Subject: Geek of the Week #315 - Marx09 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmb
Thanks so much for taking a lot of time to provide some thoughtful answers to all my questions!

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
I'm rather late to the party, but it has been a pleasure to get to know you a little bit, Marc. From what I've gleaned from your snippets of philosophical and political musings, you seem to be a kindred spirit!

Hey Josh! Thanks for stopping by with your amazing questions!
I think I've been blessed by exceptional friends... they've helped mould me into the man I am today (which, admittedly, still has the mind of a 16-year-old, but such is life!). I suspect that the Geek draws people like us here... I don't know what force of Nature to attribute it to, but for all intents and purposes it's magic.

squash wrote:
Since I'm too lazy to present myself in a more organized fashion, I'm just going to haphazardly toss out several thoughts and questions that popped into my head while reading through your thread...

A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind. Carry on!

I have no doubt this is true, as my desk is immaculate!

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
I. Geography. If I've got it straight, you were born in Hamilton, currently live and work at a job you dislike in London, spend weekends in Toronto, and have a brother in Vancouver. Myself, I was born and raised in London, currently live in Cambridge, work at a job I've grown to hate in Toronto (although I've also lived in Sault Ste Marie, Thessalon, Toronto, Mississauga, and Oakville), and one of my brothers just moved back to Ontario from Vancouver. If you're looking for a game group in London, I know a couple of really nice guys there who are involved with a couple of gaming groups. And Argentina! Last November I was flown to Buenos Aires to be a contestant on Season 1, Episode 5 of Wipeout Canada! Have you been to Argentina?

Wow, that's pretty spot on in regards to my geography... and very cool in regards to yours. I'm curious why your brother (or anyone, really) would want to move BACK to Ontario from Vancouver... but I don't mean to pry! I'm blessed/cursed with almost infinite curiousity!

If my brother had had a choice, he would have stayed in Vancouver rather than come back to southern Ontario, the armpit of Canada! And don't worry - I, too, am an endlessly curious person, particularly when it comes to prying below peoples' carefully manufactured exteriors (thus all the questions!)...

Marx09 wrote:
Yes, I have been to Argentina... but as the fates would have it, the last time I went (many moons ago) was in the middle of a massive economic crisis in the country. Crime rate sky-rocketed (my grandmother was threatened at gun-point through her front gate... to which she literally "Shoo-ed" the criminal away and closed her door, and one of my uncles was shot in the stomach and car-jacked), the police abandoned everywhere except the downtown core... it was horrible. So horrible, sadly, that it has tainted my view on an otherwise beautiful country... I can't bring myself to go back. I get cold shivers just thinking about it.

The problem is that my Spanish is quite weak (my family called me "pero", 'dog', because I would turn my head and listen when people talked to me, but could only nod or shake my head in response), and while I'm confident enough to deal with dangerous situations (if I have to) in English, in Spanish I wouldn't have a clue what to do.

squash wrote:
II. Crossbows and Catapults. I was fortunate to grow up amongst a family of gamers with 3 younger brothers, and that was a game that definitely got a lot of play! I currently have thrifted copies of Battleground: Crossbows & Catapults War Chest Starter Set and Weapons & Warriors: Castle Combat Set collecting dust on my game shelf, waiting for my 2 sons (aged 19 months and 2 weeks) to hurry up and get a few years older. Do you still play games with your brother when you get together?

I freakin' loved Crossbows and Catapults (even as my brother and I slowly destroyed EVERY launching unit we had by double and triple folding the elastic bands... until the plastic warped and/or broke!).

Whenever I get together with my brother there are usually games involved... recently it's been more video games (I bought him a DS just so we could play Advanced Wars and one of the Panzer games against each other)... and for a year or two we were really big into the Battlefield Series of games (for awhile his girlfriend at the time was ranked #7... out of ALL THE PLAYERS ON EARTH... for Battlefield 2). But I've been DYING to introduce him to Memoir... I only get to see him once or twice a year, max, though, and he's generally ridiculously busy, sadly. But I try!

squash wrote:
III. Writing. Your joy of the experience of gaming comes through in your writing, and it's a pleasure to read. I, too, love to write, but almost never have the time to do so. Whose writing style do you wish you could emulate?

