$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
125 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Quarriors!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dr. Houserule, or how I made some minor changes to make my game more fun for me and stopped worrying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: quarriors [+] [View All]
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow.... thanks for this post! This variant actually makes Quarriors a fun game for me.

In my opinion, the game played via the included rules is basically playing it on auto-pilot. The choices are way too easy.

I just played with 2 buys and the option to either score the creature OR cull a die from the used pile (I also included the creature that scored as a possibility to cull) and it was amazing. The bags actually started to grow. For a deck building game, that's half of the fun. It works really really well with the corrupted expansion as well. It's a tough choice to score that 2 point creature or to cull a corrupted quid. I also like how it buffs the cheaper creatures. I'm pretty happy to score an assistant now, because it will let me cull a basic quid! I haven't played enough, but it seems like a tough choice between 2 weaker creatures or the big bad dragon now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Watkins
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too like the idea of having to cull to score glory or not scoring and culling a die in the used pile.

Do have some questions though...

- How do the Victory dice work that either add to the glory or Victory Incantation that awards glory just for rolling the spell to activate.

Does the victory die have to be culled too?

- Haven't seen an answer to this question, and it has me curious as well.
AllTheEarth wrote:
Quick question with the "cull and score or discard and cull another" rule: If the creature is discarded and no points are taken, would you still use any special abilities the creature receives when surviving to your next turn?

For instance, the Defender of the Pale bonus that allows you to draw two extra dice on your next roll. Obviously you would take advantage of this if culling the Defender, but would you if you decided to discard and cull another die without taking any points?

Same goes for the Strong Witching Hag. If you don't score her, do you get to use the ability to move 1 die from your used pile to your active pool.
...or the Mighty or Strong Questing Wizard?

I'm thinking you probably don't get to use the special reward for scoring. It would make scoring that much better. But I suppose it would have to be tested to see if it makes the game better or hurts it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Mage Tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
For Quarriors, if you are unhappy with the culling rule, play that you can only cull the creature you score, and that you have the option of keeping the creature and not scoring it if you feel that is the strategic thing to do.
Well, this may be a lame question, but: does "keeping" mean here keeping it in your Ready area or keeping it your deck but still moving it to your Used area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:
Quote:
For Quarriors, if you are unhappy with the culling rule, play that you can only cull the creature you score, and that you have the option of keeping the creature and not scoring it if you feel that is the strategic thing to do.
Well, this may be a lame question, but: does "keeping" mean here keeping it in your Ready area or keeping it your deck but still moving it to your Used area?

we've played it that you move it to your used area. Pretty sure that is right, otherwise you could keep attacking with it each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Mage Tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
otherwise you could keep attacking with it each turn
exactly what just happened to us yesterday
after that it was obvious, that keeping unscored creatures in the ready area is way too powerful
so, next time we will 'use' them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what Mike Elliott's variant is for culling Corruption dice from the expansion, or culling other dice you have but don't want, with the "advanced" rules.

Tom Vasel misunderstood (or suggested) if the Assistant die scores you can cull a differ die instead of the Assistant.

Other people in this thread have suggested the ability to cull any die in place of scoring.

However, for me to even consider getting a variant like this to the table, I'd need at least Mike Elliott's blessing or a large number of other play testers saying it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Stexe wrote:
I'm curious what Mike Elliott's variant is for culling Corruption dice from the expansion, or culling other dice you have but don't want, with the "advanced" rules.

Tom Vasel misunderstood (or suggested) if the Assistant die scores you can cull a differ die instead of the Assistant.

Other people in this thread have suggested the ability to cull any die in place of scoring.

However, for me to even consider getting a variant like this to the table, I'd need at least Mike Elliott's blessing or a large number of other play testers saying it works well.

The houserule I use for normal culling using the advanced rules is you can spend 4 quiddy to cull a die (doesn't count as a purchase.)

