Subject: Announcing - "All Things Geek" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was expecting a much more interesting subject matter from a show entitled "All Things Geek" than yet more game rules explanations, I thought they did an excellent job overall with their first video. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see you consider a format something like the wonderful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Horkheimer:_Star_Gazer.

Five minutes of pure enthusiasm. Not a ton of detail, but a great way to find out "what's up".

A few other thoughts:

Don't script things too tightly. Have key points to hit, but put use your own words in the moment.

Try to have some interview/interaction moments.

More consistent shots in terms of angles, framing, background and movement. Scott had some good comments on this.

Personally, I'm not likely to watch these to learn how to play games, but I might if they are more about news, commentary, or insider looks.

It's great to see this effort. Keep going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
And I understand the reasoning behind it and all. I'm sure she is a great person, and loves all things geek, but we all can't have a face for radio. And there will be people that will say, it's the first time and will get better as the episodes come in. But truthfully, this kind of talent isn't learned, it's natural. And IMHO, I'm not feeling it.

Seriously, that's your criticism? If I'm parsing your writing correctly, you are saying you dislike the video because you don't like the way she looks. Really? Do you troll Tom Vasel's videos with similar comments? How about UndeadViking? Drakkenstrike? Seems a bit misogynistic to me.

P.S. Don't start so many sentences with 'And.'

I enjoyed the video and thought the host was perfectly lovely.

I think he was referring to her talent, not her looks. I just watched the entire thing, and it was a bit painful. She looks uncomfortable, the dialogue seems scripted, forced, and not natural. The cuts were distracting and the pauses were too long. The ending comments are very repetitive and add no insight. I didn't understand the interaction with players paying you in 7 Wonders as it only came out in the expansion presentation?

I think she was trying too hard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:

Could / will there be some segments that take advantage of some of BGG's unique strengths and discuss our hobby in general, do interviews with well-known people, talk about things going on within this site (e.g. Golden Geek Awards, BGG.CON, etc.)

Definitely this. There are some great user created lists and stats that could be turned into segments as well. This may cause a clamor, I'm sure, but there is quite a lot of content that is very fun to follow.

How about BGG news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Huesken
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
designer
Looking for a copy of Key Town! Got a copy for trade?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job everyone! Please bring out more episodes, and often!

Many of the criticisms stated above have some valid points - but I think with each episode it will just get better and better.

I recently saw the very first episode for Seinfeld... compare that to the end of the season or an episode from season 3 or 4 and wow... what a difference!

When it comes to videos and podcasts.... the more the merrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Ah....Now I see were my yearly donation goes....To furnishing a nice house!

Concerning the video, I like it. I thought it was very well done and the host did a great job in explaining the games.

Keep up the great work and am looking forward to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Hm... yeah... Do we really need another video series explaining how games are played? Especially one that is so "rehearsed"? I mean, you can almost hear the scrolling of the auto-queue.

I have nothing against BGG producing its own videos, but with BGG's access to designers and producers of board games, I am pretty sure something a lot more interesting could be created.

QFT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
Acting, public speaking and any form of mass media performance or production take a lot of practice; if you've never done it be fair with your comments. Even polished performers admit to "phoning it in" at times and delivering shiny dreck, so why fret a first look that didn't wow you on contact?

I've seen a lot rougher debuts given kinder receptions here.

Positives:

- clean video
- good framing
- crisp sound
- Telegenic, non-fidggitey host
- solid eye contact

suggestions:

- quicker cuts (unless you have a music bed, graphics or a hyperactive host any pause is magnified)
- define your own style and trust it...if you are better at speaking off the cuff don't script it.(a lot of folk who do their own home grown 'cast wing it and really need an editor or a 2nd take)
- be wary of the disembodied hands. it's disconcerting to see a boardgame play itself or a player engaging phantoms.

I'd recommend either video or screenshots of people playing with voiceover to illustrate the ideal or nominal number of players while briefly explaining gameplay. (additionally, you could film it and be "cute" breaking the 4th wall occasionally, but that might distract from the explanation and should be used sparingly.)

all around a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
RoC1909 wrote:
Ah....Now I see were my yearly donation goes....To furnishing a nice house!
Seriously, whose house is that?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
But truthfully, this kind of talent isn't learned, it's natural. And IMHO, I'm not feeling it.

