Subject: Interesting variant, or just annoying?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly respected at my games club, not because I'm actually any good at games, but because I remember the rules for lots of games. (Got the theory but not the skillz! shake )

The other week a table of Carcassonne players called me over to settle a dispute.

One of their players was vociferously arguing that you could put multiple meeple in the one connected element - ie if you add a new tile to a city you can always put a new meeple on that city, even if there are already one or more meeple already in the same (contiguous) city.

He "knew how to play very well". He'd been playing Carcassonne for many years with a group of his friends and they had always played this rule. This was a crucial part of the game - it wouldn't be nearly as fun if you changed the game to disallow it. He even pointed to a section of the rules to prove his case. Like this:

That section showed how you scored a city that had multiple meeple in it, which evidently proved that you could place multiple meeple in a city. He didn't particularly appreciate it when I pointed to an earlier section of the rules that explained the very specific situations in which this could happen. He continued grumbling about how this must have been a different version, and that it would be much less fun.

Running my games club again yesterday I happened across the same chap teaching Carcassonne to a group of folks who'd never played before. Noticing one city with four or more meeple of the same colour, I asked whose city it was.
"Oh that's mine", he said with pride, "We're playing with my rules!"

The new players were surprised: "But you're allowed to keep putting meeple in the same city - see here in the rules?"

*sigh* As long as they're having fun, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right; you can't put multiple meeples in a connected feature. But you can put multiple followers in tiles for features that, at time of placement, are disconnected, with hope that they become connected, and you tie or win the majority. If you could just keep placing your own followers in a claimed feature you prevent the tactics of opponents who may vie to take it from you -- and encourage lazy thinking for how to do wise defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy is not only playing wrong, but also being a huge jerk by teaching "his rules" (even after realizing they are wrong) to new players. And no, his variant is not interesting at all, just plain stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a similar situation. If they have been playing wrong for years, and won't listen to your proof they are wrong, there is only one solution: don't play with that person ever again. Sadly, that does nothing for all the people who are being taught wrong. But - hopefully one day they will read the rules or play with someone who knows the rules and learn the correct way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Randall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds likely self-defeating. Unless you are locking down a city that will ensure you the win, those extra meeples could be on other features gathering you more points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the 'just annoying' camp. With the actual rules, it's a challenge to contest control of a feature. With these rules, you just add a tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoying - and just plain wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDRandall wrote:
Sounds likely self-defeating. Unless you are locking down a city that will ensure you the win, those extra meeples could be on other features gathering you more points.

I haven't actually played Carcassonne with this guy so I'm not entirely sure how his way of playing makes the game "more fun". I assume you'd have to close off cities quickly so that no one else can add a tile and another meeple.

He was trying to tell me it was more strategic too, but I'm not sure if he's ever played the correct rules, so ... not sure I can trust that comparison.

I'd be prepared to learn his version some day, maybe has some unsual merit. I just worry that the folks he taught the game will go and play with other folks and get into rules disputes themselves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That so-called variant of him can actually be a lot of fun ... and even challenging if you ask me.
Just wait until the fool has about 3 or 4 of his meeples in an unfinished city and then make sure he never manages to complete it by attaching tiles with 3 or 4 city sides to it and having a big laugh while blocking his precious meeples ninja
I'm sure he'll never play by his rules again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, why not try placing a tile ON top of his meeples (thus crushing them!) since it does not explicity say in the rules that you can't. (Obviously the adjoining tiles must match. After all we don't want to 'cheat' )

If he can change the rules, then obviously so can you. (And at least you'll have a better case for my suggestion!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have been far less diplomatic in that case and simply said something like "When you want to learn how to play correctly, come see me. Enjoy!"

Seems like you're letting the child burn himself on the stove...crylaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say tell him that he can only do this if everyone agrees to the broken house rule before the game starts, if a player wants to use a house rule everyone playing must agree or the group will not have happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
I say tell him that he can only do this if everyone agrees

Clearly he only gets away with it with people who know no better. For people used to the normal rule, I'm sure they would tell him where to stick it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spira
United States
New york city
New York
flag msg tools
Do people who work on game clubs explaining rules always explain unexistent rulers/skip existing ones, or it's just my impression?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yodavid1 wrote:
Do people who work on game clubs explaining rules always explain unexistent rulers/skip existing ones, or it's just my impression?

I think you're asking if games clubs folks usually give bad rules for games? Well I don't, and I know many other folks who take great pride in teaching games.

But it is human to make mistakes. Not normally to continue to make them after you've been corrected though!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.