKEN.

CARDS
Also the card packs had been just jammed in the insert with half of them broken open and stewn all over the place, fortunetly all the cards are present and undamaged.

Counters
All together in one bag already punched, unfortunetly whoever punched em out wasnt gentle and after seeing the state of the ships & cards I ended up counting em all to make sure all where present (man that was fun).

MAP
All present but like the Expedition game they could have put some design effort into em (Funcional but unimpressed)

OPINION
The componentrs themselves are good quality and the game looks like a good idea but if zero care is made on assembly and packing then its all for nothing.
This gane costs almost a $100 by the time it reaches Australia
(even though the Ausy dollar is worth more???)

gulpBIG FAIL
At just under a $100AUD I expect and demand a minimum level of quality control which simply isnt present here, components have just been thrown together (some forced) and then jammed into the box.
It would have been easier and probably cheaper for me if they put the parts in unassembled so I could put em together myself.
Serously I cant believe these clowns are the same guys who produced the Expedition game????
From here on I'm not buying Wizkids/Heroclix anymore unless they can prove to me they have any quality control.

VERY EXPEN$IVE and VERY BUSTED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. Paying good money and getting poor quality product sucks. Some companies would remedy this for you, but I tend to think they are generally the smaller ones who care about their customers more so than the larger ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Maus
msg tools
whistleWell I havnt seen too many component complaints here so heres hoping it was a one off (last box to be completed that day before knockoff time perhaps).

Tomorow I'm gonna try the hot/cold water treatment for the bent ones and see if I can re-glue the broken ones.

Iregardless I sent the shop an email regarding the issue and maybe I'll get it sorted in the end.

yukIts just such a headache, I thought I was paying top $ to not go through this kind of crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Maus
msg tools
Ooops I stand corrected it looks as if plenty of people are having issues with components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This needs to be moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah don't worry, it seems anything can be passed as a review. It is an important and valuable post but it definitely not a review (as it was defined years ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I encountered a similar issue as well.

First, I want to say that I agree that the components in general are really nice. Also, the idea of the game and its level of complexity combined with its playability are an excellent feature of the game. I am really excited about the game and see many fun hours playing it. I do hope that there will be expansions with the Romulans and other rivals.

However, I agree with the original poster on this thread that more care needs to be put into the production and shipping of the game when one considers the cost of this game. Since I have had a similar experience, and because I am in the USA and not Australia, I do not think we can blame the problem on Fed-Ex.

I will now list what I encountered:

When I opened the box and I found one package of cards (Commander Cards) to have been broken open. They were littered about, but once I put them together, there is a nice slot in the box to store them.

I found all of the chits such as the away team, influence, cloaking tokens, etc., in a small plastic bag which was surprising to me. I thought that maybe someone might have previously punched them out from their holders. Thus, I had to go though a small messy bag in order to make sure al of the chits were there. Moreover, the dice were tiny and hidden inside the bag. They seem of poor quality and I will probably replace them.

One of my Klingon ships was broken off its stand as well. Superglue seems to work well for repair and now the ship is repaired nicely, but if we are using the stands to click our systems ratings, how many more ships may fall off their stands? It would almost be better if there was a lock rather than glue to hold ships to their stands.

In the end, I thought to myself that someone had opened the game and decided to return it. I was about to contact the game store from which I purchased the game until I saw this thread.

I would also like to note that the rules could be re-organized and clarified. The rules need to start by making it clear how the click stand works. For instance, I am still trying to figure out how much damage my Klingon ship takes in combat. The rules say a ship takes one step of damage each hit it takes. However, the stand has multiple Yellow and Red Alert status bars. Do I determine what level of Yellow or Red Alert I want my ship to have, or do I just click through each level of Yellow and Red Alert until it is destroyed? I am guessing it is the former, but it remains unclear.

In conclusion, I think a little more care for the game's production and packaging is required. Amenities such as quality dice and more bags or organized places to store the chits would improve the overall presentation of the game. If this were a less expensive game I would be less critical, but a comparable game like Earth Reborn adds the extra amenities that makes one feel like they have received what they have paid for. Do not take me wrong, I still think the game is a great buy and is a lot of fun, but I do feel that a few elements of the game could be improved.

