Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like ED quite a bit so far. Two of the most common concerns with the game here seem to be replayability and player interaction.

There was a thread about diversity between games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/701746/diversity-between-gam...

The common consensus there is that diversity comes from player interaction. Actually, I find diversity in general quite good here (through technologies, various paths to victory, etc), but I need some help with player interaction. Here is one quote from that thread:

hgcoleman wrote:
As others have said, the diversity comes from player interaction... reacting to actions and strategies developed by other players, much like in Puerto Rico. For example, I like to play a tech strategy and research the higher level techs in the category of my start planet, then develop strategy based on those techs. However, a player doing a planet attack/settle strategy may be able to end the game with planets worth many VP's before I can get my strategy off the ground.

So in this example, how should I react to the aggressive planet attack/settle strategy? Do the same thing? Are there more interesting counter-strategies?

I would like to hear a few more examples of possible strategies/counter-strategies. I'm not asking for exact recipes for every situation, but just want to get a feel for that claimed interactivity on a strategic level, so that I can enjoy the game even more.

Same for the tactical level. I find the decision to follow or dissent quite interesting at times. However when it is my turn, I'd like to see some examples of how the presence of opponents would affect my choice of action and role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, if I know you are doing lots and lots of military. Once I feel I have an acceptable amount of military symbols in my deck (or from planets), I will hope to always play my military when following your role. This has a few advantages: I don't have to waste my role playing military, I can get military before my turn so that I can attack a planet as an action, I don't add any extra unneeded military into my hand.

Or I know that I won't be doing military and I quickly try to get dissension so that I get to draw 2 cards every time I don't follow your military role.

Also, if 2 players are going after the same thing (in a 3 player game for example), I should adapt and not plan for as long a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
For example, if I know you are doing lots and lots of military. Once I feel I have an acceptable amount of military symbols in my deck (or from planets), I will hope to always play my military when following your role. This has a few advantages: I don't have to waste my role playing military, I can get military before my turn so that I can attack a planet as an action, I don't add any extra unneeded military into my hand.

So I guess the general rule would be "if one opponent does a lot of some role, I could benefit from having enough of the same role to follow effectively, but still concentrate on a different strategy". I like it.

mfl134 wrote:
Or I know that I won't be doing military and I quickly try to get dissension so that I get to draw 2 cards every time I don't follow your military role.

Why 2? Isn't it just one card?

mfl134 wrote:
Also, if 2 players are going after the same thing (in a 3 player game for example), I should adapt and not plan for as long a game.

This still worries me. Even if it's just a single opponent digging through a single role quickly. I feel like players almost have to agree - "Let's all pick different strategies so that the game doesn't end in 10 minutes".

It would be nice to see more recommendations and make it a useful thread for those experiencing the same problems. I still feel that Eminent Domain is like meat without potatoes. It's tasty and fulfilling, but something is missing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:

mfl134 wrote:

Why 2? Isn't it just one card?

Michael mentioned Dissention - a level 3 tech which allows you to draw an additional card when Dissenting. So with that tech you would draw 2 cards instead of 1 when dissenting.

Quote:
mfl134 wrote:

This still worries me. Even if it's just a single opponent digging through a single role quickly. I feel like players almost have to agree - "Let's all pick different strategies so that the game doesn't end in 10 minutes".

The only case in which this is likely to be a "problem" for some people is the 3 player game. Therefore I included an optional "3 Player Extended Game" variant in the rules. Some players will prefer this variant when playing with three players.

When I play with my friends (and some could consider up "experts" - or at least very experienced), we play the standard 3-player game, and it's not over in 10 minutes. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's usually not hard to tell when you're likely to leech a Survey -- simply look at everyone's progress on planets. If others need planets too, you may not have to survey yourself. Similarly, if your opponent is always surveying, it gives you time to focus your roles on something else, though realize without survey cards in your deck, it will be harder to do it yourself.

Produce/Trade seems like another good strategy to fight off aggressive settle/attack. If your opponent has already surveyed (and you have been able to settle/attack a few planets), you can beat him at produce/trade. It's even better when you can get one of the level 2 technologies which give extra points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.