Tough call. If I COULD emulate anyone's style of writing, I'd probably go for Pournelle ("The Mote In God's Eye", for example, is one of my absolute favourite Sci-fi novels) or Hamilton... both who I deeply respect. I like Asimov but I find he has fantastic stories that he struggles to tell in a compelling way... I find his writing too dry, I suppose.

But I don't really TRY to emulate any of them. I have my own voice (albeit a quiet, immature one at this point), and I like finding ways to make it come through in my writing.

squash wrote:
IV. Twilight Imperium. With Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa having been my #1 game as a child, epic conquest games are one of my favourite genres (along with deduction games). For me, no board game has been more capital "E" Epic or has had a greater narrative quality than War of the Ring (first edition). It is my current #1 ranked game, and I even have a GeekList dedicated to the Epic battles I've played against my wife! As a life-long Tolkien fan, surely you must have checked out this game by now at least in passing!

Ah, War of the Ring. It is currently my only "Must Have: 1" rating on my wishlist... and it's so freakin' expensive. Yes, I would love to get a copy of the game, and it is the only thing that I'll bid on if it comes up in a BGG Auction (which, unsurprisingly, it never does). But it's just out of my price-range at this point. One of these days!

It will definitely be worthwhile holding out for the updated version that Ares Games will be releasing, anyhow.

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
V. Space games. Relating to the previous point, there seems to have been rather a lot of "space empire" games flooding the market lately, such as the recently released Supernova (looks mildly interesting), Terra Prime (also looks mildly interesting), Ascending Empires (looks fun!!), and Space Empires: 4X (looks too wargamey), and the soon-to-be-released Eclipse, Empires of the Void, Target Earth, Battle Beyond Space, and Interstellar Mayhem. Eclipse seems to be getting all the hype, but to me, Empires of the Void is looking like the most interesting one so far, with Battles Beyond Space also looking intriguing, although a space empire game has to be at least better than Galactic Emperor for me to consider purchasing it. What about you - are any of the new breed of space games capturing your imagination?

Well, I picked up Space Empires:4X because I love the concept of a boardgame version of 4X gameplay... but I agree it's a little wargame-y. Certainly the MOST wargame-y of all the games I have, but having never played one before I figured it might be a nice way to try it out. Haven't actually gotten it on the table yet (or cut/clipped the counters!).

Of the ones I DON'T have, Eclipse and Coreworlds are the ones that have caught my eye the most... but now that you've drawn my attention to the others, I will absolutely have to check them out. I love good Sci-fi games... and I agree. Galactic Emperor is kinda like an entry-level sci-fi game. "You Must Be At Least This Awesome To Pass".

laugh

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
VI. Colours. I even like your colour choices! My favourite colour is black and my wife's is red, which made a nice combination for our wedding. (Also, I tend to think of black and red as the preferred colours of punks and pirates. arrrh )

You have a beautiful wife, and I am officially jealous. Nice suit, too! My girlfriend alternates between orange, green, and purple as choices, so it leaves the red or black for me!

squash wrote:
VII. Snowboarding. What is your local hill of choice? I'm a complete wimp when it comes to cold weather and my equipment is at least 10 years old and beat to shit so I hardly ever get out any more, but I was able to do an amazing trip to Alberta last January and board all 3 of the "Big Three" (twice at Lake Louise!). That seems like the way to go now if I can afford it: 1 trip per year and rent a board!

When I first learned how to 'board, I bought a brand-new snowboard for about $700. Not top of the line by any means, but a good, sturdy board that would last me for years.

The first time I took it to the mountains, I locked it up and within two minutes it was gone... I know it was two minutes because I locked it, walked back inside the chalet to get the other lock for my girlfriend's board, walked back outside and it was gone.

To say I was livid... understatement. Insult to injury: The chalet wanted to CHARGE ME for their lock, which was stolen with the board.

I almost killed the man who suggested it.

Anyway, I don't really have a "local" hill... sometimes Blue Mountain (where my board was stolen), sometimes Hockley Valley... I learned on "Bowler Mountain" in London (which, as I'm sure you know, is more of a snow-covered speed bump than an actual hill!).

Half-a-dozen years ago I discovered that Bowler "Mountain" has quite an extensive system of mountain bike trails. They weren't very technical, but they were fun and the constant elevation changes gave quite a workout! I haven't had a chance to bring my bike back there, though.

