Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Bowers
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One big complaint that I have heard about the board for Shogun is that it is to long and spread out compared to Wallenstein. I decided to analyze the two boards and see what the real differences were besides just shape.
The Shogun board is identical in shape and county divisions on both sides. The only difference being the divisions of the provinces. The main thing I noticed about the Wallenstein map is that the province names are written over boundaries and there is some question about whether or not some of the countries actually share a border.

Wallenstein:
# of provinces = 5
# of countries = 45
# of borders between counties = 236
# of counties with 9 borders = 0
# of counties with 8 borders = 2
# of counties with 7 borders = 6
# of counties with 6 borders = 11
# of counties with 5 borders = 9
# of counties with 4 borders = 10
# of counties with 3 borders = 5
# of counties with 2 borders = 2

Shogun:
# of provinces = 5
# of counties = 45
# of borders between counties = 191
# of counties with 9 borders = 1
# of counties with 8 borders = 0
# of counties with 7 borders = 3
# of counties with 6 borders = 4
# of counties with 5 borders = 10
# of counties with 4 borders = 15
# of counties with 3 borders = 7
# of counties with 2 borders = 5

Given the same amount of counties in both games, but the huge difference in the number of borders; I would say that Wallenstein would be the bloodier game as you have more borders to try and defend. Shogun's map is much more readable. I prefer Shogun because of the theme and the mechanic of bidding for turn order with the special powers involved, whereas Wallenstein is just random each turn. There is definately more tension in Wallenstein. Overall, in my opinion; Shogun is the better package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Rébérez
Belgium
Merchtem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steiermark and Bremen have only 2 borders, no ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference in the two sides of the shogun board suggest that the amount of borders between provinces matters more than the borders between the counties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Bowers
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defdamesdompi wrote:
Steiermark and Bremen have only 2 borders, no ?

You are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shawn_Solo wrote:
Given the same amount of countries in both games, but the huge difference in the number of borders; I would say that Wallenstein would be the bloodier game as you have more borders to try and defend.

From what I've seen, it's a huge disadvantage to try and hold territory in the center of the Wallenstein board because you can get assaulted from so many directions. As a result, the winners of Wallenstein tend to be the "edge huggers", while anyone who wasn't fortunate to start with sizable edge territories gets creamed in the middle.

The Shogun board allows more locations from which small empires can be built by smoothing out the discrepancy in borders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your effort. I'm late getting into this game system and heard all the talk that Wallenstein is superior to Shogun. I like the theme of Shogun better so this was becoming a confusing decision. Your analysis convinced me to choose Shogun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sightreader wrote:
As a result, the winners of Wallenstein tend to be the "edge huggers", while anyone who wasn't fortunate to start with sizable edge territories gets creamed in the middle.

With that being said, it's very easy to use an alternate setup technique that completely avoids the problem:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/395433/an-equitable-startup-...

Here's a demonstration video from Wallenstein:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.