Really? Do you troll Tom Vasel's videos with similar comments? How about UndeadViking? Drakkenstrike? Seems a bit misogynistic to me.

I think she was trying too hard?

I agree with the trying too hard. It seemed a bit like she was reading a script. I believe, even for something with experience, due to their technical nature, board games would be very tough to sound casual about. Having said that, all the cutting around of sentences and sweeping camera shots makes developing any sense of flow really difficult. It makes it almost "infomercial" like.

I think the reason why no one comments on the other reviewers is because of a really simple reason. They are totally being themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now a Major General
United States
38.978164N 76.486881W
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    It's a first episode guys, lighten up. Go watch the first episode of Law & Order -- it's pretty rough. Consider what that's turned into.

Quote:
It seemed a bit like she was reading a script.

A bit?

I'm more concerned about the direction than the MC. She seemed handcuffed, and nervous because of it. Staying on script isn't going to produce "fun". Let her interview someone unscripted, then skim off the best five minutes for the video. She'll get her sea legs and you'll get better footage.

Quote:
I believe, even for something with experience, due to their technical nature, board games would be very tough to sound casual about.

Nah. We all do it in our living rooms all the time. Get a shot of Gin in her and and let her be casual. She'll be fine.

I'll agree with what others are saying though -- this would be better focusing on news, events or players in the industry. Leave the gameplay descriptions to others.

For God's sake don't focus on rules. Focus on fun. Describe the spirit of the game instead of the minutia.

We'll be seeing this running at the local GameStop soon, right?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally liked her German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was great and will appeal to a broad audience.

Complisult alert:

Don't fudge lines about rules. You got one pseudo wrong. There was a line about those players with "military cards" check the military outcome. All players check military, not just those with cards (remember certain wonders can have military).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
Few things that wasn't right for me in this video.

1) The over rehearsed text. It sounded to me like one monotone sound with no actual feeling towards the game. When you watch other video reviewers, then you hear boredom, excitement, contempt or other feelings toward a game, but I felt no such things here. Sure, it did look good though.

2) Doing a video review to a games that actually have no need for them is kinda like wasting your time. Why not review games people haven't heard of or are not already been reviewed by 100 or so people.
While I'm already on that topic, why do reviews in the first place? We have many many video reviewers who all do amazing job at it and they have had many years practice at it.
Why not just go over some newer games, rpg, video games and in short, under the minute even, not doing any depth review, just casually going over new games.
When I read the title, I thought the show is going to be something more related to actually BGG site. BGG is a online site after all, so why not make one show into segments.
a) News, new games, events etc... about 3-4 minutes
b) Talk about few new games (board, video, rpg)....5-6 minutes
c) Something related to the actual sites (geek sites). New ideas, new features...whatever...3-4 minutes
d) Answering user questions about what ever and to end a show, ask one question as well, like "What game you secretly want to play, but don't dare to say so". Just to keep people involved more...

Ok, just few things that popped to my mind. Hope you can find something useful out of all that mess.
And please do not forget foreign part of BGG users as well. Not all here are from US!

Raiko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:

Perhaps you could just hire Scott Nicholson to be your host. With the beard, he's just as cute.

Scott could record a public service advert showing us how to clean our cutlery and I'd watch it.

Also, I can't help it but 1'37" reminds me of....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now a Major General
United States
38.978164N 76.486881W
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
binraix wrote:
Why not review games people haven't heard of or are not already been reviewed by 100 or so people.

That's a good question. Why would BGG review some games, but not others?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really admire people who are willing to put themselves out there on video in front of the world--especially a hypervigilant group like boardgame geeks. So kudos to Jess and the BGG team for trying this out.

As for me, personally, I'd prefer something...well...geekier-looking and geekier-sounding than what I saw. There's already a ton of rulesplanation videos out there.

In terms of content, BGG has access (because of its profile and connections) to designers, game publishers, and behind-the-scenes info that mere peons like ourselves would love to see and hear more about. Why not leverage that? Fledgeling designers and publishers would probably appear for free to discuss their games just for the exposure.