P.S. There is another thread that discusses finding the starship bases. I too had to search around the box to find the home bases for the Federation and Klingons until I discovered that it is necessary to lift the section where the starships are stored (which is a component that fits into the overall storage holder), in order to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
< Pet Peeve >

Where =/= Were

< /Pet Peeve >
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordi sarda
Andorra
California
flag msg tools
mb
E-mail to Wizkids asap... I had some minor issues with Star Trek Expeditions and they send me replacements very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano Ware
United States
Farmington Hills
Mi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With all of this QC complaints I am definitely going to wait to buy this game on discount and maybe even wait to get it in trade. I guarantee I will not pay $100 for this. Right now my target price is down to $50 but if these ships don't hold the test of time I may even go as low as $40 and simply try to buy someone's components and rules and let them keep their ships as I will be proxy mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another complaint. I decided to check here and Wizkids first before complaining to the retailer. My ships came in similarly wrecked...with the Klingon bird of prey off at it's stem, the Saber class with one of it's nacelle's torn off, the Sutherland Nebula class broken off it's base, the packs of cards torn open and strewn around the box.

I was thinking it looked like it was used or something and was gong to complain, but it seems this is a problem with then new games. I think Super glue might work for the nacelle and Nebula...but how do I glue the clear plastic stem for the Bird of Prey back together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Vandalia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purchase on hold. Too many complaints to pull the trigger. Hopefully QC improves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange, Wizkids is in the business of selling tons of delicate little plastic figs (Heroclix for example) and they fail this hard at packing? What is going on here? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one mouse-click away from pre-ordering this game. So glad I checked reviews first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. My copy (purchased for me at GenCon this year) was in exceptional shape. It even successfully made the 14-hour flight to Bahrain in my suitcase without any breaking.

I'd take some of these gripes with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... you don't see how there could be a difference in an early batch of games being made available for sale at GenCon, and the "mass market" run of games done later?

I'm not going to take anything with a grain of salt until I hear more reports about people's experiences with post-GenCon shipments that DON'T end with "the cards were loose and the ships were broken."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
So... you don't see how there could be a difference in an early batch of games being made available for sale at GenCon, and the "mass market" run of games done later?

I'm not going to take anything with a grain of salt until I hear more reports about people's experiences with post-GenCon shipments that DON'T end with "the cards were loose and the ships were broken."

Read this thread - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/702704/no-problems-post-...

FWIW - I got my copy at my FLGS yesterday, nothing broken and the plastic wrap around the cards was 100% intact. I am VERY happy with the product overall, and although the cards / location cards are thin, they are made of nice feeling linen stock which I think will hold up well.

I agree, I was anxious about picking this up, after reading all the bad reports here. I suspect Wizkids will help anyone who has a problem though.

Personally, I LOVE this game, and couldn't be happier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Weird. My copy (purchased for me at GenCon this year) was in exceptional shape. It even successfully made the 14-hour flight to Bahrain in my suitcase without any breaking.

I'd take some of these gripes with a grain of salt.

What, you want pictures for proof or something!?

Thanks...I'll remember not to trust your word either.

I was actually going to complain and demand a refund from the retailer originally when the box came in. It literally was in terrible shape. That it would come new like this however, is probably more Wizkidz.

My hypothesis is that the cards were too heavy for the wrap they put them in, hence they burst. The initial weight of the cards went around the box and busted up some of the ships. Other's were just put together in shoddy shape to begin with. Of course that doesn't really explain the Bird of Prey which was in it's slot securely, but the clear plastic stem that holds it on the base was broken clean in two. It looked more like someone handled it, it broke, and they put it in anyways.

That's why I thought it was used at first (though how one gets a used copy this early is anyone's guess) and they shipped me a used copy that they had reshrinked instead of a new copy. I was pretty upset to tell the truth.