Found it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played both versions - expert rules and standard rules - in a couple of two player games tonight and overall we found the standard rules to be more enjoyable. There's just something odd and unfun about losing your creatures back to the wilds when you score them. And moreover, the decision to score and lose, or not score and keep your creature, seemed rather fake in the end. Both of us always chose to score as there just never seemed any real strategic reason to not score them.

I do however think there's some merit in the two buys per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo wrote:
We played both versions - expert rules and standard rules - in a couple of two player games tonight and overall we found the standard rules to be more enjoyable. There's just something odd and unfun about losing your creatures back to the wilds when you score them. And moreover, the decision to score and lose, or not score and keep your creature, seemed rather fake in the end. Both of us always chose to score as there just never seemed any real strategic reason to not score them.

I think if you ran some other way to cull dice then not scoring creatures might be an actual choice. If instead of scoring a creature you could cull another die then I definitely think there would be an incentive to keep your creatures around since they would be more likely to cull more dice in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:

I think if you ran some other way to cull dice then not scoring creatures might be an actual choice. If instead of scoring a creature you could cull another die then I definitely think there would be an incentive to keep your creatures around since they would be more likely to cull more dice in the future.

Can you elaborate a little more?

We found that when you scored your creatures all the time then you actually needed your quiddity dice to buy more. So we didn't see a tremendous desire to actively cull them even if we had of used a 'if you don't score then cull another dice' rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo wrote:
Stexe wrote:

Can you elaborate a little more?

We found that when you scored your creatures all the time then you actually needed your quiddity dice to buy more. So we didn't see a tremendous desire to actively cull them even if we had of used a 'if you don't score then cull another dice' rule.

Well, if you go for Portal dice and other things that let you cycle through dice you can get more quiddity chances on monsters. Worst case scenario you're still getting quiddity for summoning instead of an additional die. Basic quiddity is pretty ineffective since you either get 1 or 2 quiddity, when other dice can just give more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I suppose this is assuming you have a lot of monster dice still in your bag? We found that because we were scoring them fairly often and therefore losing them, there wasn't much left in your bag at any one time. This was 2 players though, so perhaps the scenario is different with more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo wrote:
But I suppose this is assuming you have a lot of monster dice still in your bag? We found that because we were scoring them fairly often and therefore losing them, there wasn't much left in your bag at any one time. This was 2 players though, so perhaps the scenario is different with more?

I've never played it 2 player -- my only experience is 3 and 4 player. Have you tried playing where one person tries to score as much as possible vs. someone who streamlines their bag and goes for really strong stuff that can stop the opponent from scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo wrote:

I would suggest the non-official variant. I'm not a fan of the official variant for the same reasons you suggest.

Here's what I posted above that explains it more and why it works...

Quote:
I just played with 2 buys and the option to either score the creature OR cull a die from the used pile (I also included the creature that scored as a possibility to cull) and it was amazing. The bags actually started to grow. For a deck building game, that's half of the fun. It works really really well with the corrupted expansion as well. It's a tough choice to score that 2 point creature or to cull a corrupted quid. I also like how it buffs the cheaper creatures. I'm pretty happy to score an assistant now, because it will let me cull a basic quid! I haven't played enough, but it seems like a tough choice between 2 weaker creatures or the big bad dragon now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSD
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
Jambo wrote:

I would suggest the non-official variant. I'm not a fan of the official variant for the same reasons you suggest.

Here's what I posted above that explains it more and why it works...

Quote:

This thread has gotten a little long. Have you posted your rule variant in the "variant" forums? Could you or maybe re-explain them. I want to try. I just got the game so forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's why I gave you my quote, the rules were in there.

Here's some better formatting though:

* 2 buys per turn
* The option to either score the creature OR cull a die from the used pile. You can't do both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
Well, that's why I gave you my quote, the rules were in there.

Here's some better formatting though:

* 2 buys per turn
* The option to either score the creature OR cull a die from the used pile. You can't do both.

These are perhaps the best variant rules I've seen. They maintain the deck building aspect but also slow the scoring in the early game and somewhat limit the power of the early scoring of assistants or the early buy of a big creature.

