Hide
17 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: I've reworded all cards to prevent ambiguity in the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Citadels [+] [View All]
Kurii Kurii
msg tools
I've reworded all the purple districts and the characters to cover every situation I could think of that was unclear in the rules (with the help of the topics in this forum and Bruno's FAQ).

Source #1: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Citadels/suppo...
Source #2: http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=328&fich...
Source #3: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/406296/the-faq-to-end-al...

Please look over them and give me your opinions or tell me if there was something I've missed or overlooked. Or maybe some strangeness to the wording. Thanks.

If there's any wording you can think of to shorten these descriptions, please let me know.

Purple Districts

Keep – The Keep cannot be targeted by the Warlord's/Diplomat's ability.

Observatory – If you choose to draw cards when you take an action, you must draw an extra card and put an extra card on the bottom of the District Deck face-down in any order.

Haunted City – For purposes of Victory Points (not Income), the Haunted City is considered to be of any 1 color of your choice at the end of the game (unless you built it during the last round of the game).

University – The cost for this district is 6, but is worth 8 Victory Points at the end of the game. The cost of the Warlord’s/Diplomat’s ability targeting this district is based off the final cost of this district.

School of Magic – For purposes of Income (not Victory Points), the School of Magic is considered to be a color of your choice every turn.

Smithy – Once during your turn, you may pay 2 gold to draw 3 district cards.

Library – If you choose to draw cards when you take an action, you must keep an extra card you have drawn.

Dragon Gate – The cost for this district is 6, but is worth 8 Victory Points at the end of the game. The cost of the Warlord’s/Diplomat’s ability targeting this district is based off the final cost of this district.

Graveyard – When the Warlord destroys a district (excluding the Graveyard) with his ability, you may pay 1 gold to put the destroyed district into your hand (unless you are the Warlord). Note: If the Diplomat is used, remove this card from the game and randomly replace it with another card.

Laboratory – Once during your turn, you may put a district card from your hand to the bottom of the District Deck face-down and receive 1 gold from the bank.

Great Wall – The cost for the Warlord's/Diplomat's ability when targeting your districts (excluding the Great Wall) is increased by 1 gold.

Quarry – You may build districts identical to another district already in your city (but may only have up to 2 of the same districts). You do not lose the district built this way if the Quarry is destroyed.

Wishing Well – At the end of the game, you score 1 Victory Point for each other purple district in your city.

Imperial Treasury – At the end of the game, you score 1 Victory Point for each gold in your possession. Gold used to Beautify a district does not count.

Map Room – At the end of the game, you score 1 Victory Point for each card in your hand.

Hospital – If you are assassinated and called upon, you may still take your action for the turn, but that's all you can do. Note: If the Witch is used, remove this card from the game and randomly replace it with another card.

Poor House – If you have no gold at the end of your turn, you must receive 1 gold from the bank. The Tax Collector collects your gold before this ability activates. Gold used to Beautify a district does not count.

Lighthouse – When you build (not exchange) the Lighthouse, you may look through the District Deck, choose 1 card and place it in your hand, then reshuffle the deck.

Park – If you have no cards in hand at the end of your turn, you may draw 2 cards from the District Deck.

Armory – During your turn, you may destroy the Armory along with another district card of your choice in another player’s city (even if it's a completed city but the game will still end, and the player will still get the Victory Point bonus for a completed city). If you destroy the Bell Tower, the game will still end at the end of the round if the end condition has already been met. Place the 2 destroyed districts to the bottom of the District Deck face-down in any order.

Ball Room – When you have the Crown, all other players must say “Thank you, your Excellency” loudly and clearly after you call his character. If a player forgets, mumbles, or says something different (for example, "Thanks, your Excellency") and starts his turn without saying it, he loses his turn. Starting a turn includes using an ability, or touching/receiving a district card from the District Deck or the bank's gold (does not actually get to keep the card(s) or gold). The Witch can still resume her turn as the bewitched character even if the bewitched player loses his turn and does not take an action.

Factory – The building cost for any other purple district you build in your city is reduced by 1. This doesn’t affect the cost of the Warlord's/Diplomat's ability or Victory Points.

