Subject: Announcing - "All Things Geek" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And as to all the technical whinging on this thread ... take what you like but clearly a lot of people thought it was an audition and they could do better.

The product was great and a very good place to build on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, clearly it was a first-attempt, so calling it an "audition" is not inaccurate. There are a lot of good things to be said for the set, lighting, camera work, editing and other technical parts of the video: if the choice of content was (by Jess' admission) "safe", it served as a good way for them to decide what worked and what didn't about the package as a whole.

Given the access and resources BGG has, it speaks of good things to come. I'll be at Essen so I'll definitely be interested to see the set up for the interviews that they're planning, and to see how that translates to a final product when I get back home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fash
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feels a bit GameStop TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dicker
United Kingdom
Thornbury near Bristol
flag msg tools
I think this is a great extra resource for people who find reading rule books tedious. Maybe it's not aimed at the really clever gamers but is good for those starting out. I welcome it. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed it. thumbsup

But she has metal growing on her face.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
Broad, powerful muscles move beneath this massive bear's brown fur, promising both speed and lethal force.
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it a lot, will be interesting to see this evolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
God Save the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Super good job. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good. I'd watch another.

Everyone's a critic... and I'm one of everyone(?!), so here goes:

The house is nice & interesting. I like the table. It is a nice background for the close ups of the cards.

While the game shelves behind her are cool. I'd move the camera, the table, and her out 5-10 feet, so they'd be a little softer and less distracting.

She's easy enough on the eyes. Maybe a little nervous. She'll get better. Considering the hours everyone spent on this, I'd do another take if the patter of a sentence feels awkward -- I know it's easy to say something like this when you're not there the day of the shoot.

At 9:55, "...especially when your opponents aren't paying you for resources" (she gives a look), you're on to what could really add a lot of life to this. Her personality & good natured frustration keep it from being dry. Besides just the drafting mechanics, and the points she can score, let's see her concern about the cards she's about to pass her neighbor who really needs a science, or how stoked she'll be to build a card for free by chaining. What does it feel like to win? Or lose? A lot of people play this multiple times in one sitting. What gives it that "one more time" factor?

Things like the meeple bracelet passing cards gets a lot of attention as you can see by the posts here, and just make it more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
How about some "truth in advertising" with calling this: "Almost All Things Geek"; since you obviously aren't going to 'cover' "War Games"? It looks on being the 'highlighting' of ONLY the most *popular* kind, like as "if" they required further "attention whoring" on their behalf? Well, you do KNOW your 'intended audience' much better than anyone else, and WE also know that it doesn't include "us", for the most part(s).
shake

EDIT: I shan't expect to PURVIEW another of these again, EVAH! and how would I *plonk* these announcement(s) about such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie is prettier than I had imagined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rivera
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
LUCHADOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
How about some "truth in advertising" with calling this: "Almost All Things Geek"; since you obviously aren't going to 'cover' "War Games"? It looks on being the 'highlighting' of ONLY the most *popular* kind, like as "if" they required further "attention whoring" on their behalf? Well, you do KNOW your 'intended audience' much better than anyone else, and WE also know that it doesn't include "us", for the most part(s).
shake

EDIT: I shan't expect to PURVIEW another of these again, EVAH! and how would I *plonk* these announcement(s) about such?

Good point if war games aren't covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gérard Kraus
Luxembourg
Kayl
Luxemburg
flag msg tools
Sci-Fan: Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Radio (Radio ARA)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an overall positive impression of this. I generally like the presentation and there is a really nice touch of professionalism about this (Nothing like knowing how to frame a shot).
And you know there's a but, and I hope this comes off sounding like constructive criticism:
Do we really need another vid-cast showing us how games work? What about a news-show. I 'only' follow Tom Vasel, Calandale, Undead Viking and Drakkenstrike's reviews, and other 'how to's are constantly being uploaded. An illustrated news segment like The Spiel or Dice Tower's news segments but with pictures, interviews etc. would be far more distinct in the wealth of Game info out there.
I see the format as being pretty much up to interpretation still, so best wishes on that front.

