Subject: iPad app available! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
I did buy it. Where are the rules in the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Update is now live at the appstore and looks good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, the update is live! If you come across any bugs, or have suggestions, please send me at support@javelin.com.my .
The how to play is in the app from this update, and can also be found at http://javelin.com.my/imperial.html
Any errata or improvement suggestions to the manual are also most welcome, on the same address. Any web designers who could make it look good and with relevant screenshots would also be appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lingwall
United States
Blue Springs
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on how hard the AI is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
There's still no support for playing without the Investor Card and without the Swiss Banker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
There's still no support for playing without the Investor Card and without the Swiss Banker.

Where would I find the rules for this? I've never tried those options myself, thus I haven't implemented it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variant: Without investor card

This variation results in fewer changes in the
control of governments.

Remove the investor card from game. Instead of
using the investor card, each player can invest
in a nation immediately after that nation takes
its turn.

For example:
After China takes its turn, its owner can invest
in China. Then all the other players can invest in
China, starting with the player to the left of the
owner of China and continuing clockwise around
the table. After that India takes its turn.

In addition to this procedure, players owning a
Swiss Bank can invest once in any nation they
wish.

On the rondel space Investor, only the interests
are paid. Passing through that space no longer
has any special consequence.

If no bonds were chosen for a nation at the
beginning of the game, bonds can be chosen for
this nation directly after the previous nation‘s
turn. The player controlling the government of
the previous nation is the first to invest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiss Bank:

If a player does not control any government, he
gets a Swiss Bank instead. Ownership of a Swiss
Bank continues as long as the player does not
control a nation. If he takes over a government
again, he has to return the Swiss Bank.
The owner of a Swiss Bank may force nations
on the rondel not to pass over Investor if its
government intends to do so. However, this can
only be done if the treasury of that nation has
sufficient money to pay out all interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Note specifically that when playing without the Swiss bank and without the Investor Card, that a player that controls no country may still invest in any country between country operations, but they may not force a country to stop at Investor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
An option to confirm/undo your selection before the end of your turn would be amazing. Quite a number of times I've had the wrong selection register on the rondell or have my armies go into the wrong territory and those can be a huge gamebreakers. Anyways Imperial is my favorite game and huge thanks for giving me another avenue for playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Also having to manually move my armies through each one of my home territories in order to get it to the other side can be a bit annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I'll try to implement those options for the next update, although having the swiss banker force someone to stop on investor sounds like it'll be difficult to implement in asynchronous multiplayer. Player A clicks import passing investor, and must wait for all other players with swiss bank to decline interrupting him before he can actually proceed with his move.
Same with the no investor card - after Player A has finished his Russia move, Player B can't do his Austria turn before all other players have declined to interrupt the game and invest.
Both these interruptions are not a problem when everyone is sitting around the board, but in a computer version it doesn't sound ideal. Any good ideas on how to handle this?

Sheldon: Confirm / undo would be nice, I agree, but would take some major changes to the code to do at this point. That's why I've implemented an autosave - before every country's turn, the game will save, so you can jump back if a mistake was made.
I'll look into implementing automatic railing so you can drag directly to the destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you handling the player with no flag being able to invest at this time? I assume the swiss bank and non-investor card stuff would be similar.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
javelinapps wrote:
Both these interruptions are not a problem when everyone is sitting around the board, but in a computer version it doesn't sound ideal. Any good ideas on how to handle this?

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but is there anything ideal about playing async to begin with? I agree that interrupts would drag out async, and in some games (the bomb mechanic in Tichu for example) they can render the game near unplayable. But Async by its very nature stretches out the time and steps necessary to play a given game, and yet succeeds because some players not only tolerate it, but would rather play that way than not all.

...or let me rephrase that:

Because there's nothing ideal about the way async stretches out games in the first place, doesn't that make it ok to do whatever is necessary to play async?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Just downloaded the app and the sound effects play even when the iPad sound is fully muted? Help - tried to play for first time while wife was sleeping. Needless to say, when all the sound effects kicked in...whistle

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlier64 wrote:
It needs an update...badly!

:angry:For $9.99 I feel ripped so far.

UPDATED! yeah! AI works, and there is a link to rules. Yes!
It looks great.

Now a tutorial for those who don't know how to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jlingwal wrote:
Any word on how hard the AI is?

Any feedback would be very useful; I'm still on the fence on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Seifert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it, and pretty disappointed. Great game (I used to own the physical version), but very buggy app. Frequent crashes and currently stuck in a situation where the game is essentially frozen. Ipad will have to be re-booted in order to start a new game.

Glad the dev is here and paying attention. Hopefully he will issue another update soon addressing these problems, and the lack of a tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sorry to hear about your crashes. Are you aware you can double tap the home button, then press and hold the game icon, then press the red marker the appears, to kill an app that is frozen? I've never encountered having to reboot the ipad for any app.
"Adressing these problems" is not very helpful though - I need to know what happened prior to the crash so that I may recreate the problem here and fix it. Please email me the details on support@javelin.com.my
I'm not experiencing crashes here, although if you're running a lot of applications in the background, the ipad may run low on memory, which causes it to kill/crash the active app. Again, double tap the home button to see what else is running.
I'll keep posting updates with bugfixes and new features, stay tuned.
What do people mean when they want a tutorial? Really the best way to learn the game is to read the how to play, and also the board game rules (see wikipedia). Are you looking for more info on how the interface works, or is it actually to learn Imperial itself? Or to learn how to win the game, how to play a certain country or what exactly? Should it be a manual or a youtube walkthrough or an in game thing with popups telling you where to tap and such?
Obviously, an in-game tutorial will require a lot of coding (and therefore time) and would have to be posted in an update (and I should probably work on squashing bugs, and the requested variants, and multiplayer etc), while I could post a written guide on the web sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This:

"an in game thing with popups telling you where to tap and such"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
played 6 player game with 5 AI

-pressed maneuver (5oclock) on rondel, my peice jumped to taxation
-game keeps crashing to desktop when I complete transaction of buying a bond

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
FInally finished a game, it said I won with 96 point even though the Ai playr #4 has 98 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
More bugs being reported in the iOS Board Game thread - hope the developer picks them all up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javelin apps
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Because of the problems and bad reception of the game, the publisher has decided to pull the app from the appstore.
I will however work on providing updates to fix the bugs that have been reported. Note that you should report your problems to support@javelin.com.my.
I'm sorry about all this. I worked months on this project, only to screw up with this botched launch.
But it should not be too late to get a refund - see http://www.labnol.org/software/itunes-app-store-refunds/1383... for how to proceed.
For those who keep it, I'll try to get updates out to you as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the 1.11 version in a regular app update ...

When, however, I search for either "Imperial" or "Javelin" in the US app store, I get no hits. Is this what you were expecting to happen..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.