BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #318 - Steve Holden aka Fudgy or l10n0fjudah rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
With great pleasure I introduce to you this week's GEEK OF THE WEEK Steve Holden. I was after someone I personally was interested in learning more about but who had only a few things in common. Steve is a fellow family man, board gamer, and microbadger. Beyond that and having the occasional run in from time to time here on the geek I know little else. What I do know however is that he seems to be a really great guy. Without further adu I present...

Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

l10n0fjudah wrote:
I was born (33 years ago) and raised in southern Wisconsin. Eight years ago we moved a bit up north to the city of Hudson which is still in WI, but is about 30 minutes from the twin cities of Minnesota. I've been married for ten years and we have 3 red haired girls. This picture is a couple years old, but will give you an idea:

Professionally I work on software for a company called Avista (a.k.a Esterline Avista). I enjoy escaping to nature when I get a chance (hiking, kayaking, agate hunting) and love music both listening and playing (electric).

My draw towards board games started pretty young. My mom played games like Chess, Stratego, Cribbage, and Canasta with me. We also had family game nights with Pay Day (my mom's favorite family game), Life, Pictionary, Mille Bornes, and the like.

While in college I was introduced to Settlers of Catan by a friend who had brought it back with him from a mission trip to Uzbekistan; it quickly spread like wildfire through my group of friends. I expanded a little bit after settlers by playing and then acquiring a game called War! Age of Imperialism, but it was of course after finding BGG that the collection and hobby rapidly grew. My sudden immersion into the BGG world was the inspiration for this geeklist.

It's funny how a hobby like board gaming can be an outlet for many forms of creativity. I'm constantly amazed at the talent, humor, and brilliant ideas that pop up on this website. We have a great and diverse group of people here, you guys are tops It seems that just about anyone can find a way to express themselves in categories ranging from statistics to art. Personally I've enjoyed this expression in the form of Photography, Microbadge Design, and occasionally just doing something to have a good laugh with you all.

Last thing I'll mention here in the bio is the opportunity BGG opened up to share this hobby with my children (especially my oldest) which is very similar to the way my mom once did with me. I'm sure many of you have been able to share this with your children as well and can relate to the little memories that get created that way.

I'd like to thank Kevin here for the chance to be GotW and enjoy the company of you all in this thread thumbsup

Thanks Kevin, and thanks all!

Poll
Two truths and a lie: which is the lie?
1. I've never licked a nine volt battery.
2. I once sold a game to Z-man.
3. My favorite game to play as a kid was Survive.
      94 answers
Poll created by kevintlee

Starter Questions...
1. How did you meet your wife?
2. How and why did you begin designing microbadges?
3. How often do you get to play board games?
4. What are your favorite types of games and why?
5. If you could do anything for one month with anyone, anywhere what would it be?

Enjoy the week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a mole man....
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve!
You look like you are way outnumbered in that family picture!

My only question is about your avatar—where is the picture from and why do you use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
mbmb
I'm pleased to say that I've actually played a game with this GotW, and his lovely wife. Congrats, and welcome to the club! I have only one question for you. Beef-A-Roo: Home of the best roast beef sandwich in the Midwest, or best roast beef sandwich on earth?

Edit: In honor of both your Wisconsin residency, and your microbadgerhood (it's a word) I offer:

Yes! The microbadger infestation of the GotW list continues!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruitwer
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats, Steve!

Since you mentioned agates I was going to ask if you qualified as a mb. Since you own the microbadge, I guess you do. Do you have a collection or do you just like beach combing? What else do you pick up besides agates?

I see you're big on Neuroshima Hex!. We just got a copy for the iPad, so I'm looking forward to learning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svetlana
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Ich will!
badge
In the confusion and the aftermath you are my signal fire. Hold me close, 'cause I need you to guide me to safety. The only resolution and the only joy is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes, I don't want to wait forever...
mb
Congratulations, Steve!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Steve?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick"?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve! How great for you to get this honor!

I like your intro. I mean, how many people can really say they were introduced to Board Games because of Uzbekistan? Great geeklist too. I hadn't seen that one. True (too true!)

A few questions for you:

What is your favorite game to play with each family member?

Do you play RPG and/or Video games? If so, which ones and what are your favorites?

What do you find are some keys to keeping a sane household?

What is your favorite contribution to the site that you made? How about that someone else did?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
Congratulations Steve!

I took a look at your company's profile (I assume that is the correct one), and was very surprised to know that we have a lot more in common than we would think. Heck, replace the part about medical electronics with the space segment and then just change the name of the projects, and it would be looking at my company's/department's profile. So... I can honestly say that I feel sorry for you laugh

What exactly do you do at the company (I can get that from your microbadges, but just to be sure)? Do you love it, loath it, or put up with it? I see that your company is also CMMI level 5... what are your thoughts on that?...

So I don't just ask boring work related stuff, I'll ask some microbadge questions too What are your favorite microbadges, designed by you and designed by others? What is it that you like about microbadges in general?

Have a great week! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Steve!

