Subject: OH THE HORROR OF CHOISE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently am close to completing my next order, just need that final game.

I was thinking of getting AP's AUSTERLITZ, but that game seems to have received such devestating comments and nobody wants to admit to even having played it, I reckoned I might be better off changing my mind.

So, what to choose.

I'm considering several block games that all look like they might be fun.

C&C napoleonics allthough I find the simularity to MEMOIR off putting.
nothing against that game but I don't need another MEMOIR.

BOBBY LEE seems good aswel, but I'm rather worried about all them blocks overcrowding the board and I'm not to pleased with the block art I saw so far.

GETTYSBURG BADGE OF COURAGE, also still on the list.
Love the block art, but I wonder if there is a game in that or if it is just a case of copying history as it was.
Must check that one again.

And than there is JULIUS CEASAR, a game I'd dismissed after checking out the photos, but which now has drawn my attention after a castelli video review.

Might be good afterall.

So I wonder if any of you might like to give some guidance in my picking the right game.

If all else fails I can allways go for SPACE EMPIRE 4x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Freddy,

I can only comment on the two that I own. Bobby Lee and Gettysburg: Badges of Courage are both made by Columbia but take a totally different approach to the ACW.

The former is Strategical in scope and covers the war in the East from 1861 to 1865. There is a significant problem with counter density which distracts from enjoyment of the game although the game itself is immensly playable.

The later is grand tactical in scope and covers the three days of Gettysburg. There is a very slight problem with counter density but the game is magnificient; at least in my opinion.

You pays your money and takes your choice and I feel it comes down to the operational level at which you like to play but, of the two above that I have actually played, I would highly recommend Gettysburg: Badges of Courage. Then again, I bought Sam Grant and play both that and Bobby together when I'm in a meglomaniac mood.

Whatever you decide, you have narrowed your choice down to four excellent games so you can't go wrong but, for something completely different, have a look at Lost Battles!

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar definitely. The praise is well-earned. Many great elements such as card levy and really nice special cards. Simple and clean system without too many ankward rules but still manages to create very deep gameplay. You will face agonazing desicisions every turn. The flow of the game is very nice and you'll feel engaded throughout the game. Takes about 2 hours to play. Serves as a nice introductory wargame and probably is the best or certanly of the best block games ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
Julius Caesar definitely. The praise is well-earned. Many great elements such as card levy and reallly nice special cards. Simple and clean system without too many ankward rules but still mamages to create very deep gameplay. You will face agonazing desicisions every turn. The flow of the game is very nice and you'll feel engaded throughout the game. Takes about 2 hours to play. Serves as a nice introductory wargame and probably is the best or certanly of the best block games ever made.

thumbsup

A great 2-player contest. Sits as Columbias best game to date IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

LOST BATTLES, now there's a totaly different game.
Good thing I can't find it in my shop, save me making the decission even more difficult.

Overcrowding of blocks is something that indeed worries me a bit.
How can you keep tracks of things when you can't see the army for the blocks.

Noticed none of you seems keen on CC-napoleontic.
Too Memoiry... right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Thanks guys.

Good thing I can't find it in my shop, save me making the decission even more difficult.

Too Memoiry... right?

CC:N isn't a block game. It's a game played with blocks.
Personally, I've outgrown the C&C system after playing games like Combat Commander.
I don't think you can go wrong with Julius Caesar. Great game. Easy to learn but a lot of depth and decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another for Julius Caesar.

Hammer of the Scots is one of my favorites, but Julius Caesar adds enough different elements and style that it really holds its own in the block wargames.

The rules are excellent for JC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots, allready on the list.

I'm creating my annual shopping list hence the load of games.

Mind you, it would be easier if I could guy from time to time like you guys. Would spread the cost, allthough come to thing of it, probably also increase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Thanks guys.

Too Memoiry... right?

If you are looking for a very light treatment, then you might want to pick up C&C but since you already have Memoir, I can't really recommend it. C&C Napoleonics has the same system as in Memoir and very similar rules. There are some differencies. You shoot by the number of blocks, cavalry( melee tanks) are a bit nerfed, infantry may form a square, more variance in terrain, more variance in units, the gameplay is a bit slower and you can't rush too much, setup is a bit longer, the gameplay more about attacking and treating and especially you want to wait for some of the good cards.

Usually the games take about 90-120 minutes. When you add up the quite slow setup, one game isn't really enough the effort to lay it out on the table, so you might want to play two games in a row. On the other hand, I really think it's on the edge if I want to spend almost 4 hours playing such a light game when I can tackle on a meatier 4-5 hour game nearly in the same amount of time. I have to see further gameplays if I can actually shrink the playing time closer to a 60 minutes per game without having to make totally random desicision during the game. Probably not having to constantly check the player aids makes a bit more smoother gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

Allthough I was initially somewhat charmed by the block art.

I was overcome by a 'this is memoir' feeling..

The problem with this series, well I think so, is the simularity.

Ancients and Napoleonics come with blocks.
Memoir and Battle cry come with miniatures
As does Battle lore by the way, which I also own, subtile differences but in the grand picture they are almost too identical.

The wrong card (my troops wait left, my cards allow right)problem isn't bad if you play a quick fun game with the kids, for which especially memoir suit itself, but if you are involved in a more time consuming game it must become even more annoying when the best planned moves come to naught because of bad hand.

So, another game off my list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully making things even harder for you, I'd most definitely suggest to buy Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 AD. If Crusade theme even slightly appeals to you then I can't see any reason why not to buy this game. Believe me, the system and the mechanics are fantastic in this game. I've been reading the rules and wholeheartly enjoying every bit of them. Artwork seems like a winner also. The game hasn't been released yet, so you might want to wait sometime to see pictures and opinions on the final product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
soblue

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also chime in a vote for Julius Caesar. A very tight and tense 90 minutes. I would also say that C&C Napoleonics is not another Memoir game. I think its the era of warfare most suited to this system. I would even go as far as to say that Napleonics is the ultimate culmination of the Borg games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C:Napoleonics and Ancients are light years from Memoir in terms of play and simulation value.....and play very differently to each other, too. I prefer Ancients but both are excellent and generally underestimated by people who don't step beyond surface impressions.

Julius Caesar is also fantastic. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.