Marx09 wrote:
Every time I've gone to Vancouver in the last five years I have hassled, begged, and pleaded with my brother to go to Whistler... to no avail. One of these days!

squash wrote:
VIII. Pratchett. I haven't read much fantasy at all beyond working through the Narnia series, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy a few times. But I've been wanting to explore the genre a bit more, and have heard consistently good things about Pratchett's writing. I was thinking of starting with his "Death Novels" series - would you recommend something different. I've also heard good things about Robin Hobb. Have you? My sci-fi reading has been limited to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, the first 2 Ender's Game books, and the Tales of the Dying Earth series (which I guess is probably closer to fantasy than sci-fi). Interestingly enough, the hobby of board gaming is what sparked my interest in doing more fantasy reading, although I still can't really get into sci-fi much at all.

Okay, Pratchett: this is a tough call to recommend a starting book. The first three books are, without question, the worst he's ever written... but they set up much of the underlying framework which grows into the wonder that is the Discworld. But they're pretty shoddy (especially compared to his own later work). So, if you can keep an open mind, I recommend reading at least the first three, maybe the first 5, in chronological order.

If you want to dive right into the meat (and understand that you'll miss a couple of the references), then my suggestion is "Guards! Guards!" to start... I love the City Watch books. The "Death Novels" are ALSO remarkably good... Death himself is a fantastic character. You can't go wrong with either of them.

I haven't heard of Robin Hobb before, but I will definitely check it out now...

Sci-fi is really a massive, mixed bag. Some of it is fantastic, but a lot (a LOT a lot) just won't jive with your style. Try reading "Snow Crash" by Stephenson... it's more Cyber-punk than true "sci-fi", but it's one of my favourites.

Added to my reading list - thanks! It'll be fun to check out a genre that is new to me.

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
IX. Cooking. I'm a terrible cook, but this is my wife's favourite hobby. What is your favourite meal to cook/eat?

I love to cook and bake... which made me quite popular when I lived in residence! I tend to bake more for fun than cook, though... I mean, I love making big, complicated meals with multiple courses and experimenting with new dishes... but I insist on having at least a few friends over when I do so (otherwise it's wasted!), and it's hard to arrange that these days. Nobody (myself included!) has the time!

But baking... that can be quick, and whenever I need a last-minute gift for anyone, my world-famous chocolate chip cookies are the answer. I assure you, they are hands-down the best chocolate chip cookie you will ever eat. I even have the recipe memorized!

Oh. My. God. I am a chocoholic, and I am hopelessly addicted to chocolate chip cookies in particular. (I even have the MicroBadge!) It is not an understatement to say that rarely a day goes by when I don't enjoy a cookie or two.

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
X. Video games. Do you have any recommendations for a simple yet strategic and fun turn-based PC game that can be played off and on in fairly short snippets of time? I have next to no video game experience in the past two decades besides getting hooked on the Age of Empires games about 10 years ago (although I grew increasingly frustrated with the real time aspect of those games). I'm very jealous of all the board games being released on the iPad, and I'd love to have a good game or two that replicate a board game experience, with AI opponents and all that jazz, on my PC. Civ games interest me and I even purchased Age of Wonders, but I just don't have the time to commit to those.

For the record, I've been looking at getting an iPad just for the gaming aspect too... although with the price drop on the Amazon e-reader, I may finally take the plunge and get one of those.

Anyways, I recommend the following: Go to "Abandonia" (a freeware/abandonware site) and check out their offerings of old, fantastic PC games. Some of them are spectacular... Then check out "GOG.com" (Good Ol' Games), where you can buy some other fantastic games for about $5 each... like Fallout 1 and 2, for example... or the old Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and so on... there's almost for sure something there to play.

After all that... Steam has some great games available, and it never hurts to wait for one of their sales (of which there are MILLIONS, so you should really never pay full price for anything!). I have an old laptop that I do my gaming on, so I need very forgiving system requirements, and thankfully Steam has a lot of those... sadly, this means missing out of some of the fantastic new games coming out these days, but such is life.

