Popular Tags: [View All]
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
A mole a day keeps the chemist away...
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
settlerdave wrote:
My only question is about your avatar—where is the picture from and why do you use it.

The picture was chosen to pair with my username l10n0fjudah = Lion of Judah. "Lion of the Tribe of Judah" is one of the names used to refer to Christ in the new testament, and I also like C.S. Lewis' use of the symbolism in the Chronicles. I chose this particular image because I liked the contrast between the intense fire and power of the lion against the calm look on his face, and it looked pretty sweet.

A question for you Dave, what does the settler mean in settlerdave?

Settlerdave was a nickname I acquired while I was in Vancouver from 1995 to 1997. My gaming group there played Catan constantly (it was the hot new thing then), and I had a long streak of wins that led to me being dubbed settlerdave. I've kept it as an internet handle ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I love your avatar and username. You have a beautiful family. As a father of 3 boys, I am impressed by those capable of bringing girls into this world. Well done!

Couple of questions...

If you could have a superpower, what would it be & why?
What do you like for breakfast?
What do you drive/pedal/ride?
I noticed you have a love for classic video games. Which are your favorites?
What upcoming game(s) are you most looking forward to?
Why did the lion lose at poker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewdane wrote:
I have only one question for you. Beef-A-Roo: Home of the best roast beef sandwich in the Midwest, or best roast beef sandwich on earth?

Thanks for the video Drew, that one cracks me up, and is very appropriate.

I think I prefer Beef-A-Roo: Our beverages aren't just for drinking.

To be honest though, the first I visited Beef-A-Roo they had a slogan on the napkins that said "Encourage Someone" together with a googly eyed smiley face. I thought that was refreshingly unique and so I'll claim that one as my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy" AKA tiggers
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve, a well deserved gong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of answering questions (and should have some focused time once the kids are in bed), but in the mean time there's something I wanted to do to have a little fun here.
I would like to give a geekgold to each person who will post:
1. Their favorite BGG contribution.
2. Something about yourself (something you like a lot, unique about yourself, etc.).

I think it would be cool to learn about you as you learn about me.
guaranteed for the first 100 such posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
I would like to give a geekgold to each person who will post:
2. Something about yourself (something you like a lot, unique about yourself, etc.).

Cool idea Steve!

My favorite BGG contribution is a Geeklist I put together last year where I asked questions of the top 2 users that had the most plays of each game in the top 100 ranked games here on BGG:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/52638/interviews-with-...

Something about myself? Here are a few things:
- Even though I'm a born-and-bred Canadian, I don't really care for hockey, but I'm a diehard Seattle Mariners fan.
- I only just started reading C.S. Lewis in the last couple of years (I'm now in my late thirties), and several of his books have joined the ranks of my favorite books of all time: The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, Mere Christianity, Til We Have Faces, and The Space Trilogy (especially Perelandra).
- One of my great-uncles, Harry Strom, was the Premier of Alberta from 1968 to 1971.

But enough about me. I am interested to read your responses to the questions asked of you so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy" AKA tiggers
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:

Nice way to share the spot light. Here's me:

1. Still my fave BGG contribution is my first GL (out of more than 50 now) - New or Upcoming Science Fiction Themed Games - Aug 2015 Update

2. I do have a love for sci-fi (as above would suggest). I watch, play and read it. I am also a committed Christian so I alternate my reading between sci-fi novels and Christian books. Both are fascinating and interesting but for very different reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[POLL] The Good, the Bad, and the OLGS: Rate the Online Game Stores

When I get flowers, I like to get mini rose bushes or flowering bulbs rather than cut flowers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Steve

Hope you enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.O.B.
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:

1. Favorite contribution? Besides some of my microbadges, this session report... "Robot Love: First game of RoboRally on Valentine’s Day (Eve), with some narration from Star Wars, Ep. IV"

2. Something about me? Children love me. Friends' children will ask for me by name. Children I've just met will come to me when they get hurt instead of going to their parents. Children I don't even know will try to climb on me at the park.

---

Do you have siblings? Does your wife? Do you plan to have more children? How did you decide on three (or more)? How did you pick their names?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
You make it too tempting Steve!

1. My favourite contribution is this:

Go ahead and click on it!

I promise you it's safe. A friend of mine and I did it at a time when a lot of pointless cleavage shots were being posted and so we did the picture as a satirical statement against that. The reason why it worked so well in "tricking" people was that the frontpage thumbnail was very small and you could only get a vague idea of what you were going to see...

