Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I do think hot girls with nose rings are pretty under-represented here on the geek. I'm all for it.

Because only "hot girls" are the females that matter and have value to BGG males????

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I do think hot girls with nose rings are pretty under-represented here on the geek. I'm all for it.

Because only "hot girls" are the females that matter and have value to BGG males????

shake

Are we talking videocasts or podcasts? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:

shake

Of course not, which is why I didn't say that. Wasn't looking to offend anybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:
So - to summarize - ties are unprofessional and permanent facial jewelry should at least be accepted.

Can't quite tell if you're joking or not. Looked for the emoticon, but I don't see one.

Why would I joke about a sickness society has with personal vanity and judging others by standards they hold for themselves in matters of appearance?

So many significant hardworkers are judged daily by their appearance.

Maybe this helps:

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
okiedokie wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
Hey guys, I like facial piercings, but they are a wee bit distracting and they are not professional.

**** Narrow-Minded Intolerant Old-Fogey Alert ***

So saying I like 'em but they are not professional makes me intolerant? Really? I don't think so.

Actually, Donald, I'm on your side (see my comments above yours) I was just running up a red flag for the others around here that bemoan the fact that there are some folks who think piercings might not be appropriate in all cases.

You and I are in the same boat, rowing the same direction (ie. liking piercings but thinking they are distracting and not professional)

We realize that times change and the definition of what is professional slowly changes (Powdered wigs are no longer required in many professions)
but I think it's funny that some folks will raise a bluster and cry against our 'intolerance' rather than having common decency and allowing us to politely express our opinion in a civil forum (as well as patiently waiting for us, and our old dying ways, to die of natural causes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
okiedokie wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
Hey guys, I like facial piercings, but they are a wee bit distracting and they are not professional.

**** Narrow-Minded Intolerant Old-Fogey Alert ***

So saying I like 'em but they are not professional makes me intolerant? Really? I don't think so.

Actually, Donald, I'm on your side (see my comments above yours) I was just running up a red flag for the others around here that bemoan the fact that there are some folks who think piercings might not be appropriate in all cases.

You and I are in the same boat, rowing the same direction (ie. liking piercings but thinking they are distracting and not professional)

We realize that times change and the definition of what is professional slowly changes (Powdered wigs are no longer required in many professions)
but I think it's funny that some folks will raise a bluster and cry against our 'intolerance' rather than having common decency and allowing us to politely express our opinion in a civil forum (as well as patiently waiting for us, and our old dying ways, to die of natural causes)

And also, by the time the tattooed and pierced generations become CEOs, senators, college professors, Chairpersons of the Board, etc., we will all be more accustomed to seeing piercings and visible tattoos in professional settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:

shake

Of course not, which is why I didn't say that. Wasn't looking to offend anybody.

I'm not offended and I didn't mean to pick on you. I was just blowing off some steam, that's all. It's not you, it's me, ok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
And also, by the time the tattooed and pierced generations become CEOs, senators, college professors, Chairpersons of the Board, etc., we will all be more accustomed to seeing piercings and visible tattoos in professional settings.

I'm hoping for exactly that, and then it will become totally unhip to do it right about the time my kids are of the age to make that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

I'm hoping for exactly that, and then it will become totally unhip to do it right about the time my kids are of the age to make that decision.

Well, the fact that they are already parents is sending things in that direction as effectively as anything else...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:

We've already gone through entire generations of people with piercings and tattoo's. They aren't a new phenomena. I've seen them since the 80's, which is already going on to 30 years. These youngin's like to think they are being fashion forward, but really they're just rehashing what we already lived through. Yesterdays tattooed and pierced up youth, either A, took out the metal and covered up the tats to get a job in the professional sector, or B, STILL work in a bar, playing in a two-bit band, or some other non-professional career.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

We've already gone through entire generations of people with piercings and tattoo's. They aren't a new phenomena. I've seen them since the 80's, which is already going on to 30 years. These youngin's like to think they are being fashion forward, but really they're just rehashing what we already lived through.

I think tats went:
? to 1960s: Sailors
1960s to 1970s: Sailors and bikers
1970s to 1990s: Sailors and bikers and punks
1990s to present: Everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
Why would I joke about a sickness society has with personal vanity and judging others by standards they hold for themselves in matters of appearance?

So many significant hardworkers are judged daily by their appearance.

