Chrononauts» Forums » General

Subject: removing inapproriate card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive just bought this game it's expansions for some single player action, and have thumbed through the cards. I'd also like to play this with my kids (box suggests 11+). If I remove the legalise card (for obvious reasons) from the deck, will that affect the game play? can I replace it with one of the cards from the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
SJack wrote:
ive just bought this game it's expansions for some single player action, and have thumbed through the cards. I'd also like to play this with my kids (box suggests 11+). If I remove the legalise card (for obvious reasons) from the deck, will that affect the game play? can I replace it with one of the cards from the expansions?

There is no other patch for that paradox (each paradox has only one patch except 1945), so yes, at least one of the ID's will be unfulfillable. You would have to remove those. The expansions do not have replacement patches. Getting rid of Reagan and saving Jon Lennon only leads to legalized marijuana. On the shuttle launch pad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:

for obvious reasons: the horror of reagan not getting reelected in 1984?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the response. Perhaps my best bet would be to find similar card stock and create a new card to patch the paradox the same way the legalised card does. would be nice to have a "clean" version of the patch card to play this game with children, perhaps in a future expansion? I wonder if Andrew Looney would consider this. I've linked him here to encourage a possible answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jojobinks wrote:
SJack wrote:

for obvious reasons: the horror of reagan not getting reelected in 1984?

heh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
Dereferenced variable scope line 68109: check null set failed (0xff83de47)
badge
mb
SJack wrote:

I assume by "obvious reasons", you mean you want to protect your kids from the idea of marijuana legalization. Wouldn't this be better handled as a teachable moment? You could explain to your kids:
- Who John Lennon and the Beatles were
- What happened in the late 1960s
- Why he is associated with marijuana and drugs
- How you feel about marijuana and drugs

I know that's a lot to ask out of a Looney Labs game, but (to me) it seems a better and easier solution than trying to cripple/re-write the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second what Septyn said. I play games mostly with my family, and I'm not in favor of recreational marijuana use, therefore I won't get Stoner Fluxx, even though I'm a big Fluxx fan and have every other flavor. But I don't mind playing with the legalization card at all. Not everything on the timeline is meant to be an endorsement.

I also second the opportunity for discussion. In my oldest daughter's teenage years I read many books to her. It's a great memory for both of us, both from the enjoyment of the stories, and from the chances it gave us to talk about things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how a card on legalizing marijuana is all the inappropriate. How old are your kids that you play with?

I guess cards on assassination and nuclear bombings are ok?

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Septyn wrote:
SJack wrote:

I assume by "obvious reasons", you mean you want to protect your kids from the idea of marijuana legalization. Wouldn't this be better handled as a teachable moment? You could explain to your kids:

I know that's a lot to ask out of a Looney Labs game, but (to me) it seems a better and easier solution than trying to cripple/re-write the game.

I appreciate your comment and I had thought of that, and it takes no stretch to imagine how introducing this topic within a game could be propitious to a healthy and educational discussion. However, as to whether or not it is an *easier* solution than replacing the card is up for debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
I'm not sure how a card on legalizing marijuana is all the inappropriate. How old are your kids that you play with?

BOb

It's often asked why some people object to X being portrayed in the media, but not to Y and Z. Usually because it is felt that the author is advocating X, but not Y and Z. It's not the portrayal of X, but the position about X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:

BOb

You have a point about some of the other cards. From the answer I got about possibly removing the legalise card, it seems it will affect the gameplay, so I'll have to be careful which kids and who's kids I introduce this game to. I think it will be simpler not to pull out this game than go through the motions of asking each parent in the room if they object to any of the subject matter on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb

The sheer concept that someone can imagine Chrononauts being "inappropriate" to children old enough to be able to play the game per se is quite surprising and, excuse me, a display of thorough lack of understanding of children. Seeing a card insinuating that marijuana might have been legalized in some possible parallel world, would do… what? Harm them? Bite them? Inspire unsavory thoughts?

Children old enough to even understand what marijuana is will hardly be shocked by the prospect of it being legal. What's going on here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Septyn wrote:
SJack wrote:

I find that the opportunities for historical discussion/thought to be a big part of the fun of the game.

Barliman wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

BOb

It's often asked why some people object to X being portrayed in the media, but not to Y and Z. Usually because it is felt that the author is advocating X, but not Y and Z. It's not the portrayal of X, but the position about X.

And how does that change anything? No man has the right to dictate what someone else can or cannot do, if it does not affect him. Our current "laws" may state otherwise, but the law exists to serve man, not the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cartographer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
I find that the opportunities for historical discussion/thought to be a big part of the fun of the game.

Exactly. I had a ton of fun talking with my friends about how things would be different if things played out like the patches. We also thought of little details about what happened at and after the events.

For example, after weed is legal, everyone is so chill that there is no need for violence, hence no guns. Also, the number one selling piece of furniture in the world is the futon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.