flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the factions rules from Kickstarter:

"If you already have three ships at the Colonist Hub
then you may not dock a fourth ship to advance to a clear
circle or to launch your colony.
"

Example of discrepancy:
I place two of my own ships on colonist hub, now I mind control a player onto colonist hub. Technically, I only have two ships on the hub. Am I allowed to place a 3rd?

With the restricted placement in the original game, no, this would not be possible. I'm going to assume this is also true in Factions, but the wording leaves it unclear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct in your assumption about the 3-ships that you control restriction. No more than 3 ships under your control in the Colonist Hub for a 5-player game. You could Plasma Cannon the mind controlled ship to go back to 2 and then stick in a 3rd, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
You are correct in your assumption about the 3-ships that you control restriction. No more than 3 ships under your control in the Colonist Hub for a 5-player game. You could Plasma Cannon the mind controlled ship to go back to 2 and then stick in a 3rd, of course.

I would respectfully disagree, Brandon. My understanding is that the three ship limit is for your own ships. If you're using an opponent's ship via the Mind Control Helmet or the Astrogation Servo, I think docking it at the Colonist Hub for an extra advancement would be legal.

I'll ask Tory to come here and comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory Niemann
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:

I actually agree with Brandon here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah well, David is wrong again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus spake Tory. And lo, it was so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, where'd you go? I have your slice of humble pie right here. Just kidding, of course.

That said, I know it is quite some time until the big O, but I am so ridiculously excited for Origins and representing CMG again. I have already put together the schedule for me and my team.

Later, brother...

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is it supposed to work that you can occupy any 3 ports at the Colonist Hub, and you can't be locked out unless the previous 4 players all placed 3 dice? I had always assumed you still had to place all of your dice in one row each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguous placement is not required with 5 players.

and yes, if four players dock 3 ships each, player 5 would be locked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tory. Sorry for not replying sooner, I think something is broken with my subscribe, or I just misunderstood how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tk421 wrote:
Spittledung wrote:

I actually agree with Brandon here.

This has been dead for a while so I apologize for resurrecting it.

According to the Plasma Cannon text, you can only use it on an opponent's ship(s). If the mind controlled ship is being counted as the player's for the 3 dice restriction, then it couldn't be removed by plasma cannon, right, thereby still only allowing a colony to move 3 spaces (unless you controlled Asimov crater).

What am I missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
According to the Plasma Cannon text, you can only use it on an opponent's ship(s). If the mind controlled ship is being counted as the player's for the 3 dice restriction, then it couldn't be removed by plasma cannon, right, thereby still only allowing a colony to move 3 spaces (unless you controlled Asimov crater).

You can indeed Plasma Cannon a ship that you Mind Controlled. Which is why I would have agreed with David before Tory chimed in.

I don't really understand the ruling since 5p rules for the Colonist Hub talk about your ships at the Hub, and a Mind Controlled ship is not your ship. But it would also be weird if 5p rules allowed you to get more ships docked at the Colonist Hub under normal circumstances than you could in a 4p. So I guess there's that. (Just jumping back on this thread because I had the same question after I opened my Factions stuff yesterday.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.