Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Johns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm teaching this game to my gaming group this week. Which bidding version do you all reccomend? Should I teach them the original version or the cooperation variant?

Which one do most people prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with the original, and it works well. I don't see much reason to change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Modreski
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When we first played this, we played 6 players with the regular bidding, and it was terrible. Quite often you couldn't even try to make a bid by the time it got to you. I really thought a way to combine bidding, ala Santiago (which is I assume what you mean by "cooperation") was needed.

Later, we played again with only 4 players and the regular bidding, and it was much, MUCH better. Like a difference between "I will never go near this game again" and "That was pretty fun" better.

So, I'd say you're fine with regular bidding with 4 or less, but go for the combined bidding with 5 or 6 players.

Based on my whole 2 plays of experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Stadler
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only ever used the original version and never had problems with it. It was always fun. By the way, what's with the lot of question marks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Reis
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Always used the original bidding system!
Each player bids with his own cards and thats it. No unecessary clutter on non needed negotations with other players

My perception is that the variant system was "kinda" enforced by the publisher. One of the designers is very active on this forum and commented he felt very comfortable with the regular bidding system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I will make sure I can clearly teach both variations of the bidding and make a choice dependent on how many players show up

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have used the variant rules and actually like them better! It encourages placing a strong bid early on, as it prevents people combining their bids. It also helps prevent people from leeching off other people's bids.

That said, I would teach the game with the normal rules first, since they are simpler. Try both and see which style you prefer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.