Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for an adventure game appropriate for my 9 year old son. Fantasy themes are enjoyed in our family but we'll play anything.

How are the new D&D board games for that age group? I have Descent but the long play time and complex rules are a barrier for getting kids into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some success with Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, but I had to "ease back" on a few of the rules for my 7 year old. He loved it though.

The biggest success I have had introducing a game to my boy has been Quarriors!. We can play this with "full rules" and he loves it. Plus, I don't have to play "soft-ball" with him....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might enjoy Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). I play it with my 8 and 12 year old sons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this new game from ZMan, perfect intro Quest: A Time of Heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest and HeroQuest: Kellar's Keep and HeroQuest: Return of the Witch Lord ! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Above ground adventures (move around world map, fight monster cards in locations, no games master required):

Prophecy or Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)

Dungeon crawl (move around grid-based dungeon or castle, fight monsters represented by minis on the board):

Super Dungeon Explore (games master required)
Dungeon Plungin' (games master required; free to print and play!)

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game (no games master required)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a short, simple, fun adventure game, fantasy themed:

Castle Panic

I have also heard great things about
Forbidden Island and have played and enjoyed its cousin, the slightly more complex Pandemic.

There's also
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
which is like Indiana Jones the boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandie Fletcher
New Zealand
Featherston
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
Forbidden Island
great game..nice and tense..
I play it with 7&8 year old and as its co-opertive - given the opportunity they love to discuss options (or not arrrh)and i find they have a really clear idea of what it takes to get the treasure and get off the island.
Not hideously painful for participating adults either whistle

we play it after they go to bed

ed.for terrible typing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am making a game called RPGkids for my niece as a Christmas gift.

It costs 5 bucks for a bundle (base game/adventure pack) that contains over 80 pages of content. The suggested age is 4-7.

The thing that is cool about it is that all of the art for the game was drawn by the designers kid (or how I might drawn even at 53 whistle) so it's a snap for kids to make new scenarios. Make up a little story, draw up four or five maps using some crayons or colored pencils and you're good to go.

Even though my niece is eight, I think it's a good choice. She could GM her own games and has a creative mind. She might even have an adventure or three up her sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 and 10 year olds love A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game (we gloss over anything that we think might be inappropriate).

I'm betting that Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game will be a big hit, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KYEO
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does he love LEGO? My nephews are wild about the Heroica series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaostle is a huge hit with my kids. Rules are not too complex, but the characters have special abilities that can level up (if you want to play the more advanced game). The eye candy is pretty terrific too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy and Runebound work well with my boys (11 and 8) as does Dungeoneer.

My 8 year old is crazy about Dungeon Petz, Dungeon Lords, and Discworld: Ankh-Morpork.

The D&D games they were only luke-warm towards (not the greatest games in the world), but they love getting used D&D miniatures.

Akrham Horror is another game they love but it takes time to play. If you "GM" it the rules that they need to know are simple.

My kids didn't like Forbidden Island, since there were no monsters in it. Instead they love Castle Panic (especially with the Wizard's Tower expansion) and Ghost Stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys are a little younger but they enjoy Drakon, Cave Troll, and Dark World.

They also enjoy The Adventurers.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.