Museum – Once during your turn, you may place 1 district card from your hand, face-down, under the Museum. At the end of the game, you score 1 Victory Point for each card under the Museum. If the Museum is destroyed or exchanged, all cards under the Museum go with it. If destroyed, the destroyer places all cards to the bottom of the District Deck face-down in any order.

Bell Tower – When you build the Bell Tower in your city, you may decide that the game will end at the end of the round in which a player builds 1 less than the # of districts required to complete a city. If the Bell Tower is destroyed, the end conditions go back to normal (but if a player completed a city, the game will still end regardless). All players with a completed city after Bell Tower activates get the 4 Victory Point bonus (unless someone already has a completed city prior to activation, in which case these players will only score 2 Victory Points).

Throne Room – Every time the Crown moves from a player to another, you must receive 1 gold from the bank. If the Thief steals from you at the same time the Crown moves, the Thief steals your gold before this ability activates.

Character Cards

(1) Assassin – Once during your turn, you may announce a character you wish to assassinate. The player with the assassinated character says nothing, and says nothing when the character is called to take his turn. The assassinated character misses his entire turn without being able to use any abilities.

(2) Thief – Once during your turn, you may announce a character you wish to steal from. When that character is called upon and is revealed, steal all gold from that player before any action is taken. You cannot steal from the Assassin/Witch, or the Assassin’s/Witch’s target.

(3) Magician – Once during your turn, you may do one of the following two things:
• Exchange your entire hand of cards (not the cards in your city) with the hand of another player (even if you have no cards in your hand).
• Discard any number of cards from your hand to the bottom of the District Deck face-down in any order, and then draw an equal number of cards from the top of the District Deck.

(4) King – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each yellow district in your city. When the King is called, you must immediately receive the Crown counter. You will now call for characters. If you are assassinated, you skip your turn but still take the Crown counter at the end of the round, and is first to choose a character in the next round. Note: If the King is in the face-up discarded character cards, randomly replace him with another character.

(5) Bishop – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each blue district in your city. Your districts cannot be targeted by the Warlord's/Diplomat's ability this round (unless assassinated or bewitched, in which case the Witch player gets this ability instead).

(6) Merchant – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each green district in your city. Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold.

(7) Architect – Once during your turn, you may draw 2 district cards and put both in your hand. You may build up to 3 districts this turn.

(8) Warlord – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each red district in your city. At the end of your turn, you may destroy 1 district of your choice by paying a number of gold equal to 1 less than the cost of the district. You may target your own districts. You cannot target the Bishop’s districts (unless he was assassinated). You cannot destroy a district in a city that is already completed. Place the destroyed district to the bottom of the District Deck face-down.

(1) Witch – After you take an action, you must announce which character you wish to bewitch, then immediately end your turn. When the player who has the bewitched character is called upon, he shows his character card and takes an action, then immediately ends his turn without using any abilities. You now resume this player’s turn as the bewitched character, stealing all the character’s abilities for your own city (but using your own cards and gold). If the King is bewitched, the King player still receives the Crown counter. If no one has the bewitched character, you do not resume your turn. The Thief cannot steal from the Witch or bewitched character. The Tax Collector collects from the Witch player.

(2) Tax Collector – If a player builds 1 or more districts in his city, that player must give you 1 gold (if he has any gold left) immediately after the end of his turn. If the Assassin has already built a district card, and has any money left, that player must also pay you 1 gold as soon as you reveal that you have the Tax Collector.

(3) Wizard – Once during your turn, you may look at another player’s hand of cards and take 1 card. You must then either put this card into your hand, or pay to build it into your city (does not count towards your 1 district limit per turn). You may build districts identical to a district already in your city this turn (but may only have up to 2 of the same districts).

(4) Emperor – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each yellow district in your city. When the Emperor is called, you may immediately take the Crown counter from the player who has it and give it to a different player (but not yourself). The player who receives the Crown counter must choose and give you 1 gold or 1 district card of his choice from his hand. If the player has neither a gold nor a card, he does not give you anything. Note: If the Emperor is in the face-up discarded character cards, randomly replace him with another character.

(5) Abbot – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each blue district in your city. Once during your turn, if you choose, the player with the most gold must pay you 1 gold. If there is a tie for the player with the most gold, or if you have the most gold, then no one pays you.