Or (this is just off the top of my head, y'understand) what about a mock debate between a Eurogamer and an Ameritrash lover, or a Knizia-lover and a Knizia-hater? Or some kind of faceoff between rival gaming groups--you know, each one nominates a 'champion' and the champions come together to play a game.

All I'm saying is that the world doesn't need another 'how-to' gaming video. BGG should play to its strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:
Few things that wasn't right for me in this video.

1) The over rehearsed text. It sounded to me like one monotone sound with no actual feeling towards the game. When you watch other video reviewers, then you hear boredom, excitement, contempt or other feelings toward a game, but I felt no such things here. Sure, it did look good though.

2) Doing a video review to a games that actually have no need for them is kinda like wasting your time. Why not review games people haven't heard of or are not already been reviewed by 100 or so people.
While I'm already on that topic, why do reviews in the first place? We have many many video reviewers who all do amazing job at it and they have had many years practice at it.
Why not just go over some newer games, rpg, video games and in short, under the minute even, not doing any depth review, just casually going over new games.
When I read the title, I thought the show is going to be something more related to actually BGG site. BGG is a online site after all, so why not make one show into segments.
a) News, new games, events etc... about 3-4 minutes
b) Talk about few new games (board, video, rpg)....5-6 minutes
c) Something related to the actual sites (geek sites). New ideas, new features...whatever...3-4 minutes
d) Answering user questions about what ever and to end a show, ask one question as well, like "What game you secretly want to play, but don't dare to say so". Just to keep people involved more...

Ok, just few things that popped to my mind. Hope you can find something useful out of all that mess.
And please do not forget foreign part of BGG users as well. Not all here are from US!

Raiko

Great ideas and input, Raiko. I agree. Video reviews should be done for those games that do not have them, or are "hidden gems" in the popularity/hotness ranks.

I also think that interviews with designers, PNPers, users, FLGS owners, admins, etc. would be interesting to all of us here on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I like it!
And I also like whoever's house that is.
And whoever the interior decorator was.

Agreed - I have one of those red blown glass vases in the background, and I wish I knew more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legolas_Katarn wrote:
Quote:
Especially one that is so "rehearsed"? I mean, you can almost hear the scrolling of the auto-queue.
I agree with that
I don't usually watch videos on the internet, particularly on this site, simply because I don't want to hear "and...um..." 3000 times. It's like listening to a call-in radio show--the caller can't get their thought out efficiently.

If this is rehearsed (I surely haven't watched it) it can only be an improvement over current videos.

But, without a transcript to read, I don't ever watch these things anyway.

So... if it IS rehearsed and has a script, maybe the text can be released with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
tiberiusdw wrote:
Or (this is just off the top of my head, y'understand) what about a mock debate between a Eurogamer and an Ameritrash lover, or a Knizia-lover and a Knizia-hater? Or some kind of faceoff between rival gaming groups--you know, each one nominates a 'champion' and the champions come together to play a game.

Cage-fight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed it fine. Nice production value.
MY suggestion would be let Jess's personality flow a bit and the show form around its MC in this case Jess. People will tune in and feel comfortable if the "show" is relaxed and the natural personality of its host comes through.
G4 made it their standard. The Shows always felt like its host I think Jess would do fantastic being herself and taking control.
Thanks BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan McKinley Ross
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome!

Congratulations on a beautiful and entertaining first episode. Well done.

Thank you for including Qwirkle in this video. I'm glad Jess showed the appropriate enthusiasm level for when you score a Qwirkle! Yes, there's a small mistake in the explanation of the rules. You can add the yellow tiles in the way that is described as illegal. See example E in the instructions.

I'm even more excited about playing the 7 Wonders Leaders expansion now that I've seen how it works.

I appreciate the light tone of this episode. I think you did a great job.

(I loved the disembodied hands. It reminded me of Alton Brown.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
heya Aldie

TV Geek is a great idea. Good stuff thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the show, thumbs-up from Florence, Italy!

She seemed a tad nervous, but, hey, there's a first time for everyone right?

Seriously guys, thanks again, nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.