Question: how competitive is opting to cull rather than continually choosing to score and not cull?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I've played enough to claim they're balanced (I've only played a handful of times with the variant) but I found them to be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
The folks at Fortress:AT came up with two rules about a month after release, maybe slightly longer, but not by much:

- After scoring monsters, you cull them.
- You can make two purchases per turn.

That's all, carry on. Only reason I'm posting this so late in the game's existence is that I wrote a review and was called out that F:AT didn't come up with it, which I know they did.

They may have come up with them independently, as did people on BGG and more importantly, as the designers did before the game was even released.

Why are you publishing a review so long after the game was released, anyway? I thought most of yours were more current.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bootylactin wrote:
We played it twice over the last two days with the following variants in play:

1. Two buys per turn (we allowed buying the SAME creature/spell with both buys)
2. When a creature survives, it moves to your used pile. You have the choice of scoring the creature's glory or culling a die, but not both.

These changes absolutely MADE the game for our group. Everyone who had played by the original rules saw a substantial increase in their enjoyment of the game. Games were close, no more runaway leader. One game I aggressively culled through the early rounds while my two opponents scored their creatures. The intent was to make a late game rally for a come-from-behind victory, and it ALMOST worked. Played by the original rules, you could never even hope to attempt something like this.

Haven't played with the expansion yet with these two variants, but hope to do so soon.

THIS is the best variant in this forum. I think this squezes the best juice off this game.

The only minor thing I would change is not to allow buying the SAME creature/spell with both buys, just for variety.

Amazing and simple variant, thanks!

PS. The new advanced official rule of culling scoring creature does not fit into deck building game, as it actually breaks your deck! You're not building anything anymore, but just buy-then-spend creatures for glory. I cannot understand how this got through developers mind. Worst rule ever. Not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Watkins
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:

PS. The new advanced official rule of culling scoring creature does not fit into deck building game, as it actually breaks your deck! You're not building anything anymore, but just buy-then-spend creatures for glory. I cannot understand how this got through developers mind. Worst rule ever. Not fun.

It came about due to some of the really powerful creature dies. Basically the first to be able to buy one can usually be runaway leader. If the player must sacrifice the creature and let it go back to the wilds the runaway leader problem is greatly diminished. It is optional though, so if you really don't like it, don't play with that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runaway leader problem could have been solved in other ways. First thing that comes to my mind is to choose the target player of your attack. This could be combined with simultaneous turns to enable joined attacks. I mean there are other ideas which does not break the deck-build-ishness of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
bootylactin wrote:

2. When a creature survives, it moves to your used pile. You have the choice of scoring the creature's glory or culling a die, but not both.

These changes absolutely MADE the game for our group. Everyone who had played by the original rules saw a substantial increase in their enjoyment of the game. Games were close, no more runaway leader. One game I aggressively culled through the early rounds while my two opponents scored their creatures. The intent was to make a late game rally for a come-from-behind victory, and it ALMOST worked. Played by the original rules, you could never even hope to attempt something like this.

Haven't played with the expansion yet with these two variants, but hope to do so soon.

THIS is the best variant in this forum. I think this squezes the best juice off this game.

The only minor thing I would change is not to allow buying the SAME creature/spell with both buys, just for variety.

Different strokes I guess. It's the only thing that makes the game even marginally interesting as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise first to buy dragon wins. Whee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
bootylactin wrote:

I would add one small rule to correct more dice income each turn due to double buy rule:

3. You can cull one die from your used pile immadietely after casting a spell.

This will balance the number of the dice and make spells more valuable, since spells are cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the option to not score and cull another die really has a substantial benefit over simply scoring the creature, at least for 2-player games. 2-player games are fast because it's not that difficult to score creatures and therefore it nearly always makes sense to score when the opportunity presents itself.

Perhaps if it were "you may cull 2 creatures instead of scoring the creature", then it would be a more appealing alternative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.