(6) Alchemist – At the end of your turn, you must get back all the gold you spend from building district cards this turn from the bank, but not the gold you spend for other reasons (paying the Tax Collector, for example).

(7) Navigator – Once during your turn, you may receive 4 gold or draw 4 cards. You cannot build any district cards this round.

(8) Diplomat – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each red district in your city. At the end of your turn, you may take a district from another player’s city in exchange for a district in your city. If his district has a higher cost than your district, you must pay the difference in gold to the player you are exchanging with. Exchanges cannot force a player to have identical districts in their city (unless the person receiving the identical district is a Wizard or has the Quarry, in which case they may only have up to 2 of the same districts). You cannot target the Bishop’s districts (unless he was assassinated). You may use this ability if you have a completed city but cannot target a player who has a completed city.

(9) Artist – You may “Beautify” up to 2 of your districts this turn by putting 1 gold on each of those districts. The cost of a Beautified district (and therefore the cost of the Warlord’s/Diplomat’s ability) is increased by 1. At the end of the game, you score 1 Victory Point for each Beautified district in your city. A district can only Beautified once. A Beautified district and an identical district that is not Beautified is still considered identical.

(9) Queen – Once during your turn, you may receive 3 gold if you are sitting beside the King or Emperor (not the Crown holder). If the King or Emperor has been assassinated, but was sitting beside you, you may receive 3 gold when this becomes known (that is, immediately after your turn). Note: You cannot use the Queen in a game with fewer than 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I've reworded all cards to prevent ambiguousness in the rules
Would it be going beyond the scope of the thread to include official variants? For example...

Quote:
Bell Tower - When you build the Bell Tower in your city, you may decide that the game will end at the end of the round in which a player builds his 7th district. If the Bell Tower is destroyed, the end conditions go back to normal. All players with 7 districts, at the time of activation, get the 4 Victory Point bonus (unless someone already has 8 districts built).
If everyone agrees to play to 7 districts to end the game, then does this district mean that it's 6 districts for a closed city, in which case, it could be reworded to "built one less than the # of districts required to close a city"

In the same vein, would it be wrong to say Observatory lets you draw an extra card and Library lets you keep an extra card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurii Kurii
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
Would it be going beyond the scope of the thread to include official variants? For example...

Quote:
Bell Tower - When you build the Bell Tower in your city, you may decide that the game will end at the end of the round in which a player builds his 7th district. If the Bell Tower is destroyed, the end conditions go back to normal. All players with 7 districts, at the time of activation, get the 4 Victory Point bonus (unless someone already has 8 districts built).
If everyone agrees to play to 7 districts to end the game, then does this district mean that it's 6 districts for a closed city, in which case, it could be reworded to "built one less than the # of districts required to close a city"

In the same vein, would it be wrong to say Observatory lets you draw an extra card and Library lets you keep an extra card?

Good catch. I've fixed it according to your recommendations along with some other cards. Please take a look. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bishop – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each blue district in your city. Your districts cannot be targeted by the Warlord's or Diplomat's ability this round unless the bishop was the target of the assassin or witch this turn.

Clears the wording up a bit. It was still sort of ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Bishop – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each blue district in your city. Your districts cannot be targeted by the Warlord's or Diplomat's ability this round unless the bishop was the target of the assassin or witch this turn.

Clears the wording up a bit. It was still sort of ambiguous.

You could also put this exception in the Warlord/Diplomat description.

"You may not target buildings in the Bishop's city, unless he was assassinated."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurii Kurii
msg tools
I've changed a few things around like shortened some sentences up, changed murdered to assassinated. I took out the bewitched thing in the Bishop's description because it made it sound like the Witch player couldn't use the ability either because the Bishop was bewitched. I made it pretty clear in the Witches description that you steal all abilities from the character. I also added the Bishop's ability into the Warlord's/Diplomat's description.

I've changed some other stuff up as well, please take a look. I'd like to shorten some of these lengthy descriptions if possible. But I'd like to keep restriction descriptions on the card doing the action if possible. But at the same time, I'd like descriptions on the card that might be targeted to give it more of an appeal. If that makes any sense. I'd also like to put restrictions in parenthesis. I'd also thought about making restrictions in italic, and the "Note:" in bold. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I still think the Bishop's description is ambiguous for the same reason I mentioned before.

