4 Posts

Power Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: How do you introduce this game to your gaming group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has it been smooth sailing when introducing this game to your gaming group for the first time ? How did you do it ?

For me personally people seem to have a hard time grasping the type of strategy needed as things don't seem to click on the spot or even after the whole game is over unlike games like stone age.

Am I introducing the game badly ? I've also find it difficult to help them understand since there are so many ways to victory and you could/should go for a few at the same time,

Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've introduced PS to two different groups of gamers. With one group, it caught on and was the hot pick for a few weeks. With the other group it seemed to fall flat. Neither group is more/less game-savvy than the other. I cannot explain why. Unless it was environment (i.e. what was going on around us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
djay16 wrote:
... people seem to have a hard time grasping the type of strategy needed as things don't seem to click on the spot...Help!

For me that's what makes games interesting. If you can work out the strategy needed on the spot the game instantly loses a lot of interest. PS is indeed one of those games where many different approaches are possible. Encourage people to stick with it and you will all be rewarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skinner
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found PS an extremely successful game, very popular with players with many people wanting their own copy. I'd recommend the following:

1) When explaining, don't spend too much time on the department actions. They are long and detailed and best dealt with by the reference card. I quickly demonstrate each one on the board, but nobody will remember them all. The reference card is the main key to this.

2) Stress the humour and the theme. Employees are grey cubes. "Fired" divisional heads retire to become consultants. The text on the event cards is funny; always read it aloud. People who have worked in offices find a lot to laugh at in this game.

3) Stress the fact that losing a divisional head is a good thing. A lot of players try to cling to their departments, but you are better off switching round and losing the divisional heads so that you get free board members or consultants.

4) Likewise, a lot of players seem to have a natural instinct to refuse bribes. Make sure they realise that, apart from the money, turning down a bribe also costs a corruption point (a ninth of a VP) and also an employee.

I find that those strategy points (3&4) help people to enjoy the game. If people cling to titles and division heads, the game can lock up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.