Maybe this helps:

yuk

, Yeah, that helps.
I work at a large company where all the executives, sales, & other business guys wear suits & ties. I wear shorts, sandals, & a Hawaiian shirt almost every day, and am no doubt seen as "unprofessional", but all that matters to my boss is the work I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

We've already gone through entire generations of people with piercings and tattoo's. They aren't a new phenomena. I've seen them since the 80's, which is already going on to 30 years. These youngin's like to think they are being fashion forward, but really they're just rehashing what we already lived through. Yesterdays tattooed and pierced up youth, either A, took out the metal and covered up the tats to get a job in the professional sector, or B, STILL work in a bar, playing in a two-bit band, or some other non-professional career.

I know, and your "A" & "B" scenarios are still in effect today. I am talking about when we get to the point where they don't take out the metal or cover up the tattoos to get/have jobs in the professional sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falko Sieverding
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasted Ressources in my opinion, where is the Downvote button?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Patterson
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me say that this is one of the best productions I've seen put towards boardgames. There are some things that could help better your production.

Just a few points to help you with this video production:

--Be careful when you film directly in front of windows especially when you are using lights. The glare/reflection can be distracting. Noticeable at 8:25 and other spots, especially when Jess is the focal point and the reflection of the light is right behind her head.

--It would appear that Jess is reading off of cards when she is close in focus such as 0:57. While this may help her, it seems to be less personal. Perhaps if there were just main points written on some paper to help jog her with her "script" that way she can add some personality to her review.

--Also try to keep the focus (camera) on Jess. This is very noticeable at 4:53. She is definitely out of focus. To me this too was distracting. Perhaps it was only distracting because the boardgames were a little more in focus.

--Lastly try to do a little more of a transition between games. Even if its a fade to black and fade in from black. It doesn't have to be long either, 3-5 seconds would suffice. Just something to let me know that we are moving on. This was less noticeable than some of the other things, but I think it would help improve your videos.

--I should note that I really liked the subtitles that let me know what game Jess was talking about. Perhaps though this should be left up a bit longer. This would mean it would take a little more planning in your sequence of shots to make sure everything was in frame, but I think you could handle it.

--I did like the Crane Jib Boom that was used at 1:09 and other places, but I think you need to have a little more practice with it. It should be smooth, however, it was a tad on the shaky side.

--Moreover, try not to get giddy over a particular shot that looks really cool. Sometimes when we get a new piece of equipment we want to use it as much as possible. If I may suggest just using it once or twice in total for the whole duration of your video.

--I couldn't decide if you were trying to dolly from right to left or if it was steadicam (at 1:26). Personally, I'm leaning more towards dolly. Here again I would suggest to be careful as I shouldn't see the camera shaking.

All in all, I think its a well done production. It was clear to me that filming lasted all day long. At the start of the video it is bright outside and by the end it is dark outside. I hope this helps you with some of your videos in the future. Good luck with your future videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sally Kellenberger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
It seemed a little too.....American to me.

Though that may have been her teeth. I'm British so the quality of them freaked me out a bit... whistle

This made me laugh out loud!!

I really enjoyed the video...Jess was great...the house is amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing more of her on the Ustream @ Essen, I have to sadly conclude that Chapel may be right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
After seeing more of her on the Ustream @ Essen, I have to sadly conclude that Chapel may be right.

People considering a tattoo should check out some elderly people with tats. They can hope against hope that they'll never have wrinkles but they should check out their future appearance before they make the decision.

Piercings open pathways for bacteria past the skin's defenses. One of my former students, while still in high school, had several ear rings in one ear. It became infected and part of the ear had to be removed (top part, not the ear lobe.).

You want to make an impression? Forget the tats and exta holes. Try a better personality! You'll stand out from the jerks, it ages well and doesn't cause infections!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
MWChapel wrote:
However, this might come off as a little over hypercritical, but we might as well get this out early and make for more of a successful showing.

The talent was a bit rough.

Have you sampled smaller videos on Youtube? Lot worse IMHO. It's fine for a first small market "show", and I think the most important aspect is that the folks doing it have a passion for the hobby moreso than polish --it takes that kind of love to keep providing it, and polish does come with experience and effort.

Having said that, I'm going to be a total !@#$ing hypocrite and join you in being hypercritical by pointing out something I would like to see --criticisms, when fair. For example, the card quality in Seven Wonders was not mentioned and yet was discussed at great length here as an issue.

I'd like a Geek show to at least decide what kind of content they will provide so I know when I can't rely on them (for example, that's a glaring omission, again IMHO, and tells me to limit my expectations on how useful they will be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie F III
United States
North Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad video for the first episode. They'll work out all the kinks and revamp to what they think will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.