Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the thread here, I've drawn up a new Personal Goals variant in which I've tried to make the Goals as Personal as possible.

When you draw a Goal, follow these instructions instead of the ones on the card.

1) Note the resource on the Card. Consult the chart given here (Excel file, Google Docs). This is your actual goal.
--- Note that the spreadsheet has two worksheets: One named "Goals", sorted by Resource, and one named "People", sorted by character. In a real game, a player will only have a card listing the Goals for that character.

2) Reveal Personal Goals as soon as their criteria are met.
3) Shuffle 1 YANAC into the Loyalty Deck and draw a new Loyalty Card.
4) POST SLEEPER: If the new card drawn is a Personal Goal, reveal it, discard it, and follow step 2 again.
5) POST SLEEPER: If a Cylon reveals, also reveal and discard any Personal Goals. He then follows steps 2 and 3 and gives this new Loyalty to another player as per usual.

These were designed to be slightly less harmful than the loss of an Action as originally designed.
Therefore, no Action is required but bad things will happen, keeping the slight human disadvantage.

You will not receive any Goals after the Sleeper phase.

Games are rarely lost by Food. Most once-per-game Goals are in this section in the unfortunate circumstance of having received them in sleeper.

Fuel Goals are generally more difficult to complete. Population and Morale are mixed. I'm not sure why I did this. Should I put the more difficult ones in a different resource?

I've tried to keep it thematic where possible, but not always. Ditto with balance.

I whipped up the Goals fairly quickly, so if they don't work for whatever reason, please let me know. Or if one seems strange, I will justify it. I'm perfectly willing to change them, or the rules of this variant.

Also note that this is tailored specifically for Kobol, Pegasus, and Cylon Fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice ideas. What I don't like is the instant-reveal of some of these goals when criteria is met. The design objective of Personal Goals was seemingly to make humans do weird things so you don't know if they're cylons or trying to complete a personal goal. But with getting to reveal personal goals for free once the suspicious activity is done, it removes all paranoia.

A look at Roslin's goals: With "Choose a crisis without a jump icon", right after she does that, she reveals her goal, so the other players don't have to wonder "why did she play one without a jump icon"? With "There are 7 or more Quorum Cards", it's a lot better because while Roslin (or the President) builds up and hoards the Quorum hand, players have to keep wondering why Roslin won't play any QCards. It'd be better if all the personal goals were of the "long-term damage" variety.

===================

DTHz has an idea in his Opera House fan expansion where you can spend an action to (selfishly) reveal your "personal goal", or play it as a reaction (which is less harmful) if you cause a negative situation to happen, which is a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was thinking about that instant-reveal thing when I was making them. It's hard to make them fit into their character abilities while making long-term goals. I could try making them somewhat difficult to orchestrate, or I could try to make them all long-term goals, but at the cost of personalization.

Unless we could somehow mark when the trigger occurs, and reveal at a later time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.