Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Soller
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were going to try out Indonesia but I was wondering what is the point of building the intitial city based on your cards? Is it just so that you have control over where the city is placed - especially in future rounds?

there isnt any other benefit or interaction with "my" cities, or is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell it's so you can hopefully place the city somewhere you think might be helpful for you and gives you a little bit of knowledge of where a city will be when the other players may only know which general areas one might appear.

The initial one might not be quite as important as later ones but you have to have some consistent way to seed the cities I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its pretty much in planning for the future and for getting a different start every game. Knowing where cities will pop up is quite a big advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the cities are placed, it of course makes no difference who placed them - they're just there. But where they are has a huge impact on the game, and can drive your strategy somewhat. For example, if you have the ability to place cities in the Eastern part of the map, you might be more likely to want the spice companies at Halmahera or Maluku. The first placement you shouldn't think too hard about - it's hard to predict how things will play out. But as the game goes on, certain cities will benefit some players more than others. A distant city that only one shipper can get to is good for them. A centrally-located city mostly tends to help the producers nearby. Of course, since ownership of companies changes so often, that can be a little unpredictable. Which is why this game is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Then, he told me of the significance.

"It will be significant."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also by placing cities out of reach of shipping means their effect of increasing demand may be postponed for possibly a few turns. Maybe having the effect of causing a city to expand that is beneficial to your game plan.

It's a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been able to make anything in this one beneficial to my gameplan... it all just seems to make things worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last game (my 14 game) I got close to getting "opening" working, it seems that player have to make plan taking in account initial order and following two rounds. I'm still not sure I can do it, but felt a glimpse of patterns in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.