Unpainted doesn't bother me...components broken like this DOOO upset me. I haven't done close inspections yet of everything, but thus far, I also have ships that have loose parts on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my copy today, first thing I notice upon opening the box is that cards are strewed everywhere around the box, I found a few damaged cards in what I think looks to be a shrink wrap exposed to some sort of unfriendly chemical, it was very brittle, and full of holes, all cards were present, but out of the 200 command cards, 4 different klingon cards were bent with creases.

I sort those out, the rest of the cards were fine in original shrink rap, however I have no idea how this plastic insert they provided is designed in any way to hold the cards they gave me. Second step was to throw the bottom insert out, and I'm still debating throwing out the insert holding the ships once I figure out how else to store them.

Next I pulled all the ships out and inspected them. Quality of the ships is passable, however assembly is horrendous. I have an excelsior with it's saucer section glued on at a 45 degree angle from the base, also I have a nebula class ship with each section glued like they all wanted to go in a different directly. The nacelles tilt on way, the equipment module tilts the opposite, the saucer is actually rotated so that "forward" is apparently about 17 degrees to the left from what the deflector thinks is forward. and there are globs of glue on my science vessel. And my IKS Rotarran is broken right off of the stand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:

Never said that at all. But we're all used to see huge knee-jerk reactions in here over game releases when half the time it only reflects the vocal minority rather than the mainstream experience.

SommerMatt wrote:

Totally your prerogative but be aware that a few of us have already posted in here with reports that don't end with the cards being loose and ships broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
What, you want pictures for proof or something!?

Thanks...I'll remember not to trust your word either.

Knee-jerk much? No one asked you for proof - my point is that other gamers need to take remarks like these (where the customer is heavily implying that ALL or MOST of the products are poorly packaged) with a huge grain of salt if there are also plenty of others who are claiming that their games arrived in great shape. Nothing more, nothing less. Relax, man and try to remember that it's just a board game. It's not like your brand new Honda came with broken engine. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the "good" link.

I'm glad people are getting good copies, but even the "good" copies seem to be borderline in many ways. I think I'm just going to wait on this one until the kinks get worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why you always visit the factory in China when your game is being packed. Otherwise, this happens. I've heard this story a million times for a million different products. The product is great, the idea is great, the company is great, and it all falls apart because nobody's there to supervise the packing. You can't really blame the workers, the next day they're packing someone else's product and they're not paid enough to care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Maus
msg tools
devilBack to the Review:

CARDS
After I sorted the cards I think they have done a better job than Star Trek Expediations, the cards havnt curled up and they dont stick together. Graphics & Fonts look okay.

soblueBOARD
The board is made of the same card stock as the cards, nice idea but are too light and as such get knocked out of place real easy. Usable but annoying.

TOKENS
Too small and fiddly and came already punched, mine where sadly damaged by whomever punched em out
(HINT Wizkids give these people a blade to cut em out).

soblueSHIPS
Ooookay, I've managed to re-glue and bend back into place (hot cold water method) most of the ships. The USS Sutherland and Enterprise still look like mutants and a Bird of Prey is still drying off but I'll have to make do.
Admitadly they do look great once sorted out even if unpainted
(HINT Wizkids put the paint colors online so we can match the paint we use with the ST Expeditions ships)

coolRULEBOOK
Like it, nice design but easily still usable (like Expedition's)

blushApologies if I've seemed a bit of a gripe but I've had to put some hours (that could have been spent playing) puting this game into playable order.

If so much of it hadnt been broken, miss-assembled and miss-packed I think I would have given this two thumbs up (even with the thin board tiles).

As is I give the copy I recieved a 1 thumb up (just).

I'm going to close my review as I'm going to try some play testing now (maybe a session report later)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Totally your prerogative but be aware that a few of us have already posted in here with reports that don't end with the cards being loose and ships broken.

Some people also report never having a problem with their Xbox 360. Doesn't mean a problem doesn't exist, just because your copy didn't have it. There's clearly an issue here, as multiple games from all over the place have similar things wrong with them. How much of an issue is hard to tell true, but it's more than there should be, so people are right to be cautious, especially until they see how Wizkids responds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.