For PARTICULAR recommendations, I recommend Sword of the Stars (get the whole set for one price, if you can, and a fantastic turn-based game), Sins of a Solar Empire (which is hands-down the best Real-Time strategy game I've played in YEARS), and/or Delve Deeper (the best "board-game" game I've played on the PC for quite some time).

Awesome - I'll definitely check those out! Of the 2 games I've purchased recently (Age of Wonders and Joan of Arc - which made me realize what a boring game it was to play solo), I got one at gog.com and I think the other was from gamespot.com, or it might have been Steam.

Marx09 wrote:
Civilization Revolution is a neat take on the Civ-series of games, and you'll either love it or hate it. It's like Civ-lite, and I quite liked it... but again, not for everyone!

Wow - that looks like it could be right up my alley too, if it's available for the PC! I've been hoping I could find a streamlined civ game that didn't involve a great deal of fiddly upkeep.

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
Quote:
I'm motivated by a desire to leave a lasting, positive impact on humanity, and a sincere wish to see all people treated fairly and with respect.

XI. The above quote gives me extra hope for my final question! The odd time that I dive into the Geek of the Week forum I personalize my questions for the current GotW, but I always finish with this one: While you have the podium, is there anything you would like to state here that would normally get you sent off to the RSP forums (perhaps something important that you feel we should know)?

Huh. Tempting. Alright, I'll hit on all three in quick succession:

First, Religion: I have deep respect for spirituality. I have no respect for those that use religion as a crutch, as an excuse, or as a means to divide us. God doesn't exist, He/She/It has never existed, but that doesn't mean the world isn't a magical, incredible place filled with beauty and wonder.

"Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Let me just say that I really wish people studied their history and observed the world. That "conservative" or right-wing policies have, without exception, caused ruination and destruction for nations, the environment, and people the world over. That WITHOUT EXCEPTION, right-wing countries are driven into poverty where 99% of the people suffer and starve and 1% become insanely, horribly rich. And that everyone has to stop thinking that they're going to be in that 1%.

We have to stop pretending that we're all isolated from each other. We, as humans, live in communities... our family, our town, our province, our nation, our planet. And that we have to stop thinking that by doing what is best for me exclusively will somehow, magically, benefit anyone else... it doesn't work that way. We have to think globally. How can I help feed Africa? What can I do to make the lives of people in Quebec better? What can they do to improve the lives of people in Russia?

I wish, and this is aimed specifically at Canadians but is equally true the world over... I *wish* we would stop thinking that politicians HAVE to be liars. Why do we tolerate this crap?! Why do we just wave it off and say "oh well, that's politics"?! Maybe once, when politicians were nobles and had armies at their beck and call... but today!? These are just PEOPLE. And people make the choice to be honest or dishonest, they make the choice to be evil or not.

Also, as an aside: I'll take a womanizer over an idiot as the most powerful man on earth ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Womanizing is unfortunate: idiocy at that level of government is unforgivable.

Next, we have to stop thinking about local solutions to local problems. We are part of a global community... we have to start thinking globally. Can't get the TTC to run properly? Tokyo serves ten times more people with a system that runs like clockwork (and offers free refunds for trains that arrive TWO MINUTES late!!!!). Go there. See what they're doing. Compare it to the trains in Berlin, in Portland, in New York, in Shanghai. Find out what they did right, what they wish they did differently. And then get a few of the best and brightest, and get them to come here and help us. There is no shame in asking for help: there should be no excuse for the shoddy, hap-hazard system of politics we Canadians so often have to tolerate.

Another aside: unions once served an important purpose: to protect their employees. Now they're more often an embarrassment, demanding wages that the system can't afford to support. For crying out loud, stop being such idiots and realize that if the economy sucks, you're gonna have to suck it up.

Lastly, and this is important: I really, really wish people would stop thinking sex is evil. That violence is fine, but sex is awful and shameful. And that our bodies are something we should be ashamed of, and that the only way to improve them is through cosmetic enhancements.

You (whoever YOU are, reading this right now) are beautiful. Treat your body with respect. Play, laugh, be proud of who you are, and remember that you have every right to be happy.

Amazing stuff! This little synopsis is one of the most wise and insightful pieces of writing I have ever read!! (It reminds me a lot of Vonnegut's non-fiction writing, actually. If you haven't checked them out, I highly recommend his books "A Man Without a Country" and "Palm Sunday".) The last sentence in particular is very reminiscent of my own motto: "Live, Love, Laugh, Play". I don't agree with 100% of what you wrote, of course, but rather than send your GotW thread into political and religious discussions, perhaps I'll reply in a little more detail via GeekMail.