2. What do I like about myself? Geesh, not much sometimes. Been a bit hurt and grumpy lately. I'm a puzzle nut. I love puzzles. Jigsaw puzzles, word puzzles, math puzzles, solitaire game puzzles. I love puzzles. Is that good enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
oh, hey! Have you even attempted to TRY the D12 "Variant" about 'Catan' that I'd created? AMEND that to where a 1 and 7 moved the 'Robber', while that cuts away the *BONUS* feature now, instead. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:

1. Probably a session report I wrote last week. First foray back into gaming after my wife gave birth to our first child. And see? I'm already deluded and confused and utterly smitten because I typed "our first child" without thinking about it, which sort of implies there'll be a second.

2. I once heard something about how red-haired people will be extinct by something like 2150 (I made that # up, but the sentiment is what counts) because it's such an uncommon/recessive gene that it's in danger of being overwhelmed. I see from your family photo that you are singlehandedly trying to make that prediction be false. Anyway, I'm not a redhead, as the hair on my head is brown (well, salt and pepper now), but my beard? Red. Fire red. I own a sweater that makes me look particularly Nordic and when I wear it my wife calls me Sven.

Anyway, congratulations on GotW.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
Since you mentioned agates I was going to ask if you qualified as a mb. Since you own the microbadge, I guess you do. Do you have a collection or do you just like beach combing? What else do you pick up besides agates?

Yes, I definitely qualify as a rock hound; it happens to be a common interest I share with my wife. Growing up it was non-agate rocks, but these days it's mostly agates since we live in an area with a high density at (or near) the surface. I've scouted a few places that we frequent to find them. As for beach combing (north shore lake superior), that's the one place we haven't had much luck...probably because it gets pretty over picked by frequent hunters. Occasionally we'll pick up some non-agate if it looks interesting enough.

I do like Neuroshima Hex quite a bit. It takes a while to get the strategy down for each army since you can't play them all the same way, but once you do, the game really shines.

I do have a question for you Bob: How are you able to visit the wonderful places I've seen you post about? Do you have a job that takes you around, or do you make it a priority to travel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
4 Having fun?
5 What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Steve?
6 What is your favourite snack?
7 What is your favourite day of the week?
8 What is your favourite time of day?
9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
10What makes you "tick"?
11What is your life-long dream?

d10-1 If available I'll play with brown or natural, otherwise I'll take whatever's left.
d10-2 Definitely Autumn, I love the cool crisp air. mb
d10-3 I play mostly guitar, a little when I was young but picked it up again about 12 years ago. I started on acoustic then migrated to electric and that's my favorite. I'll also fill in on drums once in a while.
d10-4Most days yes. Once in a while the energy runs low and the days can be non stop, but there can be something good in a hard day too.
d10-5I've never considered a name for myself apart from Steve, but I like unique name trend these days so it would something along those lines.
d10-6My favorite snack right now are these rice crackers my dad gets at a dollar store down in Janesville, they're coated with a light glaze of yummy soy sauce (which tastes a lot better then the cheap soy sauce usually offered in the grocery stores).
d10-7 Favorite day of the week is probably Saturday for obvious reasons (day off) but Thursday is kind of nice because our week slows down right there and we can get in some good family time.
d10-8Favorite time of the day is a tough one, I like the morning when the day is new, some days it's the end when everything settles down and can catch a breather.
d10-9 I'm not a star trek fan, so I don't know the characters well enough to answer that one...
d10-1d10-0 I love having creative outlets for output, I find that energizing, also being out in nature. Ultimately it's my faith that provides the true "tick" in me.
d10-1d10-1 My life long dream is to bloom where I'm planted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.O.B.
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
wildthayne wrote:
Since you mentioned agates I was going to ask if you qualified as a mb. Since you own the microbadge, I guess you do. Do you have a collection or do you just like beach combing? What else do you pick up besides agates?

Yes, I definitely qualify as a rock hound; it happens to be a common interest I share with my wife. Growing up it was non-agate rocks, but these days it's mostly agates since we live in an area with a high density at (or near) the surface. I've scouted a few places that we frequent to find them. As for beach combing (north shore lake superior), that's the one place we haven't had much luck...probably because it gets pretty over picked by frequent hunters. Occasionally we'll pick up some non-agate if it looks interesting enough.

I do like Neuroshima Hex quite a bit. It takes a while to get the strategy down for each army since you can't play them all the same way, but once you do, the game really shines.

