Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...the rules seem to suggest that the dealt cards indicate what side of the Wonder board to use as well as the Wonder itself. Is this true?

In other words:

1) Are sides random or chosen? (I know you could play it how you want but what's the "standard" rule?)

2) If random, how do you guys typically decide this?

I was thinking I'd let the players, before looking at the card, of course, rotate it to the valid position of their choice. The "right" (top) side denotes the side to be used.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manual, pg. 3 wrote:

Shuffle the 7 Wonder cards, face down, and hand one to each player. The
card and its facing determine the Wonders board given to each player as well as the side to be used during the game.

So, yeah, officially speaking, you deal out the cards at random. We then each spin our card around a bit before turning it over. The proper facing on the front of the card determines which wonder and which side to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the "standard" rule is you pick the card, rotate it whilst it is still covered, and the side facing the right side up when you uncover it is the side of the Wonder board you use.

We typically do it that way too in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*thumbs up*

What I thought. Thanks, gents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I own the game, in my groups, I just deal them out, in front of the player. Whatever side is right-side-up, to them, is the side they use. Of course, use any method you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
We generally deal out the cards randomly however since the side A wonders are usually weaker and less interesting than the side Bs we allow the player to choose which side they want to play (almost always B).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoff Lag
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From our side, as we are not regular players, we always start playing with the A sides (rules tips). That said, we see no reason why not deciding all together what side will be played the next game. So that everyone will play the same complexity / powergame capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
We generally deal out the cards randomly however since the side A wonders are usually weaker and less interesting than the side Bs we allow the player to choose which side they want to play (almost always B).
That's interesting... So is that to say that players who were dealt side 'A' will be at a disadvantage to those dealt side 'B'.

What is the general consensus on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Since I own the game, in my groups, I just deal them out, in front of the player. Whatever side is right-side-up, to them, is the side they use. Of course, use any method you want.

Same. Only exception is when somebody play it for the first time, they can choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I never noticed, or forgot, the card-facing part of dealing out wonders.
We always decide beforehand if we're playing A-side (usually if there's new players) or B-side. Everybody plays the same side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do the deal and facing thing as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own a copy, so I can't look at the rules, but aren't the B sides more powerful? Why would you play a game where not everyone was on the same side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lennon
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This is my little way of increasing the value of your GeekGold. You're welcome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I recall when reading them that it specifically said that side "A" was easier for new players to learn, but both "A" and "B" sides were equally balanced. Having only played once, I'll leave it to others to support/refute that claim with their own experiences.

Edit: The top of page 9 of the rules states "The B sides of the Wonders are slightly more complex. Nevertheless, both sides remain balanced and can be used in the same game."
Rules can be found here: http://www.rprod.com/files/7W_RULES_EN_COLOR_LIGHT.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
From my experience the rules are lying and horribly so.

Rhodes Side B is much stronger than side A.

Alexandria, Ephesus, and Halicanarsus are also several times stronger on their B sides but because their A sides are terrible against experienced players hence why they are alright to play with new players on.

Babalon and Giza are both playable on side A but I find their side B to be much more interesting and a little stronger.

Olympia is the only wonder where Side B is arguably weaker than side A (and hence I pick side A when I have it usually) though side B is more interesting.

However these are my opinions and there is no agreed upon answer for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Tang
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
that's a good question: are the sides unbalanced? if one player chooses A and the rest choose B, will he be in disadvantage??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.