Subject: Announcing the 2011 AU/NZ Only Secret Santa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pleased to announce the 2011 AU/NZ Secret Santa, for those antipodean folks who would like to participate in a local gift exchange.

I don't want to discourage anyone from joining the Official BGG International Secret Santa. Please sign up for both Secret Santas if you can! The Official BGG International Secret Santa 2011 thread can be found here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/709786

The Guidelines

1. This is a AU/NZ-only Secret Santa, created to accommodate those who would like to participate in multiple Secret Santa events. Everyone with an address in New Zealand or Australia is welcome to join.

2. I will be using GeekExchange again this year to run the AU/NZ Secret Santa. If you wish to participate, please ensure that you sign up by midnight, Sunday November 20.

3. If you have already signed up for the Official BGG International Secret Santa, and can only afford to participate in one gift exchange, then you MUST stick with the International one, so as not to subtract from Octavian's work.

4. Update your wishlist (NOT your want list). Please have at least ten currently available games on your list, and make sure at least some of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have only high priced, hard-to-find games on your list, don't be surprised when you get something you didn't ask for! If you are participating in both Secret Santas, please be sure your wishlist indicates which games are eligible for which Secret Santa.

5. Once entries are closed (at midnight, Sunday November 20), everyone signed up will have a random name and address sent to them. Please be aware that the GeekExchange system assigns targets automatically, and I am unable to prevent specific pairings (significant others, for example). Please contact me via GeekMail asap if you have a "conflict of interest" with the target you have been assigned, and I will attempt to arrange a swap with another participant.

6. Once you receive a name and address, check out your recipient's wishlist and select a gift (specified for the AU/NZ Secret Santa) that they've indicated they would like. Then send it to them, so that it arrives in time for Christmas.

7. Secret Santa is all about the giving, not the getting. Please do NOT join the AU/NZ Secret Santa unless you plan to send a gift.

8. Personalising the gifts you send makes the experience more fun for all. Taunting is also encouraged. This can be accomplished secretly via the Santa user account. Just log in to BGG as Santa (pw: password), and send your target recipient clever poems, codes to crack, or a simple message that unfortunately, you weren't able to secure Dungeon Petz or Kingdom Builder, but their all-coal, homemade version of Draughts is on its way.

Please join if you can, be as generous as you can, and have a fantastic holiday season.

Have fun!

Click here to sign up:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekexchange/join/73

Edit:

Tips to make yourself the best Secret Santa

In 2009, Tommynomad put together a good list of tips on how to make the most of your participation in the Secret Santa, both as a Santa and as a recipient:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47425

Store Offers

EndersGame put together a very good list of Australian games outlets:

2009 Online Australian Retailers List & Price Comparison Guide
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47360

Edit 2:

Buying Boardgames in New Zealand

This thread could be helpful to those with Secret Santa targets in New Zealand:

Where do you buy boardgames from in NZ? Well, here's the complete list. Help make it better!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/547735

Edit 3:

Secret Santa Stores

Official BGG Secret Santa 2011 Stores:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/723510

Secret Santa Stores wiki:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Secret_Santa_Stores

Edit 4:

Look What My AU/NZ Secret Santa Sent Me! Geeklist

A geeklist to show off the gifts received and to thank our respective Secret Santas.

Look what my AU/NZ Secret Santa sent me! 2011 edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

#1!

Everyone please thumb the list: make Erin feel appreciated cool

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Martin
Australia
Dimboola
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In!

Been looking forward to this. Got some brand new idea's for hinting and taunting this year!

One other hint; Update your profiles! Let your Santa know about you so that they can tailor all the bits and pieces, the taunts, the gift the geekmails to you and not just some generic interaction.
We Aussies and Kiwi's are a close community so let us know who you are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in too (or should that be three...)

First time for the Aus/NZ list... double the fun for BGG Secret Santa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Signed up and mega keen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
Australia
Coburg North
Victoria
flag msg tools
BOOM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, also, am in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a rough value estimate here as there is in the international one (US$50)?

Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll ask Erin to respond- we've been away for a couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
I'll ask Erin to respond- we've been away for a couple of days.

No problems mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Is there a rough value estimate here as there is in the international one (US$50)?

Just curious.

This is a difficult question!

The idea of Secret Santa is to be generous in the spirit of Christmas - only you can know what that means in terms of your expenditure. The objective is not to try to rort the system, but nor is it to overspend. See last year's Look what my AU/NZ Secret Santa sent me! - 2010 edition geeklist for some examples of what Secret Santas have given in the past.

Please remember to budget for postage and adequate packaging to make sure your gift is received in the best possible condition (see Guide to Packaging! for packing tips), and please say thank you properly to your own Santa, whether on your profile or publicly in the "Look what my Secret Santa sent me! geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aneirin wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

Just curious.

This is a difficult question!

The idea of Secret Santa is to be generous in the spirit of Christmas - only you can know what that means in terms of your expenditure. The objective is not to try to rort the system, but nor is it to overspend. See last year's Look what my AU/NZ Secret Santa sent me! - 2010 edition geeklist for some examples of what Secret Santas have given in the past.

Please remember to budget for postage and adequate packaging to make sure your gift is received in the best possible condition (see Guide to Packaging! for packing tips), and please say thank you properly to your own Santa, whether on your profile or publicly in the "Look what my Secret Santa sent me! geeklist.

Thanks Erin. I only asked as these things can sometimes leave some people feeling hard done by.

I've been very lucky and need to be generous this year after receiving Merchants & Marauders and Defenders of the Realm from my International Santa last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Martin
Australia
Dimboola
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erin or Rob, Do you know how many participants we currently have? And who from last year we need to "gently" persuade to join up again?

I'd like to see this and the chains of generosity grow!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved this last year and had a lot of fun with my target, but I'm afraid I'll have to bow out this year - trying to save up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ykikamucow wrote:
Erin or Rob, Do you know how many participants we currently have? And who from last year we need to "gently" persuade to join up again?

I'd like to see this and the chains of generosity grow!

Cheers!

Yes, only thirteen to date, but there's still lots of time for people to sign up.

I'll send a reminder message to last year's participants who haven't yet signed up or indicated that they aren't able to participate in 2011 sometime over the weekend, in about a fortnight, just in case they've missed the announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rickards
Australia
Hobart Games Society
Tasmania
flag msg tools
A proud founding member of HOGS!
badge
facebook.com/thedicemencometh
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a ball last year (it is NOT stalking) and am definitely in again this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I'm in for the 1st time for Aus/NZ SS. Should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back for the third time - missed last year's for personal reasons. Happy days ahead. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! I'm always in

I have also posted your invite in all the Australian state forums and the NZ thread. Hope that was OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
Give a man fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Merlot
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a first timer joining in the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Dransfield
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in... only just saw this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
MissMenolly wrote:
I'm in... only just saw this.

Huzzah! Another Kiwi! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Kerr
Australia
Kingston
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for my first Secret Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.