The other thing that tickled an itch was the editing and movement: there was just a little too much of it.
Camera movement is really hard to make look good without expensive, or inventive, equipment. Here, there was just a little too much shaking, and or accompanying tilt distracting from the overall very cool 12 minutes or so.
To the first point here, just because you can doesn't mean you should use x setups. I remember our production instructor at film school making a long speech about that.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this moves forward and takes its rightful place in the geekosphere.

Break a leg,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
shake

GROGnads, perhaps you should give them a CHANCE to cover wargames before you diss it? Hard to know what they are or aren't going to cover from ONE episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
slaqr wrote:
GROGnads, perhaps you should give them a CHANCE to cover wargames before you diss it? Hard to know what they are or aren't going to cover from ONE episode.
robot oh, I can already TELL what they wouldn't 'cover' for these, since it's obvious to myself, while YOU *speculate* on that quite some then, as I won't. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
"The GROGnads Wargame Review Show." That, I would pay to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALREADY Amazing! Lissa
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:

Me too.. 1.0

Oh wait I give him that just to read his comments I will pay $$ to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:

It would have to be silent film style, with title slides to add narrative to the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:

It would have to be silent film style, with title slides to add narrative to the action.

Only it'd have to be in COLOR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever tried to teach yourself how to speak a language? Basically, there are 80 bajillion "Level 1 Spanish" books, and considerably fewer Level 2 books, fewer still for Level 3, etc. So the Language industry is basically advertising attrition in giant, bold letters. All this despite language forums overflowing with people who want to purchase (at worst nonexistent, at best difficult to find) more advanced books and study materials.

I guess what I'm saying is, please listen to Scott Nicholson, and figure out who you're doing these for. There are a ton of "Level 1 Spanish"-equivalent videos/podcasts already in the boardgame world, and I (personally) don't really have the time or energy to watch another one. I can *make time* for a Level 3 podcast.

{/$.02}

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the video. I liked the presentation. I think some more camera time will help with the relaxation/comfort level. Constructive (I hope) criticisms:

1) As mentioned, it feels a bit too scripted.
2) As GROGnads so eloquently put, it isn't really "All Things Geek"
3) Too much panning around. A few times I felt like I was in a little bubble floating around the room while somebody was talking to me about games.

I would like to see a broader spectrum of content; I realize this is the first episode, but it would have been a good opportunity to get good feedback on several different areas rather than a few popular titles. I think with the "All Things Geek" title, there's room to branch out.

Looking forward to more episodes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone! We appreciate all the criticism, praise, comments and ideas. As Jess mentions in her post here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7551643#7551643 we wanted to stick with a simple idea to get the camera, jib & dolly shots, sound, lighting, and Jess all working together.

Lincoln can chime in and say exactly how many hours - but I think it took about 20 hours to shoot all the video - and then another 60 to put it all together with the sound, music, and graphics. We want to provide a different "look" than other videos - and I think we accomplished that.

We have plans for some different kinds of shows and topics than just "rules explanations" so please stick with us and keep watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG? It's not a Geek Do production?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
BGG? It's not a Geek Do production?

No - we killed Geekdo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Deems
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting videos = Robert Florence as host. THIS is how it is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmbmb
the1jugg wrote:
I love the idea of making a "geek news" type show (which is where this seemed to be headed at first), like Destructoid but with a wider "geek" focus.

Upcoming games, convention news, interviews... I'm salivating at the thought of it.

Just a few ideas. Not that you asked.

thanks,

Brian

Thanks for the feedback Brian. You've gotten what we are hoping to do right away. We are looking to do a news magazine show that covers exactly the kind of topics you mentioned. Look for something from us after Essen Spiel 2011.

Thanks again,

Lincoln
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.