Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doobermite
United States
East Fallowfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been interested in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting news if true! Link?

Edit: I couldn't find it on appshopper, but did find it on iTunes.

What a huge release! $9.99 for those curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imperial/id382679047?uo=4&mt=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/imperial/id382679047?uo=4&mt=...

Voilà!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this work? is it single player against AI, or multi-player via Internet?

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
How does this work? is it single player against AI, or multi-player via Internet?

The screenshots show what looks like a 2-player game, but it is very unclear. I'm not sure what they were thinking, releasing a $10 game with not even a description beyond the name and publisher of the game. If it's vs AI it would be very interesting to me. But I'm not sure I want to bet $10 to find out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. There is zero information on their website, on the iTunes store, etc. No press release here. I'll wait for a review or comment, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To those that know more about computers, does the file size indicate anything about the game? It's only 4.1 MB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the game is not functional yet. The AI does not work, and there are no rules explained anywhere. It seems like half way through coding, the release date came along, so they just put up whatever they had so far.

It seems like you could use it for pass-n-play with a few friends, if you know the rules. It needs an update...badly!

:angry:For $9.99 I feel ripped so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alanwu alanwu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Too expensive:-S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
East Fallowfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. When it's ready I'll definitely get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlier64 wrote:
the game is not functional yet. The AI does not work, and there are no rules explained anywhere. It seems like half way through coding, the release date came along, so they just put up whatever they had so far.

It seems like you could use it for pass-n-play with a few friends, if you know the rules. It needs an update...badly!

angryFor $9.99 I feel ripped so far.

Thanks for taking the bullet, have some geek gold to ease the pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm the developer of this game. This is really embarrassing - the version out there now is nearly a year old - it was put up for early beta, but was accidentally set live without my knowledge. So yes, it's a bit broken, and I apologize for that. But never fear, an update is being submitted to the appstore today, so just be patient for the approval to go through (might take up to two weeks worst case).
The game is designed for pass to play, or put on the table between the players. There is no online multiplayer yet - this will be added in the future unless sales / reviews flop. (I know this blunder is hurting reviews already, hopefully it won't kill the project - I just love Imperial and want it to succeed!).
As for AI, it is missing in the version out there now, but will come in this update. Mind you - an AI is not a replacement for a human in games like these - but can be useful for filling in if you don't have enough players (yes, single player is possible, but probably not interesting).
I'll be happy to answer any other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the "official" version, licensed or perhaps endorsed by either the the designer or publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, it's the official one, developed in cooperation with both the (brilliant) designer and the publisher. However, this premature release was entirely my fault, so don't blame them for that.
As for number of players - you can play from 3 to 6 players just like the boardgame, but you may substitute humans with AI players if you don't have enough people (so single player is possible). If you've tried the boardgame you'll know that a 3 player game feels quite different from a 5 player game etc, because of the different amounts of influence each player will have over each of the six countries in the game.
With your support I'm hoping to be allowed to continue with developing the 2030 version, online multiplayer, and more polish, so your patience while waiting for the update is much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Javelin.

Does this support the new (2030) rules?

Does it support with or without investor card?

What about swiss bank?

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Currently it supports the original investor card rules only.
Swiss bank etc will be supported in a future update (truth be told, I haven't been able to get hold of a 2030 set here in Malaysia, but it's on top of my xmas wish list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Just got it and look forward to the AI. Is is coutnry specific or generic?

Where can i get a copy of the rules, can't find any online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
See the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_(board_game)
It has a link to the rules at the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
As for the AI - in Imperial a player is not a country. Ownership is fluid , and the AI will try to play in his own self interest, not necessarily in the country's interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garvoid wrote:
Where can i get a copy of the rules, can't find any online

You can also find a PDF of the rules on the Rio Grande Games website. Link: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_115_gameRule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeeze new players are going to be scratching their head with this one. Explaining the rules to new players will be quite a task.

Looking forward to getting a copy - will be waiting for the update however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
$10 seems a relatively high price for an app with no online multiplayer capability and from an unknown developer.

Also, even the developer says "single player is possible, but probably not interesting" in a previous post.

I fear this one may struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very excited upon the release of this app. It's a game I'm interested in that I have never played. I understand it is a gamer's game, and takes a long time to play in real life. Perfect for an iPad game!

Every piece of news since then has been pretty disheartening. Sounds like the designer isn't putting a lot of faith into the AI ("Mind you - an AI is not a replacement for a human in games like these") and no online multiplayer. And posting a link to the rules rather than saying, "We have a great interactive tutorial".... oh well.

I see no reason to buy a game as a pass and play when I can just play the real thing. I'm not in the car/airplane/tent/train THAT much...

There's a ready audience here, but I'm afraid the designer is missing the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
There will be a how to play guide in the update, both for new players, but also to show Imperial players how to use the interface. The gentleman who asked for the rules did not indicate he had bought the ipad version, so I couldn't exactly refer him to the tutorial in the app.
As for online multiplayer, that is planned, but will use the asynchronous multiplayer features in iOS 5, which is not out quite yet, so you'll have to wait a bit longer for that. And Chris - of _course_ you should buy the real thing - it's a great game My favourite boardgame used to be Diplomacy - but after a few games, I had no friends left... if you've played it you might know what I mean! Imperial is great because even a total disaster in warfare, or the untimely backstabbing and breaking of an alliance does not mean you're out of the game - you can change your position and strategy and still be very much in the game. It's the game in my collection that gets the most play, and one of the few that stays interesting even if played repeatedly with the same group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.