Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Amun-Re» Forums » General

Subject: Amun Re and Tower of Babel Cards- Tacked-on or Critical to Gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I remember reading somewhere that the special action/ability/scoring cards for Amun Re and Tower of Babel were more of an afterthought rather than an integral part of the design. I am planning on bringing both of those games back to the table shortly and was wondering if I should dispense with them or keep them in with the rules as written.

If I toss them, are there any special modifications I should make to the game play?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacked on for Tower of Babel. Definitely not for Amun Re.

It's been a couple of years since I played ToB, but I seem to remember simply tossing the cards and making no adjustments. You can't even contemplate tossing the cards from Amun Re. There are no modifications, the game would be completely broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did hear that the Amun-Re power cards, like the Tower of Babel bonus cards, were added at the request of the publisher. I think the difference is that the A-R cards actually make the game more fun. The ToB cards don't.

I'm not sure whether Knizia had more say in the design of one or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I did hear that the Amun-Re power cards, like the Tower of Babel bonus cards, were added at the request of the publisher.

I've never heard that about Amun-Re, and I've followed the game closely ever since it was released (it's one of my few 10s). What I have heard is that Amun-re and Ra were both once part of the same heavy Egyptian themed game, but that he split them up.

Amun-Re just doesn't make any sense without the power cards. Without the cards it's not like there's even a game there that could be taken to a publisher for the publisher to suggest to put cards in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
wmshub wrote:
I did hear that the Amun-Re power cards, like the Tower of Babel bonus cards, were added at the request of the publisher.

I've never heard that about Amun-Re, and I've followed the game closely ever since it was released (it's one of my few 10s). What I have heard is that Amun-re and Ra were both once part of the same heavy Egyptian themed game, but that he split them up.

Amun-Re just doesn't make any sense without the power cards. Without the cards it's not like there's even a game there that could be taken to a publisher for the publisher to suggest to put cards in it!

I only played the game once late in its playtesting. This was in part to test a publisher idea, but it was not card related. That makes me think that cards were not a publisher idea, or I would have expected that to have been mentioned. However I don't know for sure.

There were very few changes from that version to the published version, but they were definite improvements. One of them was card related, but it was refining, not adding or removing.

(Sorry, I don't do details, as they aren't mine to share. And unfortunately I can claim no credit for anything at all connected with the game except helping Reiner observe one game I played in. I don't even recall making any useful comments. I did win the game though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! This has been helpful. Amiun Re with the cards and I will look to pull them out of ToB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Thanks all! This has been helpful. Amiun Re with the cards and I will look to pull them out of ToB.

If I remember correctly, you get cards in ToB for completing a wonder - will you replace the receipt of a card with something else (like bonus VPs). If not I think you will change the game by more than just what the cards do,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
JimF wrote:
TedW wrote:

If I remember correctly, you get cards in ToB for completing a wonder - will you replace the receipt of a card with something else (like bonus VPs). If not I think you will change the game by more than just what the cards do,
ToB is best with no reward at all for finishing a wonder. It can often be to your benefit to finish a wonder without any reward other than the disc and/or points for your markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
ToB is best with no reward at all for finishing a wonder. It can often be to your benefit to finish a wonder without any reward other than the disc and/or points for your markers.

I was more referring to the decision before that on whether to choose to build a disc which would leave just one easy to build disc on a wonder. With the card bonus the dis-incentive for doing so was very high, which tended to spread building amongst the wonders and also focused the mind on which discs might prove difficult for someone to build if left as the last disc on a wonder. Seems the removal of the cards will have other impacts - whether these are better or worse will probably be a matter of taste. Agree, the differing power of the card abilities add a big slice of luck - but again whether this is worse or better is a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.