What's the story behind your nickname and your ubergeekbadge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb

mb What's your favourite Dexterity game?

mb What's your favourite card game, played using themed cards?

mb What's your favourite card game, played using a regular/standard deck of cards?

mb What's your favourite Race game?

mb What's your favourite Memory game?

mb What's your favourite Tile Laying game?

mb What's your favourite Abstract game?

mb What's your favourite Area Control game?

mb What's your favourite Co-operative game?

mb What's your favourite Dice Rolling game?

mb What's your favourite Dungeon-Crawl game?

mb What's your favourite Trivia game?

mb What's your favourite War game?

mb What's your favourite Sci-Fi game?

mb What's your favourite Horror game?

mb What's your favourite Sports game?

Out of the BGG TOP 100 only:

1. ...How many games do you currently own?

2. ...What is the highest ranked game you own?

2b. ...What rating do you give it?

3. ...What is the lowest ranked game you own?

3b. ...What rating do you give it?

4. ...Which game would you choose to receive, if it were offered to you as a gift?

5. ...Which game did you play last?

6. ...Which is the highest rated game you have traded/sold?

7 ...Which is your most played game?

8. ...Which game would you like to purchase next?

...AND FINALLY

List page 1 of your BGG Quickbar.

Quickbar:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Fudgy! kiss Excellent choice, Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Steve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
"adu"? r-e-a-l-l-y-? "ado" were perfectly acceptable, while 'adieu' is what you'd meant specifically. Anyway, GRATZ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! A gotw that I know personally and one that helped my fledling game interests too.

If you could live in any board game universe/world/setting etc which would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Steve! You're a great choice for Geek of the Week. I hope this is a fun week for you.

Here are my questions:
- What's the best thing about living in Wisconsin? How big is Hudson and what is it known for?
- Where do you play most of the games you play, not counting game plays at home?
- What are the top 3 games you haven't played yet that you would like to try if given the chance?
- Who is your favorite musical artist/band and why?
- Which do you think are the top 3 most underrated games here on the Geek? Which are the most overrated in your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, Kevin is trying to start a streak of micro-badgers, eh? ...that conjures an interesting mental image.shake

CONGRATULATIONS! Steve,
I'll hoist a Schlitz in your honor.

I must confess that in the vastness of the BGG community, I have yet to run across you, although I suspect I've seen some of your work (I may even own some - I'll have to look). But then again we are delving into the seedy underworld that is the realm of the microbadge designers, a wretched hive of scum and villainy - no, wait; I'm thinking of something else...

Anyway, being somewhat unprepared, I will recycle some of the questions I used for Kevin, since you are in similar lines of interest:
d10-1Are you artistically talented in other ways - drawing, painting, music?
d10-2How much time do you devote to microbadge design?
d10-3How long do they take on average?
d10-4What's the longest amount of time you've spent on one microbadge?
d10-5Do you take requests, or just create on a whim?
d10-6What's your personal favorite?
d10-7What is the highest number of girls you have ever been in a room with by yourself (i.e., you were the only male) for an extended period of time (more than an hour)? {My personal record is 15, but it was a smallish room}
d10-8 Engineers are notoriously inartistic - it's a left-brain, analytical thing - how did you discover/develop your particular talent?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Steve!

Why do you own two Lycanthropy awareness microbadges?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Steve! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Steve!

Enjoy your week in the sun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
1. How did you meet your wife?
2. How and why did you begin designing microbadges?
3. How often do you get to play board games?
4. What are your favorite types of games and why?
5. If you could do anything for one month with anyone, anywhere what would it be?

Thanks for the warm congrats and intro, you guys are the best!
I hope to learn about and get to know y'all as well this week.

1. I first met my wife at a dance party my roommates and I were throwing at our apartment. She was with another guy though, and we only exchanged a few words when she first arrived. Then a couple days later I saw her at the campus computer lab I worked at, and she snubbed me! A week later she realized I played guitar for this group so she started coming into my lab to chat on a regular basis, and so began our relationship.

2. I started designing badges during the Lajos era when there was quite a few things lacking micro-representation, so I took a stab at it. I quickly realized there was more to it and really began to enjoy the creative outlet and surrounding community.

3. About twice a month with my oldest daughter and maybe once a month with other gamers.

4. My favorite games tend to have a good dose of tactical supporting an overall strategy. I enjoy finding ways to pair the two together.

5. Tough one, I'll have to think about and come back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammer Man
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Steve!!!

Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
settlerdave wrote:
My only question is about your avatar—where is the picture from and why do you use it.

The picture was chosen to pair with my username l10n0fjudah = Lion of Judah. "Lion of the Tribe of Judah" is one of the names used to refer to Christ in the new testament, and I also like C.S. Lewis' use of the symbolism in the Chronicles. I chose this particular image because I liked the contrast between the intense fire and power of the lion against the calm look on his face, and it looked pretty sweet.

A question for you Dave, what does the settler mean in settlerdave?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
l10n0fjudah wrote:
settlerdave wrote:

The picture was chosen to pair with my username l10n0fjudah = Lion of Judah. "Lion of the Tribe of Judah" is one of the names used to refer to Christ in the new testament, and I also like C.S. Lewis' use of the symbolism in the Chronicles. I chose this particular image because I liked the contrast between the intense fire and power of the lion against the calm look on his face, and it looked pretty sweet.

A question for you Dave, what does the settler mean in settlerdave?

taking bets on Catan here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.