Marx09 wrote:
squash wrote:
Quote:
I'm not really a play-to-win sorta guy, and I find gaming to be a social activity... a way to get to know people and laugh with friends.

This statement shows that you are truly a gamer after my own heart and exactly the type of person I love to game with, so if you're ever passing by Cambridge with some time to spare, please drop me a note (I live just off the 401 at Townline Rd) and perhaps we can hit a local coffee shop with a game.

Cheers, and thanks for hosting a fun week!

These days I barely have enough time as it is... I game with a few work buddies once in awhile in London, and I host game-nights once every few months in Toronto, but the rest of the time I'm up to my ears in trying to figure my life out. You know, working on the resume, talking with people from various fields, finding out what I really want to do, what I love, and what I hate about my job. Being self-aware is exhausting, but it's important... I think the capacity to be honest with ourselves is the only way to be happy in the long run (and not hurt others, coincidentally).

Now, all that aside... I would love to meet up sometime! You can never have enough friends! I'll drop you a Geekmail!

Honest self-assessment is a crucial skill that many people seem to be sadly lacking. I hope you're able to embark on a career that brings enjoyment, fulfillment, and at least enough money to pay the bills and have a little extra left over to buy some games!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Burn the land and boil the sea...
badge
You can't take the sky from me...
mbmbmbmbmb
beloveserve wrote:
I totally understand not being a fan of London. I was born & raised in Toronto - and I love visiting there often; with that said, I have no interest in moving back to Toronto. For now I just try to enjoy London'd moments.

I will have to check out Fu Kee. Thanks for the suggestion. If you ever want to game it up - let me know.

Just as a head's up: Fu Kee is run by a Chinese grandmother and makes no apologies for it. The menu is at least 75% Chinese-only, she is very vocal about "We no serve chicken balls"... I mean, this is AUTHENTIC Chinese. You've been warned.

That aside: the beef stew they serve is out of this world. I forget the name... Nu nyen? Something like that. It's incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll respond to the long post tomorrow, but for tonight!

The Two Truths and a Lie!

The lie was: 2. I stood in line for three hours and then cried like a baby at the end of "Serenity" (the Firefly movie). A hungry, angry baby.

This was, admittedly, pretty close to the truth... but I never stand in line for movies (life's too short!), and while I love Serenity I didn't go see it opening night.

Also, while I did shed a tear or two, I wouldn't say I cried like Mr. Universe at his wedding. But man, when that guitar-solo during the credits (right near the end) starting playing... it was touch and go for a minute. Thankfully I'm a man of iron!

And, for all those that chose the "Joseph Stalin" response: I was 6! I had just heard his name from some history show, and I thought it was a really cool name ("Stalin" meaning "Steel"... and me being a dumb 6 year old!).

Lastly, I did come in 2nd at the Canadian National Kendo tournament 4 years ago (although I wasn't able to compete this year due to an injury). The guy who beat me had been practicing for over 12 years: me for less than 2.

Of course, we were in the "Unranked" division (there are only 2 divisions; Unranked, and Black-belt-and-up)... but still! I'm ridiculously proud of that achievement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Of course, we were in the "Unranked" division (there are only 2 divisions; Unranked, and Black-belt-and-up)... but still! I'm ridiculously proud of that achievement!

As you should be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Marx09 wrote:
For the record, yes I realize that only 12 year old girls listen to Morning Musume... but

No! no! Iikoto Aru Kinen No Shunkan is one of the most brilliant songs I know.

I thought I recognized her...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:

As you should be!

Thanks Jim! I just started practicing again after a 3 month hiatus due to an Achilles injury... it's good to be back, I tell you what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Marx09 wrote:
For the record, yes I realize that only 12 year old girls listen to Morning Musume... but

Gah! Can't watch this on the train or at work... but I swear I'm going to as soon as I get home tonight!

I get way too giddy about good Jpop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

A good choice, but my favourite remain Sakura Mankai... the scene where the director must have said to the girls "Okay, now put something in your mouth and look cute" just kills me every time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.