As you have it it's unclear who you mean by "unless assassinated".

As I look it over it's completely unnecessary to even mention assassination at all in the description. If the Bishop was assassinated that round then he doesn't exist for that round and the player's districts can be the target of the warlord and diplomat. Just leave it out entirely. It's much more clear that way.

Bishop – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each blue district in your city. Your districts cannot be targeted by the Warlord's or the Diplomat's ability this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurii Kurii
msg tools
It's not ambiguous; just a little redundant. The left it there to make the description a little newbie friendly. In the case a new player picks up the Bishop thinking he's fully invincible, but doesn't know about or forgot about the assassin/witch. I guess I could leave it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Brígido B. Sales
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Well, I still think the Bishop's description is ambiguous for the same reason I mentioned before.

As you have it it's unclear who you mean by "unless assassinated".

As I look it over it's completely unnecessary to even mention assassination at all in the description. If the Bishop was assassinated that round then he doesn't exist for that round and the player's districts can be the target of the warlord and diplomat. Just leave it out entirely. It's much more clear that way.

Bishop – Once during your turn, you may receive 1 gold for each blue district in your city. Your districts cannot be targeted by the Warlord's or the Diplomat's ability this round.

I disagree. I had this doubt in my first few plays of the game, it doesn't hurt to leave it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should 'ambiguousness' be re-worded to 'ambiguity'?

Sorry - now that I got my smart-aleck comment out, I'll say something more productive:

"THANKS!"

Any thread that brings positive attention to this game is fantastic - also, the work you've done is wonderful!

Thanks again (and please ignore my initial rude remark )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the OP won't think that the correction was rude, especially the kind manner in which it was worded (right?). I have to admit, when I saw "ambiguousness" and "reworded" - and "newuser" - I wasn't expecting much. Actually, it turned out to be an outstanding, thoughtful post on which the OP clearly has worked very hard. The thread title deserves the correction so it can better advertise the terrific content here.

Good work Kurii and Darrenmac!

I'm going to have to come back to this post later to see if I have been playing the game incorrectly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurii Kurii
msg tools
Reworded =)

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurii Kurii
msg tools
I made cut-outs of all the card descriptions so you can put them in sleeves along with the cards. They should fit right.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30972101/Citadels_Card_Desc...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72195/card-description...

I made some final changes that I didn't update in the first post, but they were very minor. Just swapping sentences around and stuff.

Let me know what you think, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter geter
msg tools
Kurii wrote:

(3) Wizard – Once during your turn, you may look at another player’s hand of cards and take 1 card. You must then either put this card into your hand, or pay to build it into your city (does not count towards your 1 district limit per turn). You may build districts identical to a district already in your city this turn (but may only have up to 2 of the same districts).

Hi, where have you found this rule? It is not in FFG rules (page 16, wizard), or any other what I checked. Also in this forum is the same question, with answer "Can Wizard build more than one duplicate?
\yes? \page 16 in rulebook marks no restrictions on this"

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurii wrote:

(2) Tax Collector – If a player builds 1 or more districts in his city, that player must give you 1 gold (if he has any gold left) immediately after the end of his turn. If the Assassin has already built a district card, and has any money left, that player must also pay you 1 gold as soon as you reveal that you have the Tax Collector.

It's also the case that the Witch must also pay the Tax Collector if the Witch built a district card before the Tax Collector's turn.

This could happen if the player with the Witch chose not to use the Witch's power and took a turn normally.

When multiple players begin a round with 7 districts, a player might choose the Witch, not for the special powers, but to go first (and be sure not be bewitched) and get the 4 points for being the first player to build an 8th district.

The Citadels FAQ posted at the Fantasy Flight website misses this detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all great, but it would be nice if there was some sort of official clarification of all of the positions. The official FAQ only touches upon a few of the positions, and doesn't clear up some of the confusing positions and position conflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gates
Australia
flag msg tools
Good news there is an official FAQ now
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Citadels/suppo...
According to this, for University and Dragon Gate the Diplomat/Warlord is based upon card cost not the victory value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.