I do have a question for you Bob: How are you able to visit the wonderful places I've seen you post about? Do you have a job that takes you around, or do you make it a priority to travel?

Before I got married, I would travel around Arizona and Utah in my car to see the beauty of the deserts (hence the avatar). When I got married, the international component was added to the traveling:

My wife Heather was born to American and Canadian medical missionaries in British-controlled Hong Kong. She was raised in Colorado and in Malawi (in south eastern Africa). By the time I met her in high school, she had been in 50 countries. surprise

Years later we got married and two years after that we took our first international trip (besides honeymooning in Mexico) to Europe. Since then we done several trips to Europe and Asia (as well as Canada and Mexico) with friends and family, all for fun. We tend not to buy a lot of expensive toys or other fancy things, so we like to use our extra money for travel.

Also, after my in-laws settled back down in the States, my mother-in-law switched from nursing to being a travel agent. My in-laws travel all over the world all the time, which is a contributing factor because they often invite us to come with them. We do when we can. Several of our trips, including the most recent one, have been organized by them.

Another big factor is that we haven't had children yet. I understand that having children has a significant effect on one's schedule. whistle

I think I've been to 21 countries now (not including the ones where all I saw was the inside of an airport for a connecting flight). meeple

{edit:grammar}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Congrats! I knew my way around the wargamer GotWs, but I'm meeting new folks through this current trend.
l10n0fjudah wrote:

The image I made for the first half of my review of Napoleon's Triumph:

I surprised my parents by teaching myself to read at the age of 4 by asking my parents countless times what various signs and labels said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite BGG contribution: the spreadsheet I created to help support PBF play of Dungeon Lords. That's certainly the one that was the hardest work! (Although, there are some things I know now about functions in OpenOffice Spreadsheet that would have made it easier had I known them then.)

Something about myself: I've made a little bit of a hobby of collecting lab-created gemstones -- mostly varieties of corundum, but also some synthetic emerald. I had one round-cut emerald set into a custom-made Green Lantern ring. But the emerald was a bit large, and now I rarely wear the ring because it came out so massive. I did wear it when I went to see the movie, though.

Question for you: why "Fudgy"? Where does that come from?

(I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any exposition on that question. Maybe everyone else knows you well enough to already know?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:

(I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any exposition on that question. Maybe everyone else knows you well enough to already know?)

Someone (I think rmidjord) mis-deciphered his username and thought it was pronounced Fudgy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
mbmb
indigopotter wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Someone (I think rmidjord) mis-deciphered his username and thought it was pronounced Fudgy.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:
What is your favorite game to play with each family member?
Do you play RPG and/or Video games? If so, which ones and what are your favorites?
What do you find are some keys to keeping a sane household?
What is your favorite contribution to the site that you made? How about that someone else did?

With my Wife: Race for the Galaxy

With my oldest: Hard to say because right now she wants to try everything I have at least once, a little goal of her's to make it through my collection I guess
I think the last three I played with her were The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, Caylus, and San Juan; all were fun.

My middle: Zooloretto

My youngest: Something simple like Sorry! Sliders or Boppin' Bee.

I don't play RPG and rarely video games, but I do have a wii I play occasionally with the kids. Last Friday night my neighbor came over with his xbox 360 and he introduced me to Gears of War 3. That was fun, we had a blast.

My key to keeping a sane household is helping my wife out as much as possible, and pray.

Favorite contribution is hard to pick, but since we were on the topic of playing games with the family I'll go with this one:

I was playing a child variation of TTR with her and her sister, she realizes that we're not playing quite right so grabs the instructions to figure it out while I grab the camera

Here are some others:

And this geeklist: Which Games do you rate a 10 after 20+ plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

- I daringly delved into the "Dungeon of Doom" does that count? It was a blast!
- Yes, at one time I visited the RPG side quite a bit. When it first came up I was designing microbadges for various RPGs and so became familiar with many of them. I've actually created more badges for RPGs than any other category.
- Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wenzel
United States
Bloomington
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewdane wrote:
I'm pleased to say that I've actually played a game with this GotW, and his lovely wife. Congrats, and welcome to the club! I have only one question for you. Beef-A-Roo: Home of the best roast beef sandwich in the Midwest, or best roast beef sandwich on earth?

Edit: In honor of both your Wisconsin residency, and your microbadgerhood (it's a word) I offer:

Yes! The microbadger infestation of the GotW list continues!

This is very Wisconsin indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.