Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sinkovits
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just shuffle up and deal out everyone a hidden objective card at the beginning of the game it is quite likely that two players may share a hidden objective symbol. Worst case scenario, both of your symbols are shared by 2 other players and a 4th player has hidden objectives not shared with anyone else. You wind up fighting tooth and nail for anything, while the 4th player achieves their hidden objectives without competition.

To solve this problem, I separated the hidden objective cards into 4 sets of 4 cards each. The cards with each set share no hidden objective symbols with each other.

When we play, we choose one of the sets at random and each player is dealt a card. This way insures that hidden objective symbols are not shared by anyone, but more importantly keeps the game balanced.

It also means that in a 4-player game every city belongs to someone, which can help speed up the end game condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is an official variant included with the game rules. I think the hidden objectives cards have letters (i.e. A1,B1,C2, etc) on them that let you sort them prior to play and deal out in a fashion that keeps everyone with unique objectives. (don't have rules handy at the moment and not in online .pdf, but I think it might be a rules supplement one-sheet that comes in the box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sinkovits
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked my rules and it was not mentioned in there, or I am really missing it. I also don't remember getting any rules supplement with my copy.

It makes sense that this would be an official variant. I hope this thread will help others who might have missed it too, wherever it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was later announced as a way to make the objectives unique.
If it's not in the rules section it's on the publishers website.

10 cents for the first one to find these extra rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's under the files section.

Here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/56605/gonzaga-official...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so i must have printed it when I got the game and put it in my box... anyways, there's the official variant: thanks for the link mousey.

Interesting that they published the game with the numbers printed on the tiles anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.